Photo

HEAT at Magic Official Game Thread and Preview

Miami HEAT Orlando Magic Previews

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
138 replies to this topic

#1 Danny

Danny

All-NBA

• Administrators
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

Posted Image
(Photo Credit: Fernando Medina)

The Miami HEAT wrap up their four-game road trip at the Amway Center where they take on the Orlando Magic. The HEAT have lost two straight and are 20-7 on the season. The Magic are on a five-game losing streak and are 12-18. Tip off is set for 5 PM. Coverage starts on Sun Sports at 4:30 PM.

1. The Magic were one of the league’s best stories heading into the first week of December, but have since lost five straight. What happened?

Couper Moorhead: Most of it is simply natural regression, even though the Magic didn’t necessarily shoot better from deep or play better defense in November. Jacque Vaughn has been an exceptional coach so far, but it’s tough to keep a team overachieving throughout an 82-game season – which is not to say this team couldn’t find its way again. Not having Glen Davis around since the 19th to simply create shots has hurt as, but in the end it’s not a bad thing for Orlando to lose. There is no way to land on two feet trading a player such as Dwight Howard, and the natural path is to take a few steps back, maximize the value of your draft picks and then look ahead. If can do that with excellent coaching leadership and players competing every night, there’s not much else you can ask for.

Danny Martinez: Orlando had a top-10 offense through the middle of December, but they’ve hit the skids recently. Over their last five games, all losses, the Magic are giving up over 112 points per 100 possessions. That slip explains the losing streak. Their offense hasn’t been above average all season long, but the defense was winning them games. To snap their skid, the Magic will need the stout defense to return.

2. If you were Orlando, how willing would you be to trade J.J. Redick?

Couper: This will be a big story around the league come the trade deadline since Redick is a free agent this summer. Most people will say that Orlando should just get whatever they can – which is entirely logical and appropriate – but it isn’t as cut and dry as that. For one, there’s no saying what exactly the market is offering and the Magic might be better served holding onto Redick and being in place for a sign-and-trade this summer, as they did recently with Ryan Anderson, but the best move might be to see if Redick has any interest in returning. It’s tough to talk veterans into rebuilding projects, but Redick is the type of player I would want to hold on for the long haul, especially as the team only gets younger.

Danny: J.J. Redick is a very attractive player to numerous contenders and playoff teams. He’s a lights out shooter and is more than capable of creating for others. Redick is in the last year of his contract and a long-term deal is probably not in the cards. If I were Orlando, I’d have my ears open. Some combination of young talent plus draft picks would certainly pique my interest.

3. What was missing from Miami’s losses to Detroit and Milwaukee?

Couper: Will Bynum and the rest of Detroit’s perimeter players got hot in the first game and the Bucks guards terrorized the passing lanes in the second, forcing all sorts of uncharacteristic Miami turnovers, but the staple of most of the HEAT’s disappointing losses over the last few years is that they’ve featured slow, ineffective interior rotations. For the HEAT to be aggressive in the passing lanes and not use many shotblockers in their lineups, they have to play strong positional defense in the middle of the floor. It may not seem like they’re getting hurt as much in the paint when those off-dribble jumpers from Bynum are falling, but it’s the basic dunks and layups that keep a team like Detroit in position to win with a nice boost of the uncommon.

Danny: The defensive rotations that were clicking against Oklahoma City were absent. The Bucks and Pistons were each able to get easy baskets in the paint at a high rate. The schedule probably had something to do with that, with the HEAT playing four games in five days. Also, the absence of Udonis Haslem in the Milwaukee game didn’t help. The backline and help defense played the last two games is a concern, but the HEAT have shown the last few years that they have the ability to autocorrect midstream. A day off, a little extra effort and the return of Haslem should all help.

#2 Glen Davis

Glen Davis

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

Oh yes...

#3 Wuchuhurd

Wuchuhurd

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

lol @ Reddick owning Rio off the dribble

10wl185.jpg

#4 305LWB

305LWB

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,007 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

This team has serious problems. We can't rebound and we get beat off the dribble so easily.
Posted Image

#5 305LWB

305LWB

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,007 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

**** this team. Don't even know why I watch. It's disgusting just watching this team ride ***ing LeBron all the time.
Posted Image

#6 KKinsey

KKinsey

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,812 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

lol @ Reddick owning Rio off the dribble

Reddicks a good player.
Posted Image

#7 305LWB

305LWB

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,007 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

Lol Spo is such a joke of a coach. He's getting owned by Jacque Vaughn.
Posted Image

#8 305LWB

305LWB

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,007 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

It's really pathetic a ***ing SG in his 10th year can miss 2 FT's in a row.
Posted Image

#9 KKinsey

KKinsey

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,812 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

Okay what kid stole Wades talents??? It's time to give them back.
Posted Image

#10 305LWB

305LWB

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,007 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

Okay what kid stole Wades talents??? It's time to give them back.

Nobody, he's just lazy as **** right now. Just watch him run back on defense in transition.
Posted Image

#11 Arron Agustin Afflalo

Arron Agustin Afflalo

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

We're in the locker room waiting for Stern to make the call.

Posted Image

#12 mrwormburn

mrwormburn

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Collectively out-rebounded by one guy....................................................................................................

D-Brick.

SGL9QQQ.gif

#13 LCJxian6

LCJxian6

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

another charity game for miami???crap! :angry:

#14 mrwormburn

mrwormburn

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

We're in the locker room waiting for Stern to make the call.

Says the "Magic fan." There's no such thing as a "Magic fan." Interesting enough, today I decided to listen in on the Magic commentary instead, and I would describe them as "Heat fans who are tough on Wade." I like their style...

D-Brick.

SGL9QQQ.gif

#15 Lucky06

Lucky06

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,451 posts
  • Location3rd World Tribal Jungle

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

My Head still hurts from the late drinking party

It hurts even more as soon as i looked at the Heat score against some nobodys

Legod_zpsc69a82cc.jpg

#16 JonathanClayRedick

JonathanClayRedick

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

Hey gonna run back to the floor. Enjoy the game guys. It's fun playing around with those Miami boys. Vucci Mane is White Howard, without the huge defense.

BRB!

Threebombs are my weapon of choice

#17 Arron Agustin Afflalo

Arron Agustin Afflalo

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

Says the "Magic fan." There's no such thing as a "Magic fan." Interesting enough, today I decided to listen in on the Magic commentary instead, and I would describe them as "Heat fans who are tough on Wade." I like their style...

Whoa no no no. This isn't about obvious biased officiating, its about playing the game. :ph34r: Our commentators, David Steele and Matty Goukas are extremely unbiased and that goes for any team. They are one of the best commentators in the NBA if not the best crew.

Posted Image

#18 HeatMan

HeatMan

Rotation Player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

This team is playing terrible right now! We are getting outrebounded by the Magic 26 to 12 !!! I'm getting sick of this attitude against weaker teams.
Proud Heat Fan since 1996

#19 305LWB

305LWB

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,007 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

Wade back to playing like garbage. SMH.
Posted Image

#20 Wuchuhurd