Photo

Cavaliers at HEAT Official Game Thread and Preview

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
148 replies to this topic

#1 Danny

Danny

All-NBA

• Administrators
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

Posted Image
(David Liam Kyle)

The Miami HEAT host the Cleveland Cavaliers tonight at AmericanAirlines Arena. The HEAT, 9-3, sit atop the Eastern Conference standings for the first time this season. Tip off is set for 7:30 PM; coverage starts at 7 PM on Sun Sports.

1. Kyrie Irving is out tonight, unfortunately, but just a little ways into his sophomore year, is he a Top 5 point guard?

Couper Moorhead: Let's see, there's Chris Paul and...yep, Kyrie Irving is a Top 5 point guard. His assist rates leave a little to be desired still, but that is also partly a function of being on a team that struggled shooting the ball. You can make an argument for other point guards being a better, and healthier, player today, but there's no way Irving isn't I. The conversation these days. Shame it'll take a little while for the public discourse to catch up.

Danny Martinez: It’s really hard to answer that question, which is a testament to just how good he is. Irving is certainly in the discussion for being a top-tier point guard, whether that means he’s top five or top ten it doesn’t really matter. All that matters is that Irving is a bona fide star. The Cavaliers have a lot to be excited about with him.

2. Without Irving, where does Cleveland get its playmaking from?

Couper: Jeremy Pargo has been a decent fill in so far, but he can't drive-and-kick or run the pick-and-roll anything like Irving can in getting the offense started. That means Dion Waiters has to shoulder the burden, but even with flashes here and there, much of his playmaking is for himself, and he's already started regressing to the mean after a hot start taking jumpers off the dribble.

Danny: Jeremy Pargo delivered it for the Cavs earlier in the week, but I hope to see them rely on rookie guard Dion Waiters. Waiters has had some big games this season playing off the ball. I’d like to see him create for others. If he can do a capable job, Cleveland will have a scary backcourt in the very near future.

3. Have we reached the point where LeBron vs. Cleveland doesn't really matter anymore?

Couper: That first game back in Cleveland two years ago was something special in terms of narrative and atmosphere - one of the few times the story lines were entirely appropriate - but since then each game has been less of an event. With so few of LeBron's former teammates on the team these days, and the national vitriol having died down significantly, the Cleveland-Miami matchup just feels like another game.

Danny: Yes and no. I’m sure there are many people who are still upset, but the Cavaliers organization has moved on. With Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson and Dion Waiters, the Cavaliers have some really fun building blocks. The storyline for these HEAT-Cavs matchups should be the Cavs’ young guns taking on the champion HEAT.

4. Is Anderson Varejao one of the most underrated players in the league?

Couper: Funny how we forget about players when they miss such a huge chunk of time. Varejao had always been one of the league's best rebounding big men, he never takes plays off and has wonderful instincts in the pick-and-roll despite an inconsistent jumper. Combine that with standout defense and you easily have yourself an under appreciated big man. Now just imagine how people are going to react after a month or so without Irving.

Danny: Definitely. Varejao missed some time and had the misfortune of playing on some below average teams. That all led to fewer eyeballs on his game on a nightly basis. Varejao is efficient from the floor and dominates on the glass. In fact, he currently leads the NBA in total rebounding percentage. Hopefully Varejao gets his due this season. He’s been excellent.

5. Spoelstra did some experimenting with lineups against the Bucks. Was there anything to it?

Couper: Rashard Lewis was sick, so that automatically makes it impossible to take much from it, but the biggest difference was playing a Ray Allen and Chris Bosh centric bench lineup early in the second quarter. Miami has struggled with scoring in the first six minutes of the second quarter for the last two seasons, and Spoelstra has often taken regular season games as a chance to try new things. We'll see if anything sticks without affecting the effectiveness of the rest of the rotation.

Danny: No. Rashard Lewis was sick. His absence shuffled everything up, so I wouldn’t read much into the substitution patterns. The HEAT did go with a fun three-guard lineup for a stretch in the fourth quarter, but that had as much to do with Milwaukee’s configuration as anything. Nothing to see here except for what Couper mentioned, those beginning of second quarter lineups.

