Photo

Inferno Conversation: Joel Anthony

Miami HEAT Joel Anthony

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#1 Danny

Danny

All-NBA

• Administrators
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

Posted Image
Joel Anthony contains a pick-and-roll, a little thing (Photo Credit: Issac Baldizon)

I sat down with Joel Anthony after practice to ask questions submitted by you guys, the residents of The Inferno. We got to some pretty good stuff.

@CPw0rld: Since you joined the HEAT in 2007 who has had the biggest impact on you and your game?

Keith Askins. I’ve been working with him since I’ve been here. Since the summer I was first trying to make the team. We’ve been working pretty much every day since I’ve stepped through these doors.

@CPw0rld: If you weren't playing in the NBA, what would you be doing today?

That’s a tough question. I couldn’t tell you. Before my love for basketball I really loved computers. I used to be interested in computer science. I was pretty big into programming and stuff like that. It’s something that interested me when I was younger. I don’t know why, but I’ve always been into anything technology related.

KKinsey: What do you like to do in your free time?

I’m pretty much a homebody. I stay in. Sometimes I may get together with some friends and eat. I go eat with my teammates sometimes. We just hang out and talk. Real simple, regular stuff.

KKinsey: Have you ever made a three-pointer in practice or a game?

In practice. Not in a game. You probably won’t see me take one during a game. Actually, I took a halfcourt shot in a game once. I don’t know if that counts, but the buzzer was going down and the ball got thrown to me last minute so I took a halfcourt shot.

KKinsey: How did you feel after you dunked it in between three Atlanta Hawks players last year?

It was a good play. I just felt it was a good play. That was pretty much it. I was just focused on getting back on defense after that.

KKinsey: Why don’t you ever complain after a foul is called on you?

I complain, just most people don’t see. I’m just not animated. I think if I was more animated I’d be closer to getting a tech. So I do complain, at times, to the ref, but for the most part, they’re either not going to listen or nothing is going to change. So I just focus on the next play.

305LWB: Who do you enjoy blocking the most in practice?

Dwyane. Dwyane, Dwyane Dwyane. If I can get a block on Dwyane, that’s my highlight. Fun fact: I didn’t get my first block on Dwyane until last year.

305LWB: Do you like the nickname The Warden?

Everyone always asks me that as if I don’t like it. It’s a nice nickname. I like it. I always say I appreciate the fans for giving it to me. I’m just surprised that people call me that. I’ll be out, especially more now, and people will be like, “Warden! It’s the Warden!” So it’s nice.

WB3: What is your relationship with Alonzo Mourning like and how has he helped you and your game?

It’s been good. I just had that one year with him. But his wealth of knowledge and experience had such an impact on me. When I first came in here, I was just trying to learn the NBA game. I was fortunate enough to see Zo play on the team. To see him play live and even up until his last year, he’d do amazing things. I remember one of the first plays in one of the first games of the year, someone took off and tried to dunk on him and he grabbed it right at the rim. Off of no warm up, not getting into it or anything. Just right away. That’s what he’s all about. Seeing him on the court was great. Off the court he was just a great vet. He had me over to his house before. I definitely appreciate being able to talk with him and ask him about the game.

ThunderDAN: Who is your all-time favorite player?

I don’t know. That’s pretty tough. Olajuwon was a player that I always so impressed with. Just because his size and ability. That might be one of the all-time players.

ThunderDAN: What is your favorite movie?

There’s a Jamaican movie called Shottas that I always watched with my friends. That was one of my favorites growing up.

ThunderDAN: Do you have a favorite Canadian musical artist or band?

Not really. When I was younger there was an artist names Socrates that was really good. A rapper from Toronto.

ThunderDAN: What is your favorite Halloween costume that you have worn?

I can’t really remember. I had a Spiderman costume one time that I liked…Actually, I’ve never told anyone this, I went as Urkel one time. I had the whole gimmick. The suspenders and glasses, doing the walk. It was funny.

heat_em_up_and_eat_em: Many people have noticed that when you're on the court, the team's defense is a lot better. What can you say about that?

Just really focusing in on the details. The little details that often times might go unnoticed. The stuff like making sure you’re aggressive on your shows, how fast you’re able to rotate back. That type of energy. That’s what energy guys like me have to try to do. That energy is for those little things that aren’t always going to be noticed by anyone, but that do make a difference. Those things that still matter. Just trying to do my job. When I’m out there, that’s one of the things that I have to do when I’m on the court. If I don’t do that, I’m not helping the team. That’s something that I try to focus on.

Wuchuhurd: What do you plan on doing after your basketball career is over?

Definitely settle down and have a family. That’s something I definitely look forward to. Playing and having a family. Watching them grow up. Apart from that, there’s a few different things. I want to be able to do things back in the community in Montreal. Being able to help kids is something that I’ve always liked to do. The opportunity to give back, with every thing I’ve done here with my time spent in the NBA, I want to be able to use that to help out and give back to kids there. I also want to go back to Antigua, where my family is originally from, and be able to do some things back there. There’s a few things that I’m working on.

