Photo

LeBron for Defensive Player of the Year?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
73 replies to this topic

#1 LeBron+Wade>Jordan+Pippen

LeBron+Wade>Jordan+Pippen

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

I don't know, maybe it is a stupid notion and no one is really talking about it, but I feel like he should have a chance for it. He has been up in the top for the voting in the last couple years, but it would be hard to over throw Dwight Howard, just based on reputation alone. Plus, I think LeBrons MVP run has over shadowed his defensive side.

Disregarding LeBrons MVP run or any of that, and just focusing on defense, he has been pretty impressive this year. I'm sure some of you could help me with the statistical evidence because I didn't look anything up, but I think his steal numbers are as high as they've ever been, and he isn't getting a ton of blocks but a decent amount. The other day he had that 5 steal 2 block game which is pretty nice. But it isn't about that stats at all in my eyes. LeBrons defensive stats aren't spectacular, but they are very solid. Especially to your average NBA player. But its just he presence he has brung on the defensive end. He has the versatitlity to shut down any position on the floor in the same game, and he has been doing it all year.

I can't remember what game it was (I think the Knicks?), but LeBrons defensive intensity was ridiculous. He was disrupting every play and flying all over the court, contesting shots etc. (Actually was the Magic game?). His defensive impact isn't really noticed because everyone is focused on "mvp". I think he held Melo to 11 points and usually shuts down the star player. Especially in crunch time.

Dwight isn't getting a ridiculous amount of blocks this year (2.3 per), and in my eyes that is his best quality. Its solid, but normal for him. Even Javal Mcgee is averaging more blocks, and others. I'm not sure the Magic as a team have the best defensive numbers this year either. I don't think Dwight should win it 12 years in a row because he will always average two blocks a game. I guess they consider rebounds as part of defense, and 15 a game is impressive for anyone, but at the same time LeBron I believe is averaging a career high in rebounds. Is this the year (maybe only ever) LeBron snags the DPOY away from Dwight? Just wanted to hear some thoughts.
Posted Image

#2 ScottiePippen33

ScottiePippen33

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,039 posts
  • LocationStratford,CT/ New Rochelle,NY

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

I understand where your coming from but the ones who are voting not only look at ON THE BALL DEFENSE but the stats too in the 3 categories Rebs, Stls and Blks.

These are the players that may end up getting the award:

These are the categories the voters will be looking at besides watching how the player plays defense on the court.

Rebs, Stls and Blks- This is the order.

Lebron James(Heat) 8.1rpg, 1.8spg, .7bpg

Andrew Iguodala(Sixers): 6.3rpg, 1.9spg, .5bpg

Josh Smith(Hawks): 9.6rpg, 1.5spg, 2.1bpg

Serge Ibaka(Thunders): 7.7rpg, .5spg, 3.2bpg

Dwight Howard(Magic): 15.2rpg, 1.4spg, 2.3bpg

Dwyane Wade(Heat): 4.4rpg, 1.7spg, 1.4bpg

Luol Deng(Bulls): 7.1rpg, 1.1spg, .7bpg

Personally the best on the ball defenders of that list are Lebron, Deng, Wade and Iguodala. Dwight is a very good on the ball defender too besides weak side defender.

Going by the stats Dwight may get DPOY Award for 4 straight year but I don't know if the league wants to give it to him again.

There is a site can't remember it that shows past award winners in this area and show the 3 areas where the voters were looking at the players defense which were the list I just mention rebs, stls and blks.

Majority of those players that won the awards over the years dominated one of that area by the leading the league in it and the ones who won multiple dominated atleast 2/3 of that area while leading the league in one of those area.

Whether that's the Jordan, Rodman, Robinson, Garnett, Moses Malone, Payton and etc...
Posted ImagePosted ImageGreatest Athlete/Artist ever

#3 KKinsey

KKinsey

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

Are you kidding, Wade has a better chance to win it then lebron. Wades a 6'4" guard averaging 1.4 bpg and 1.7 spg. Plus wades on ball D is just as good
Posted Image

#4 2Hot

2Hot

Living Legend

• Moderators
  • 9,679 posts
  • LocationAll Around the World

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:50 PM

For some reason Bron's versatility on D has made a lot of people mistake him for a lock down defender the past couple of years when he is not that. He can just guard positions 1 - 4 effectively (depending on who is at the 4 anyway), which not a lot of other people in the league can say they can. Bron is not even the best defender on the team though, so he doesn't really deserve DPOY mention.

