Photo

Wizards at HEAT Official Game Thread and Preview

Miami HEAT Washington Wizards Preview

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

#1 Danny

Danny

All-NBA

• Administrators
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

Posted Image(Photo Credit: Issac Baldizon)

The Miami HEAT host the Southeast Division rival Washington Wizards tonight at AmericanAirlines Arena. The HEAT enter with a record of 14-6. The Wizards are 3-17 with a victory over the HEAT. Tip off is set for 7:30 PM; coverage starts on Sun Sports at 7 PM.

1. We’re not too far removed from the HEAT losing to the Wizards up in Washington. What was the biggest issue in that game?
Couper Moorhead: For three quarters, that was probably the HEAT’s most lethargic defensive performance of the season. Rotations were more than a step slow, the Wizards were walking into the paint for offensive rebounds and while the Wizards actually played a very good game – moving the ball much better than they usually do --- they were still too often able to get a decent look with just one pass. By the fourth quarter, the HEAT put things together, played stronger defense and generally lost because of at least three open three pointers not falling in the final minutes, but players and coaches generally agreed afterwards that they should never have been in that position in the first place.

Danny Martinez: The defense early on was lacking. The Wizards were able to get open shots from all over the floor. There was little resistance. When there was some resistance, the HEAT often fouled. For a team that doesn’t foul much, the HEAT sent the Wizards to the line far too often. Late in the game the HEAT’s offense sputtered, but that’s just because the open shots didn’t fall. The process was good, the results just didn’t match.

2. Without A.J. Price now in addition to no John Wall, how do the Wizards create shots?

Couper: The burden falls to Shaun Livingston now. It’s remarkable that Livingston is still in the league after his catastrophic knee injury so many years ago, but he’s a limited playmaker these days and isn’t likely to get things humming along without help from others. You’ll likely see more simple things like post-ups for Nene and off-ball screens for Bradley Beal, but Washington is also going to have to rely on Jordan Crawford to create more shots to himself. He can do that, and he can score in bunches, but Crawford isn’t going to be the heart of an efficient attack doing those things with too much volume.

Danny: I wondered how the Wizards were going to create shots in the first matchup, and they did just fine. Jordan Crawford is a volume shooter who’s unafraid of putting up the most contested of shots. Outside of him, the Wizards are going to rely on dribble penetration breaking the HEAT defense down. Shaun Livingston will carry a lot of that burden. I’m curious to see how it plays out.

3. Was the Warriors loss a continuation of recent defensive issues, or did you see some improvement?

Couper: I actually thought the HEAT defended reasonably well for most of the game despite Klay Thompson’s five first-half threes, many of which were decently contested. Norris Cole has been a revelation on defense this season and continued his streak of shutting down point guards in holding Steph Curry to 1-of-4 shooting when they shared the court, but Cole was defending well even when the rest of the team was struggling, and rotations on the whole were more on point. Of course they lost the game on a defensive miscue – Shane Battier took responsibility for jumping out on the down-screen too early – but that had a bit more to do with the Warriors executing a brilliantly timed, well-spaced set than any long-standing issue that Miami has.

Danny: That was a pretty good defensive outing for the HEAT. The Warriors scored right around the league average points per possession, even with Klay Thompson making everything in the first half. The last possession was a defensive breakdown, but it was also a great play by a rookie and a savvy veteran. In my opinion, the Warriors game was definitely a step in the right direction.

#2 Wuchuhurd

Wuchuhurd

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

Playing against more backups? Just great

10wl185.jpg

#3 Scar

Scar

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,896 posts
  • LocationThe Wood

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

A team of scrubs! Our biggest weakness!

Imitation is the best form of flattery

Inaugural Miami Heat Forum Fantasy Basketball Champion! (2013)

#4 heatphin4lyfe

heatphin4lyfe

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts
  • LocationBorn in FLA. Reside in NC

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

After losing 3 of the last 5 games,are the MIAMI HEAT ready to shift into a higher gear? Let's hope a few lessons has been learned,and MIAMI start dominating these inferior teams. Tonight's game should tell the fans a lot more about our beloved team...TEAM HEAT since '88!

#5 O-Dogg

O-Dogg

Role Player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

we shouldnt've even lost to the Washington Generals in the 1st place smh
Signature Removed: Way too big

#6 Goodyou

Goodyou

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

After losing 3 of the last 5 games,are the MIAMI HEAT ready to shift into a higher gear? Let's hope a few lessons has been learned,and MIAMI start dominating these inferior teams. Tonight's game should tell the fans a lot more about our beloved team...TEAM HEAT since '88!

Probably not. Miami will more then likely choose to coast through the season until after the all-star break. At which point they will mildly turn it up. From what I have seen, they lack the desire to be the greatest they can, and instead rest on the shoulders of their potential. You'll continue to see this team lose to mediocre clubs and beat playoff bound ones.

That being said, HEAT by +15.
"Doctors and scientists agreed that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead."

-Roger Bannister, after becoming the first person to break the four-minute mile.

#7 Lucky06

Lucky06

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,451 posts
  • Location3rd World Tribal Jungle

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

Didnt we lose to these scrubs just weeks ago <_<

No Worries, Lakers yesterday softened it up for us so it's a guaranteed blowout win

Legod_zpsc69a82cc.jpg

#8 305LWB

305LWB

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,007 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

Chalmers needs to stop trying to penetrate so much and just shoot the ball. Great start though.
Posted Image

#9 Lucky06

Lucky06

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,451 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

Nice to see our team finally stepping up with Bron is shooting ice cold

Legod_zpsc69a82cc.jpg

#10 Goodyou

Goodyou

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

Chalmers needs to stop trying to penetrate so much and just shoot the ball. Great start though.

Dude gets flack no matter what he does.
"Doctors and scientists agreed that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead."

-Roger Bannister, after becoming the first person to break the four-minute mile.

#11 Wuchuhurd

Wuchuhurd

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

This team sure knows how to sustain a lead /sarcasm

10wl185.jpg

#12 305LWB

305LWB

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,007 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

LeBron has been so horrible at the line.
Posted Image

#13 VPD

VPD

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

what's wrong with LBJ in shooting FTs this season?

#14 305LWB

305LWB

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,007 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

OT but Rubio is back!
Posted Image

#15 Lakers

Lakers

Rotation Player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

we need to get ray ray more looks
"81 points isn't some NBA 2K record, this is real life goat stuff"
- Lakers

#16 KKinsey

KKinsey

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,812 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

we need to get ray ray more looks

Forgot to switch accounts again eh DP?
Posted Image

#17 305LWB

305LWB

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,007 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

SMH at the lack of calls for Wade and LeBron
Posted Image

#18 Lucky06

Lucky06

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,451 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

SMH at the lack of calls for Wade and LeBron

Stop hostaging the fans, it's already a blowout win against the Wizards anyway

Legod_zpsc69a82cc.jpg

#19 KKinsey

KKinsey

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,812 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

Wow I'm sorry but that was sad. Lebron needed his 20 Pts so he started going Kobe on the Wizards that we're down by 30.
Posted Image

#20 LebronaldPalmer45.

LebronaldPalmer45.

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • LocationP U R P L E Draaank!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

Wow I'm sorry but that was sad. Lebron needed his 20 Pts so he started going Kobe on the Wizards that we're down by 30.

Aye the Wizards be ballinn. He just wanted to make it a bigger lead lol.
Posted Image