LebronaldPalmer45: If you could poster one person on HEAT, who would it be?

If I could, it’d probably someone I haven’t. So CB. I would talk about it to him every single day.

#2 AMas92

AMas92

Role Player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

This was fantastic. Great questions. I wish someone asked him about the *ahem* offseason fun he had at that festival.

#3 KKinsey

KKinsey

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

That was great!!!
Posted Image

#4 Lucky06

Lucky06

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,722 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

Sad Danny u didnt ask my question :(

#5 LebronaldPalmer45.

LebronaldPalmer45.

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • LocationP U R P L E Draaank!

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

I actually like that movie Shottas haha. Its a hoodflick.

Thanks for asking him one of my questions Danny. I should of asked him, Who would win in a one and one him or Spo? Daamn.
Posted Image

#6 Goodyou

Goodyou

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

Damn I must have missed this one. Good questions though! Who are you aiming for next?
"Doctors and scientists agreed that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead."

-Roger Bannister, after becoming the first person to break the four-minute mile.

#7 LeBron+Wade>Jordan+Pippen

LeBron+Wade>Jordan+Pippen

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

Nice! Joel gave some good answers.
Posted Image

#8 ThunderDAN

ThunderDAN

Living Legend

• Moderators
  • 5,065 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

the costume answer is the best!

also did not expect the computer science answer..

..but nobody cares what crazy ol' Dan Majerle thinks

KxKMltE.gif

#9 heatphin4lyfe

heatphin4lyfe

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,857 posts
  • LocationBorn in FLA. Reside in NC

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

Nice interview Danny,whose next?...TEAM HEAT since '88!

#10 KKinsey

KKinsey

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

the costume answer is the best!

I know!!! I can picture him in that Urkel costume. That would be some funny **** to see.
Posted Image

#11 Danny

Danny

All-NBA

• Administrators
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

Maybe Rio. I think I'll wait a few weeks though. I'll probably do this again in January. I'm glad you guys like it. I think it's pretty fun. The players seem to like the questions. Definitely a nice mix of basketball and real life.

#12 SlyB33r

SlyB33r

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

Me neither! The Warden into programming huh? Now that's something.

Thank you very much Danny! These interviews definitely make my day especially since these questions are coming from the Heat community! Keep it up! :)

Introducing the new Miami Heat shot clock. Now with 20% less cheese.runaway.gif

#13 305LWB

305LWB

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,164 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:17 PM

Lol Joel saying he would talk trash to Bosh if he dunked on him is awesome. I hope we get Rio next. That would be hilarious.

#14 Wuchuhurd

Wuchuhurd

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:59 AM

Thanks again Danny, great stuff. Someone should shop him dressed as Urkel in front of a computer.
1zg3qc8.jpg

#15 #1draftppick

#1draftppick

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • 10,121 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:01 AM

Maybe Rio.I think I'll wait a few weeks though. I'll probably do this again in January. I'm glad you guys like it. I think it's pretty fun. The players seem to like the questions. Definitely a nice mix of basketball and real life.

Posted Image

564032845.gif

-Winner Of The 2010 Miami Heat Message Boards Most Improved Poster Award   
-Winner Of The 2011 Miami Heat Message Boards Most Improved Poster Award

I don't lock threads, I just delete them

© 2009, #1draftppick, Inc. All rights reserved. Mario "The GOAT" Chalmers, GOAT, and the GOAT logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of #1draftppick, Inc. In the United States of America and

elsewhere.

#16 King of The Roads

King of The Roads

Rotation Player

• Administrators
  • 384 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

Well done!
"Then '96 came...."

#17 ThunderDAN

ThunderDAN

Living Legend

• Moderators
  • 5,065 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

we should do a Battier inteview, but its all Trivia questions.

..but nobody cares what crazy ol' Dan Majerle thinks

KxKMltE.gif

#18 SG-Three

SG-Three

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • LocationManila, Philippines

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

Joel is a cool guy. He gave well-explained answers.

DWade+Sig.jpg

#19 z3rOoOo

z3rOoOo

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:24 AM

KKinsey: How did you feel after you dunked it in between three Atlanta Hawks players last year?

It was a good play. I just felt it was a good play. That was pretty much it. I was just focused on getting back on defense after that.

Just focused on getting back on D...Gotta love the Warden...

"Never say never, because limits, like fears, are often an illusion" - Michael Jordan

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2251475/lebronkingjam.gif

#20 heatchamp45

heatchamp45

All-NBA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

Wow a thread about Joel Anthony.

I like joel he is a good kid.....But i never understood how a player that doesnt know how to dribble, doesnt know how to pass, and doesnt know how to shoot made an NBA roster????

OH i forgot he doesnt know how to catch either.

When he finnaly catches one...........................he looks timid and doesnt even know what he is going to do with the ball.

He hustles though....and sometimes is able to get a rebound here and there...also blocks some shots.......but again i never understood how a player that cant drible shoot pass or catch makes an NBA roster.

MIAMI HEAT  2006 - 2012 - 2013 NBA CHAMPS.............   :)