Photo

Defensive Rebounding Matters

Miami HEAT

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 Danny

Danny

All-NBA

• Administrators
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

Posted Image
(Photo Credit: Joe Murphy)

Much has been written and will be written about the HEAT’s rebounding. Rebounding margin has reflected poorly on the HEAT this season, but we know that that stat doesn’t provide the context needed to properly assess the situation. That’s where rebounding percentages come in handy.

Rebounding percentages (sometimes referred to as rebounding rates) tell us how a team fares on the boards, independent of number of opportunities. Here’s a quick example: If there are 50 defensive rebounds available over the course of the game and the HEAT grab 38 of them while the opponent grabs the other 12, the HEAT will have a defensive rebounding percentage of 76 percent and the opponent will have an offensive rebounding percentage of 24 percent. It’s not too complicated, right?

The HEAT don’t place a huge importance on offensive rebounding. They prefer getting back on defense, limiting an opponent’s transition offense. If there’s an opportunity, they take it. But you’ll rarely see two players crash the offensive glass at the same time. So we’ll shift our focus to the defensive end.

As of the Utah game the HEAT rank 25th in the NBA in defensive rebounding percentage. That alone may look like a red flag, but is it? To find out, we need to see who the HEAT have played and how many defensive rebounds they should have up to this point.

This is actually simple to do. To calculate this, we just pull up the HEAT’s schedule, find the opponents and look up their offensive rebounding rates for the season. Next, we’ll calculate the available defensive rebounds in the games actually played and compare how the HEAT did and how the raw numbers suggest they should have done.

Here are the results:

Posted Image

The two highlighted figures are the numbers to look at. The HEAT have come up 16 rebounds shy of where they’re projected to based on opponent. With the HEAT having played 36 games, it comes out to .44 defensive rebounds a game. That doesn’t appear to be anything worth stressing over.

Just in case the games against the HEAT inflated the opponents’ offensive rebounding numbers, I ran the same process while calculating opponents’ offensive rebounding percentages without HEAT games included. Using that method, I still came to the 1119 figure.

So, what does this all mean? Well, the HEAT are technically underperforming their expectations by a shade. Their current defensive rebounding percentage is 72 percent while their schedule projects them to be at 73 percent, which happens to be league average this year.

Last season, the HEAT rebounded 73.9 percent of available defensive rebounds, which would be good for 11th in the NBA this season. The difference between this season and last season is 30 defensive rebounds, or .83 defensive rebounds a game. That’s all. Less than one extra defensive rebound a game. That’s a bounce off of a foot, a weird carom off the rim or a random scoop in a scrum.

It is OK to be concerned about the HEAT’s rebounding. It is down from last season. But the data shows they’re right about where they should be so far this season, and within shouting distance of last season.

#2 ThunderDAN

ThunderDAN

Living Legend

• Moderators
  • 5,065 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

money!

..but nobody cares what crazy ol' Dan Majerle thinks

KxKMltE.gif

#3 heatphin4lyfe

heatphin4lyfe

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • LocationBorn in FLA. Reside in NC

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

Interesting piece...TEAM HEAT since '88!

#4 mrwormburn

mrwormburn

All-Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

We are exactly where we need to be - getting out-rebounded by ~15-20 boards a game when playing teams that rebound well. This is rebound apologetics at it's finest - denial.

#5 Danny

Danny

All-NBA

• Administrators
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

We are exactly where we need to be - getting out-rebounded by ~15-20 boards a game when playing teams that rebound well. This is rebound apologetics at it's finest - denial.

I'm not sure where I'm in "denial." Sure, the HEAT's defensive rebounding could be better. It just hasn't been as bad as people make it out to be. A couple of bad games the last couple of weeks just make it seem like a huge issue. Also, being "outrebounded" doesn't matter to the HEAT and shouldn't matter to you. Rebounding margin is fairly useless.

#6 Scar

Scar

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • LocationThe Wood

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

It's more fun to freak out then to stand behind your team it seems.

Imitation is the best form of flattery

Inaugural Miami Heat Forum Fantasy Basketball Champion! (2013)

#7 mrwormburn

mrwormburn

All-Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

It's more fun to freak out then to stand behind your team it seems.