Not to say that he isn't and won't continue to get it, just because his name is LeBron James, but its not really an award I can honestly say I think he should be in the running for.

eamiwtp.jpg

Let's Do It Again...

#5 EGPT

EGPT

All-NBA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

How about Shane Battier? lol.

I know he won't even get a mention since he's not a star player like LeBron but he honestly deserves it more.

#6 heatphin4lyfe

heatphin4lyfe

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,675 posts
  • LocationBorn in FLA. Reside in NC

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

Just win the `ship...TEAM HEAT!

#7 LeBron+Wade>Jordan+Pippen

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:32 PM

How about Shane Battier? lol.

I know he won't even get a mention since he's not a star player like LeBron but he honestly deserves it more.

I wish they would consider on the ball defense more and help defense and stuff like that more. But its more of a combination of that plus stats. LeBron has a pretty good combination of both. Shane is a better one on one defender however, but LeBron not too bad either plus he gets the stats.
Posted Image

#8 LeBron+Wade>Jordan+Pippen

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

For some reason Bron's versatility on D has made a lot of people mistake him for a lock down defender the past couple of years when he is not that. He can just guard positions 1 - 4 effectively (depending on who is at the 4 anyway), which not a lot of other people in the league can say they can. Bron is not even the best defender on the team though, so he doesn't really deserve DPOY mention.

Not to say that he isn't and won't continue to get it, just because his name is LeBron James, but its not really an award I can honestly say I think he should be in the running for.

I wouldn't say he is a lock down defender either, but he usually does pretty good if it is a real test for him (Kobe, Melo etc.), then he seems to step it up. Especially in the 4th quarter regardless. You can tell he tries harder and it is more lockdown. But he is probably the most versatile defender in the league while putting up decent stats, and he disrupts alot of offenses and is a great communicator on defense.

And to the guy all butt hurt about Wade, he is an amazing shot blocker for his size I will give you that, but a better on ball defender than LeBron? Not even close. If we need LeBron to guard Rondo, he can. Kobe? Sure. Dwight? Sometimes. Thats my point.
Posted Image

#9 2Hot

2Hot

Living Legend

• Moderators
  • 9,679 posts
  • LocationAll Around the World

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:07 PM

I wouldn't say he is a lock down defender either, but he usually does pretty good if it is a real test for him (Kobe, Melo etc.), then he seems to step it up. Especially in the 4th quarter regardless. You can tell he tries harder and it is more lockdown. But he is probably the most versatile defender in the league while putting up decent stats, and he disrupts alot of offenses and is a great communicator on defense.

And to the guy all butt hurt about Wade, he is an amazing shot blocker for his size I will give you that, but a better on ball defender than LeBron? Not even close. If we need LeBron to guard Rondo, he can. Kobe? Sure. Dwight? Sometimes. Thats my point.

Wade is absolutely a better on ball defender than LeBron, its only help defense where they are comparable. Bron obviously can be counted on to defend bigger players though, and his length can sometimes bother smaller players, but did you just say Bron can guard Dwight? :lol: :lol: :lol:

eamiwtp.jpg

Let's Do It Again...

#10 Doors

Doors

Rotation Player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

wade is a better on ball defender then lebron. when guarding none shooters lebron is good, he had so many clutch defensive stops on drose last year in the playoffs. but when he guards ppl like kobe or kd or melo, he doesn't play very tight because they are quick so they can blow past him, and we he plays off them a bit, they shoot it in his eye lol

but to point out, wade is a better on ball defender to PERIMETER players only; he is shorter and has a lower to the ground and better stance and hes quicker because he weighs less. lebron for his size and height to be able to guard pgs like paul or rose or any G is amazing and that just puts him ahead of wade because lebron can also defend against bigger players like love, staudimire, josh smith, etc. wade wud get bullied by these players.
Lebron's beastness Wade's Swiftness Bosh's Smoothness = Dynasty!!! LEWASH ;)

#11 Scar

Scar

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,138 posts
  • LocationThe Wood

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:59 PM

I mean...

LeBron can guard practically anyone on the floor.

