Photo

HEAT at Suns Official Game Thread and Preview

Miami HEAT Phoenix Suns Preview

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#1 Danny

Danny

All-NBA

• Administrators
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

Posted Image

The Miami HEAT finish their six game road trip tonight as they take on the Phoenix Suns. The HEAT are 3-2 on the trip and 7-3 overall.

1. Doesn't seem that long ago that we saw the Suns in Miami. What changes tonight?

Couper Moorhead: Nothing will be different until the Suns prove they can defend Miami’s pick-and-rolls regularly throughout the course of the game. Marcin Gortat is good enough to cover for a number of mistakes at the rim, but if he’s constantly having to cover distance because LeBron James is turning the corner off screens with ease, then Chris Bosh is going to once again enjoy plenty of looks in space.

Danny Martinez: The biggest difference is the HEAT are playing the sixth and final game of their road trip. The HEAT have played in six games in eight days and four timezones. Fatigue may be setting in a little bit. Also, the HEAT may be without their starting backcourt. If that’s the case, the dynamic changes a little, but the HEAT have the horses to be just fine.

2. Many people have been surprised by the Suns' early-season record. What's helping them out so far?

Couper: The Suns’ offense was propped up by some unsustainably high percentages in the mid-range, where they take as many or more jumper as any other team in the league, including Boston and Philadelphia, but those rates have already started to fall. Phoenix was also enjoying having more than half of their shots with less than four seconds left on the shot clock – those contest, scrambling shots that are never one of the first three options in a possession – going in, but again that’s not something that can last very well over time. This is why you play process over results. A few games worth of a sample size really doesn’t mean much at all.

Danny: The Suns have had the benefit of an easy slate and have only had one back-to-back. Still, the Suns have to be happy with a 4-5 record. Their overall point differential indicates that that record isn’t sustainable. A couple of close wins have buoyed them, but over time it looks like they’ll slip some.

3. How good has LeBron been in the clutch so far?

Couper: This has been the topic of the week for us because of a couple of very close games, and it led me to do a little digging. Over the past two seasons and change with Miami, LeBron has a PER (player efficiency rating) over 34, by far the highest mark in the league, and when you consider that league average in that category is 15 and LeBron usually hovers around 28-30, you could even argue that he has raised his level of play late in games. These days, if you still claim that LeBron isn’t clutch, you’re living on a different planet.

Danny: LeBron has been LeBron in the clutch. His play in the last five minutes of close games has been exceptional. His play in the first 43 minutes of games has been exceptional. One of LeBron’s best features is that he doesn’t change his game for specific scenarios. He makes the right read regardless of any situation. It is what’s helped the HEAT win some close games themselves.

4. How much will the team benefit from the end of the road trip?

Couper: When this game ends, the HEAT will begin a stretch of three games in 13 days. Just what the doctor ordered when you’re suffering from a number of issues on the defensive end that require more than just an hour shootaround to fix. Erik Spoelstra is going to be talking a ton about defense over the next two weeks, and assuming everyone gets healthy be prepared for a more familiar Miami defense come December – something we’re already seeing hints of in fourth quarters when Miami’s defensive efficiency has been among the best in the league.

Danny: A lot. Not only was the road trip long, but the games were all squished together and while being spread out all over the country. When the HEAT return to Miami early Sunday morning, they’ll settle into a long stretch of home games with plenty of days off sprinkled in. That will provide the HEAT players and coaches ample time to tie up any loose ends that the road trip exposed.

5. If Mario Chalmers can't play, what do you expect from Norris Cole?

Couper: Cole hasn’t been perfect, but he’s fitting into the overall scheme of things much better than he did last year. He hasn’t converted on a high rate of his threes, but his shot looks much improved and his percentages should eventually rise if he keeps his current form. Cole still gets a little too aggressive challenging shotblockers at the rim, but we’re also seeing him mature in that area, going to a floater earlier in a drive rather than forcing contact. It’s tough to notice all the little things at times, but Cole is definitely still growing as a player, one capable of having an impact on a game even if he isn’t making jumpers or getting steals.

Danny: Norris Cole has made strides this season in maintaining control in any situation. He’s settled his pace and been able to work effectively in pick-and-rolls. Against the Suns, Cole doesn’t have to do anything particularly special. He needs play solid defense and let the offense come to him. As evidenced by his shot against the Suns, Cole isn’t afraid to let it fly. While he may be thrust into a bigger role, he doesn’t need to press and force plays that aren’t there.

#2 Scar

Scar

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,193 posts
  • LocationThe Wood

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

Wade can afford to rest again in this one.

Imitation is the best form of flattery

Inaugural Miami Heat Forum Fantasy Basketball Champion! (2013)

#3 Wuchuhurd

Wuchuhurd

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

Thank goodness for 3 games in 13 days, this recent trip feels like the condensed schedule of last season
1zg3qc8.jpg

#4 305LWB

305LWB

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,149 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

Hopefully we can win this game, 4-2 on this road trip is decent. Phoenix is on a back2back too, that should make it a little more doable.

