Photo

HEAT at Lakers Official Game Thread and Preview

Miami HEAT Los Angeles Lakers Previews

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
126 replies to this topic

#1 Danny

Danny

All-NBA

• Administrators
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

Posted Image
(Photo Credit: Andrew Bernstein)

The Miami HEAT wrap up their six-game road trip in Los Angeles, where they take on the Lakers. The HEAT are atop the Eastern Conference with a record of 25-12. The Lakers are battling for the final playoff spot out West at 17-21. Tip off is set for 10:30 PM.

1: If Pau Gasol plays, does this game change that much if he comes off the bench instead of starts?

Couper Moorhead: Considering how much the HEAT have played with two big men lately, either pairing Chris Bosh with Udonis Haslem or Joel Anthony, Gasol likely won’t see any particular matchup advantage if he gets to run his own bench unit for a few minutes. But remember, Gasol is returning from a concussion, not a knee injury as he was dealing with earlier in the season. He has struggled to find his place in the team’s system, but he should at least be, in theory, rested and ready to go.

Danny Martinez: I don’t believe the game changes a whole lot if he starts or comes off the bench. The more important thing would be minutes played. The HEAT have gone “small” in doses, so for the most part the extra size wouldn’t be an issue. Gasol has struggled some this season, but he’s still an excellent player and passed. His brother, Marc, was able to dissect the HEAT with quite a few bog-to-big passes. Pau is certainly capable of doing the same, whether he starts or comes off the bench.

2: Is Chris Bosh going to get Dwight Howard duties all by himself?

Couper: He won’t. Howard may not look completely like himself, though he’s getting there, but he’s still more than a one-man job. Bosh, Haslem and Anthony need to be fully aware of Howard at all times when a shot goes up, and the rest of the team needs to be ready to dive to the rim from above the free-throw line and get the rebound as Howard is taken out of position. In the past, if Miami wants to play small, the key to attacking Howard has been with LeBron James and Bosh. Use Bosh to get him out of the paint and isolate him for box-outs and then James takes advantage of the space and cleans up the loose balls. It’s a lot to ask for an entire game, but it’s the Lakers.

Danny: Nope. Matchups are rarely, if ever, one-on-one anymore, especially in HEAT games. In the HEAT’s defensive system, players are constantly helping all over the floor, hedging drives and cutting off driving lanes. As such, everyone will have a role in guarding Dwight Howard. When he and Steve Nash run a high pick-and-roll, and there will be many, HEAT wings will be crashing down on Howard, looking to thwart his opportunities at the rim. Bosh will get the bulk of Howard duties, and will have to defend him straight up a handful of times, but he’ll have help.

3: Should it matter to Miami who Kobe Bryant, who has been defending some point guards of late, defends?

Couper: Kobe hasn’t been an elite defender for years, despite his reputation, but he has reached a different gear in a couple of recent games defending ballhandlers. It’s probably more than he should be taking on given how much the offense is relying on him, for better or worse, and if Bryant gets constant Wade or LeBron duties, the HEAT will likely involve him in as many pick-and-rolls as possible to wear him down. Of course, if you’re attacking Bryant in that way you aren’t attacking Steve Nash – pretty vulnerable defensively himself – but if Nash is on Mario Chalmers or Norris Cole, it’s probably best not to force the issue unless you get transition opportunities. The HEAT might change their usage of certain plays given matchups, but they aren’t going to change the way they play.

Danny: No. Bryant will guard many players over the course of the night. Bryant’s defensive reputation no longer matches up with his actual prowess, and against many of the HEAT wings he’ll be at a significant disadvantage. Opponents have been attacking Bryant off the ball as he’s been focused on the ball. While he’s on the floor, the Lakers defense is susceptible to back door cuts, something Dwyane Wade has featured heavily in recent games. Who Bryant defends doesn’t matter all that much to the HEAT, for they have the upper hand in almost any matchup.

4: There have been a number of comparisons to the 2010-2011 HEAT for this Lakers team. How many of them play true?

Couper: There’s no comparison to the sort of attention the HEAT were getting three seasons ago, but in practice the Lakers have played out as a more extreme edition of that Miami squad. An early losing streak for Miami that lasted a week or two went deep into December for the Lakers. People foolishly wanted Erik Spoelstra fired early in the 2010 season, but the Lakers actually did change coaches and their entire offensive systems. Miami lost Mike Miller and Udonis Haslem for most of that season; the Lakers have been without Steve Nash and Pau Gasol for much of this season. There’s a lot of bad luck involved in what has happened to the Lakers, but they’re in a deeper hole than Miami ever was.

Danny: I guess if you really squint, you can see the similarities. The HEAT probably garnered a larger amount of attention than the current Lakers squad, but there’s no shortage of coverage for this Lakers team. In both situations, there were questions early on as to whether the team would be able to succeed. In the HEAT’s case, and early struggle was wiped out by a 22-1 stretch. These Lakers haven’t been as fortunate, suffering a litany of injuries and narrow losses. Through 38 games the Lakers are 17-21 and outside the playoff picture. The HEAT were 29-9 at the 38 game mark and leading their division. The comparisons aren’t totally off base, but they also aren’t totally apt.