#2 Scar

Scar

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • LocationThe Wood

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:16 AM

Hey Danny, we are 9-3 brochacho. ;)

Also, tonight is WHITE HOT Saturday! New unis!

Imitation is the best form of flattery

Inaugural Miami Heat Forum Fantasy Basketball Champion! (2013)

#3 Master Spo™

Master Spo™

All-NBA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,273 posts
  • LocationAtlantis The Palm Jumeirah, Dubai, UAE

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

I'm guessing 12 3 pt shots tonight, not bad and P1 in the East baby!

#4 Kid Clutch

Kid Clutch

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

Not much of a test without Kyrie. Only thing to see will be if Varejao gets like 30 rebounds or something...

#5 Switchblade

Switchblade

Living Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,256 posts
  • LocationPort St. Lucie, FL-Where NOTHING Happens.

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

Keeping Varejao off of the glass is not going to happen. He is going to get his. It's keeping him off of the offensive glass that will be key, and that falls on Bosh to keep his position and get his defensive rebounds tonight. If Bosh rebounds sub-par (less than ten, IMO), Varejao is going to get them a lot of second possessions.

Otherwise, without Kyrie Irving, I don't see Wade or Chalmers having too much trouble with containing their backcourt.

I'd like to see Allen have a good night tonight. Just because. I predict him hitting four three-pointers.

My Prediction:

HEAT 113
Cavaliers 94
Posted Image

#6 LeBron+Wade>Jordan+Pippen

LeBron+Wade>Jordan+Pippen

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

Varejao is the only one that can hurt us. Our weakness is rebounding, and that is his specialty, leading the league in boards. Also, people compare Dion Waiters to a mini DWade, so that match up will be interesting as that is now their go-to player offensively with Kyrie out.

All in all, I would be disappointed if we don't win by 30 tonight :D
Posted Image

#7 Kid Clutch

Kid Clutch

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

Still without Irving, unless some scrubs have career nights against us(which has happened many times this season), we should easily.

#8 Skip B

Skip B

All-Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Canada

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

All in all, I would be disappointed if we don't win by 30 tonight :D

I like your thinking

Please, post the signature one more time...

#9 Scar

Scar

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • LocationThe Wood

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

Still without Irving, unless some scrubs have career nights against us(which has happened many times this season), we should easily.

ESPN finally caught onto this.

http://espn.go.com/b...s-best-and-more

Imitation is the best form of flattery

Inaugural Miami Heat Forum Fantasy Basketball Champion! (2013)

#10 Lucky06

Lucky06

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,722 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

Jeremy Pargo 50 pts
Varejao 30 pts & 30 rebounds

Luke Walton for the win <_<

SMH team for laxing cause Kyrie isnt playin

#11 Skip B

Skip B

All-Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Canada

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

Heat first to 20 and 106 pts or over

Please, post the signature one more time...

#12 heatphin4lyfe

heatphin4lyfe

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,801 posts
  • LocationBorn in FLA. Reside in NC

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

Man,I hope MIAMI don't relax on these dudes.Tonight should be an opportunity for the HEAT to work on some deficiencies,and the BIG3 should be able take the fourth quarter off..TEAM HEAT since '88!

#13 305LWB

305LWB

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,149 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

Please don't let Varejao own us on the boards tonight lol.

#14 Lucky06

Lucky06

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,722 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

LOL Cavs 6-3 start

SMH Wade missing layup & 2 turnovers

#15 305LWB

305LWB

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,149 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

*** is Wade doing lol.

#16 305LWB

305LWB

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,149 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

This team just loves letting teams hang around. Also Wades defense has been pathetic.

#17 Lucky06

Lucky06

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,722 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

LOL 7 rebs already,Please hit the 30 reb mark

Varejao auditioning for title contending teams, letting them know he rapes the Heat

His talents is being wasted on a rebuilding team like Cavs

#18 305LWB

305LWB

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,149 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

LOL 7 rebs already
Please hit the 30 reb mark

Varejao auditioning for title contending teams, letting them know he rapes the Heat

Yup,wish we had a player like him.

#19 Kid Clutch

Kid Clutch

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

Lol turnovers.

#20 305LWB

305LWB