We have seen him guard Rose all the way to defending Howard. From PG to C. Can anyone else defend all 5 positions as easily as LeBron can?

I don't think so.

So, yes, i think he does deserve to be a candidate for DPotY. Do I think he will get it, prolly not.

Haters will hate.

Imitation is the best form of flattery

Inaugural Miami Heat Forum Fantasy Basketball Champion! (2013)

#12 joeyhalog

joeyhalog

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

LOL @ the wade fanboyS again
Posted Image

#13 LeBron+Wade>Jordan+Pippen

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

Wade is absolutely a better on ball defender than LeBron, its only help defense where they are comparable. Bron obviously can be counted on to defend bigger players though, and his length can sometimes bother smaller players, but did you just say Bron can guard Dwight? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well he can't guard Dwight consistently for a whole game, but for short stretches. It was slight exaggeration but it was to make a point. And Wade is a better on the ball defender than LeBron? I guess we aren't watching the same game.
Posted Image

#14 LeBron+Wade>Jordan+Pippen

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

wade is a better on ball defender then lebron. when guarding none shooters lebron is good, he had so many clutch defensive stops on drose last year in the playoffs. but when he guards ppl like kobe or kd or melo, he doesn't play very tight because they are quick so they can blow past him, and we he plays off them a bit, they shoot it in his eye lol

but to point out, wade is a better on ball defender to PERIMETER players only; he is shorter and has a lower to the ground and better stance and hes quicker because he weighs less. lebron for his size and height to be able to guard pgs like paul or rose or any G is amazing and that just puts him ahead of wade because lebron can also defend against bigger players like love, staudimire, josh smith, etc. wade wud get bullied by these players.

This sums it up pretty well. Wade might be better with the quicker guards, but at the same time, its almost always LeBron we put on point guards in the 4th if needed when its clutch time, and it doesn't make much sense if Wade would be the better defender, then we would put Wade on them. Maybe LeBron size and length makes it more difficult for point guards to see and get off passes. But still, its LeBron that is on them.

But he is still best with the small forwards and power forwards on defense. Wade can maybe guard some small forwards if needed, but for the most part he can't guard those power guys. Thats why I say LeBron is better on the ball. Not to say Wade is horrible on the ball, but in my eyes LeBron is clearly better. Wade might be better at reading the passing lanes.
Posted Image

#15 KKinsey

KKinsey

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:13 PM

On the ball D applys more to guards on the perimeter. Yeah obviously lebron is better against the bigger players in the post but he is not as quick as wade is lateraly to guard the guards
Posted Image

#16 LeBron+Wade>Jordan+Pippen

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

Case in point, tonight LeBron is matched up with Camby, and can switch off on anyone on a screen.
Posted Image

#17 BrokenPromiseMVP@LBJ

BrokenPromiseMVP@LBJ

All-Star

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:06 AM

Howard's got this award on lockdown those stats are head and shoulders above the rest by no small margin even if Lebron could get his bpg to match Howard's or Wade could get his rpg to match Lebron's neither of them would even be close enough to take it from Howard and Josh Smith and Serge Ibaka are still next in line really after Howard from looks of it.

#18 ScottiePippen33

ScottiePippen33

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,039 posts
  • LocationStratford,CT/ New Rochelle,NY

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:55 AM

I agree with Zo Knows Basketball I see Howard winning again.

Both Wade and Bron are great defenders in many ways whether on the ball, weak side or guarding certain players.

Lebron of course is more versal b/c he's the bigger and taller player but Wade can hold his own though when vs some taller players.

All I know is Wade better make it to the all nba first defensive team this year especially over Kobe but I have a feeling that Wade will be slight or overlook again as usual.
Posted ImagePosted ImageGreatest Athlete/Artist ever

#19 LeBron+Wade>Jordan+Pippen

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

Wow, last night against the Blazers proves my point again. Just amazing defensively. Guarded all 5 positions, and was everywhere on D. He even took a charge last night. Had 5 steals..... I'm telling ya he should be DPOY. Its gonna be stupid if Dwight gets it every year from now on while he is in the freakin league.
Posted Image

#20 KKinsey

KKinsey

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:28 AM

Most of the steals he got last night were balls that landed right in his hands, that other players created. He did play very good last night though!!!
Posted Image