#2 KKinsey

KKinsey

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

@MiamiHEAT: We've got something to celebrate today! Join us in wishing @DwyaneWade a happy 31st birthday. Happy Birthday, Dwyane! http://t.co/lNDzzikf
Posted Image

#3 Lakers

Lakers

Rotation Player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

gonna be a sad bday for wade if kobe abuses him like last game.
"81 points isn't some NBA 2K record, this is real life goat stuff"
- Lakers

#4 riverlobo

riverlobo

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

Happy B-Day D-wade!!

Lakers...going to be...if...I guess that what blogs are for

In any case regardless of the outcome of today's game it should not be a sad day for Dwade. He is a pro basketball player living the dream, has multiple businesses ongoing that has him preparing very well for his future. I'm sure you know who Gabrielle Union is...he has three wonderful kids, plays alongside arguably one of the best athletes/players in the history of the game and plays on a team that is trying to repeat as NBA Champions. From my vantage point the outcome of the game will do very little to sour Dwade's day...

#5 kingdal136

kingdal136

Role Player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

Happy Birthday Dwyane Tyrone Wade!!

This will be a great game to watch and I feel the Heat will come out victorious because Wade and Bron will be just too much for L.A

#6 LeBron+Wade>Jordan+Pippen

LeBron+Wade>Jordan+Pippen

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

There literally isn't a game I want to win more than this one this season. I hate the Lakers so bad.
Posted Image

#7 Scar

Scar

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,151 posts
  • LocationThe Wood

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

Should be a fun game!

Imitation is the best form of flattery

Inaugural Miami Heat Forum Fantasy Basketball Champion! (2013)

#8 O-Dogg

O-Dogg

Role Player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

mannnn I hope we don't lose to them bums
Signature Removed: Way too big

#9 3K

Living Legend

• Moderators
  • 4,040 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

Let's get this win!
Winning in Staples always feels good for some reason.

#10 Scar

Scar

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,151 posts
  • LocationThe Wood

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

Last year Wade fouled out and LeBron could not beat the team by himself. (Bosh missed the game due to a death in his family) This year, and after that Warriors romp, it looks like it's that time where we make the Lakers look like Jokers.

Also, lets win so we don't have to have that annoying Lakers fan trolling the forums any more. lol

#11 305LWB

305LWB

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,084 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

Got a feeling we will lose because the Lakers are finally starting to play better and they are desperate for a big win and we're probably tired from last night. This may just be their perfect storm, or we could just go out and rape them. I'm hoping for the latter.

#12 Scar

Scar

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,151 posts
  • LocationThe Wood

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

Raping Kobe.

How prophetic. lol

#13 O-Dogg

O-Dogg

Role Player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

Raping Kobe.

How prophetic. lol

I don't know whats worse...Kobe the raper or Kobe the rapist
Signature Removed: Way too big

#14 Scar

Scar

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,151 posts
  • LocationThe Wood

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

You have to imagine he sings to his victims.

#15 Baller3

Baller3

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

Kobe is going to outplaying D-Wade tonight. I really have a bad feeling about this game. I know Howard is going to have a field day against Christina Bosh and might probably set a new career high in rebounding.
Posted Image

"My attitude is that if you push me towards something that you think is a weakness, then I will turn that perceived weakness into a strength." - Michael Jordan

#16 heatphin4lyfe

heatphin4lyfe

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,683 posts
  • LocationBorn in FLA. Reside in NC

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

If BOSH hits his jumpers consistently,and MIAMI's help defense is at a high level, we HEAT fans should have an enjoyable weekend. RIO and WADE should attack Howard early to try and get him into foul trouble. It too will help if the three-ball is falling. Kobe will get his,just take everyone else out of the game....TEAM HEAT since '88!

#17 Afroman86

Afroman86

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

I just passed by the LA LAKERS discussion board and they are all hyped up for the game. To secure a win MIA HEAT has got to rebound rebound cleaning the glass.

#18 KKinsey

KKinsey

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

@IraHeatBeat: With Dexter Pittman back for this game, Jarvis Varnado and Josh Harrellson inactive for Heat, as their 10-day contracts are about to expire.
Posted Image

#19 LebronaldPalmer45.

LebronaldPalmer45.

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • LocationP U R P L E Draaank!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

@IraHeatBeat: With Dexter Pittman back for this game, Jarvis Varnado and Josh Harrellson inactive for Heat, as their 10-day contracts are about to expire.

Spo is going to bust out the secret weapon tonight!?

Dexter Pittman
Posted Image

#20 LeBoshAde

LeBoshAde

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

LETS GO HEAAAAAAAAT! Cant wait lol