Who's freaking out? I'm concerned...you know? The way we all are.

#8 305LWB

305LWB

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,149 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

Rebounding margin is fairly useless.

Really? Why is that the last 14 NBA champions have been top 10 in rebounding margin at least? I'm not saying rebounding the ball was the sole reason those teams won but pretending like rebounding isn't a big factor in winning championships is blatantly false. I don't think Riley was just messing around when he said "No Rebounds, no Rings."

#9 Scar

Scar

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • LocationThe Wood

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

We were in the top 10 in rebounds last year?

#10 305LWB

305LWB

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,149 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

We were in the top 10 in rebounds last year?

We were #6 in rebounding differential last year. So yes we were top 10.

#11 Scar

Scar

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • LocationThe Wood

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

Well aren't those two different categories?

#12 heatphin4lyfe

heatphin4lyfe

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • LocationBorn in FLA. Reside in NC

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

I still think MIAMI is capable of curing it's rebounding woes. There's too much pride in that locker room for those champs to go out like chumps. I'm going to go out on a limb and say MIAMI will start to shift gears after the all-star break, and all of this terrible road play, lack of rebounding, and whatever else the pundits say about MIAMI in it's current state, will be an after thought...TEAM HEAT since '88!

#13 305LWB

305LWB

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,149 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

Well aren't those two different categories?

Yeah but rebounds per game is a useless stat that doesn't take into account pace or how well you play defensively or how bad you play offensively, which both can increase your raw rebounds per game. Rebound rate and rebounding differential give you a better idea of how well you're doing on the boards compared to other teams and your opposition.

#14 Scar

Scar

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • LocationThe Wood

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

I just don't fret too much about these issues. I know the team will look and play vastly different by the time the playoffs are approaching.

Health is the most important thing we need to monitor.

#15 rafroch

rafroch

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,289 posts
  • LocationMiami-Dade, Florida

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

I just don't fret too much about these issues. I know the team will look and play vastly different by the time the playoffs are approaching.

Health is the most important thing we need to monitor.

I don't think you were around in the 06 07 season. Sometimes you can't "flip the switch" come playoff time. Gotta develop good habits in the reg season.

#16 helen heat lover

helen heat lover

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:13 AM

the rebounding issue does affect us in many ways. I hope it gets corrected before the playoffs. bcos those teams will take advanyage of it.

#17 Scar

Scar

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • LocationThe Wood

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:34 AM

I don't think you were around in the 06 07 season. Sometimes you can't "flip the switch" come playoff time. Gotta develop good habits in the reg season.

Yeah, health was a BIG concern for the 07 team.

aaaaaaaaaaaaand, we have "flipped" the switch so to speak each of the past two years....so who is it that hasn't been paying attention?

But believe what you want, I was not "around" back then. lol

#18 Danny

Danny

All-NBA

• Administrators
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:36 AM

Yeah but rebounds per game is a useless stat that doesn't take into account pace or how well you play defensively or how bad you play offensively, which both can increase your raw rebounds per game. Rebound rate and rebounding differential give you a better idea of how well you're doing on the boards compared to other teams and your opposition.

Just rebound rate. Don't use the differential. For the HEAT, who totally disregard the offensive boards, just use defensive rebounding rate. Like I said in the piece, the HEAT are behind where they want to be, but it's not be a whole lot. The HEAT have the same defensive rebounding percentage as the Clippers. A few more games like tonight and they'll be right back at league average. The problem is, for the most part, all the rough games happened in a short stretch that occurred recently. That skews our perception of things. The HEAT had a string of bad rebounding games, just like there will be a string of bad shooting nights, lacking defensive effort or faulty ball-handling. These things happen to every team in the league.

#19 Danny

Danny

All-NBA

• Administrators
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:37 AM

The HEAT didn't have the best player in the NBA then. And Dwyane Wade got injured. There were a lot of things that are different between 2007 and 2013.

#20 Scar

Scar

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • LocationThe Wood

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:39 AM

Danny my man, always coming in and dropping knowledge. That's what I like about ya. If only everyone was as level headed as you. lol