#5 305LWB

305LWB

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,149 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

Looks like LeBron has the flu and might not play and Wades foot is still bothering him so he won't play either. Also it looks like Chalmers will play. Hopefully we can do what we did against Atlanta last year.

#6 KKinsey

KKinsey

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,058 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

Bosh's time to shine.
Posted Image

#7 Lucky06

Lucky06

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,722 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

Thank goodness for 3 games in 13 days, this recent trip feels like the condensed schedule of last season

Great for the players

But boring to the fans

#8 Danny

Danny

All-NBA

• Administrators
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

Infernoians Preview

1. Doesn't seem that long ago that we saw the Suns in Miami. What changes tonight?

Although this is the last game of the Heat’s grueling six game road trip I don’t believe fatigue will be a deciding factor in tonight’s matchup. With a day off yesterday I think we’ll see an energized team poised to close out the trip on a strong note. The Suns are still the same team we saw on November 5th so as long as LeBron’s cold doesn’t keep him out of the lineup the Heat should be able to get the “W”.

2. Many people have been surprised by the Suns' early-season record. What's helping them out so far?

Having played six of their ten games against teams under .500 can’t hurt. For the Suns a 4-6 record is acceptable for now but having played only ten games out of eighty two is not enough to tell how good or bad they actually are. As their schedule gets tougher we will have a better indication on where this team is.

3. How good has LeBron been in the clutch so far?

There really isn’t a word good enough to describe how clutch LeBron James has been this season. There are so many numbers we can throw at you to show how clutch he has been but we’d be here forever. LeBron is not only a clutch player but quite possibly the most clutch this league has to offer. For those of you that have not yet read it/ or are interested in seeing LeBron in the clutch numbers I recommend reading an article Coup wrote earlier this week titled “On LeBron in the clutch”.http://t.co/irVWYWad

4. How much will the team benefit from the end of the road trip?

Saying that the Miami Heat will benefit from the road trip ending might be an understatement. With a team that has not only endured two back to back games but has gone through it with players under the weather and injured this road trip coming to a close will do wonders for them.

5. If Mario Chalmers can't play, what do you expect from Norris Cole?

We should expect to see his points and assist totals go up assuming he gets what is expected to be more playing time. Other than that I think we’ll see some more turn overs than usual but should expect a decent night. Would be great to see him take advantage of the opportunity he will be given tonight.

#9 Wuchuhurd

Wuchuhurd

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

Bron and Rio good to go
1zg3qc8.jpg

#10 heatphin4lyfe

heatphin4lyfe

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,802 posts
  • LocationBorn in FLA. Reside in NC

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

MIAMI should have enough to win with it's depleted roster even if WADE/LEBRON don't play.Either way Phoneix should be a good test for the HEAT,allowing MIAMI to work on it's rebounding and perimeter defense.Looking forward to a competitive game nonetheless...TEAM HEAT since '88!

#11 Baller3

Baller3

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

LeBron will play tonight. I think he has been a bit frustrated from having to carry this team on his shoulders every night while Wade has constantly sat out games for the past two years.
Posted Image

"My attitude is that if you push me towards something that you think is a weakness, then I will turn that perceived weakness into a strength." - Michael Jordan

#12 heatphin4lyfe

heatphin4lyfe

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,802 posts
  • LocationBorn in FLA. Reside in NC

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

LeBron will play tonight. I think he has been a bit frustrated from having to carry this team on his shoulders every night while Wade has constantly sat out games for the past two years.

C'mon man,don't start that debate...TEAM HEAT since '88!

#13 Kid Clutch

Kid Clutch

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

I think he has been a bit frustrated from having annoying fans. This makes about as much sense as what you just said.

#14 2Hot

2Hot

Living Legend

• Moderators
  • 9,768 posts
  • LocationAll Around the World

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

You have no idea what you're talking about, I HIGHLY doubt he minds at all. I just hope he doesn't overwork himself. There's zero reason to play with a flu in a regular season game at the beginning of the season against the Suns

eamiwtp.jpg

Let's Do It Again...

#15 Baller3

Baller3

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

I told y'all he would play tonight. 300 more games to go until he reach 1,000.
Posted Image

"My attitude is that if you push me towards something that you think is a weakness, then I will turn that perceived weakness into a strength." - Michael Jordan

#16 Baller3

Baller3

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

I'm surprised that Chalmers didn't missed that layup. lol
Posted Image

#17 G-Manny

G-Manny

All-NBA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

sad but true, everything works better without wade

#18 G-Manny

G-Manny

All-NBA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

Miller the HUSTLER!!!

#19 Baller3

Baller3

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

Slow *** Chalmers. smh.
Posted Image

#20 Baller3

Baller3

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

Once LeBron is out of the game, they're all looking like headless chickens on the court.
Posted Image