Photo

Miami Heat CAP in 2013-14

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 michael_beasy_beasley

michael_beasy_beasley

All-Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • LocationAlcatraz

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

As far as NBA Salary cap is concern, teams are limited to the total amount of money that NBA teams are allowed to pay their players. It is defined by the league's collective bargain agreement (CBA) that teams can only have $58 million at most per team. This limit is subject to a complex system of rules and exceptions and as such is considered a "soft" cap.

Note:
1.) The maximum salary of a player with 6 or fewer years of experience is either $9,000,000 or 25% of the total salary cap (2010–11: $14,511,000), whichever is greater. For a player with 7–9 years of experience, the maximum is $11,000,000 or 30% of the cap (2010–11: $17,413,200), and for a player with 10+ years of experience, the maximum is $14,000,000 or 35% of the cap (2010–2011: $20,315,400)

2.) In mid level exception, once a year, teams can use a mid-level exception (MLE) to sign a player to a contract for a specified maximum amount. The amount of the MLE and its duration depend on the team's cap status. The MLE is $5 million for a duration of four years for teams that are over the cap either before or after the signing, but did not pay a luxury tax in the previous season. Teams without cap room that paid tax in the previous season have an MLE of $3 million with a three-year duration. Teams with cap room, previously ineligible for the MLE, have a new MLE of $2.5 million with a two-year duration. The MLE is frozen at the stated levels through the 2012–13 season, after which it increases by 3% per season.

3.) The bi-annual exception was used to sign any free agent to a contract starting at $1.672 million. Like the mid-level exception, the bi-annual exception was also split among more than one player, and was used to sign players for up to two years, with raises limited to 8% per year. This exception was referred to as the "$1 million exception" in the 1999 CBA, although it was valued at $1 million for only the first year of the agreement.

Posted Image

Above is our salaray cap per player.

A bit of the 2008 lighthearted Beasley came out when he joked that he couldn't bring himself to watch the Heat during any of their last three runs to the NBA Finals. "You know that's a lie," Beasley cracked before instantly shifting into a more somber, serious tone. "You get hungry. Especially when you see your old team get there three times in a row -- all three years you weren't here. You get mad. But you channel that anger. You put it into basketball. And that's what I'm looking forward to doing."

#2 michael_beasy_beasley

michael_beasy_beasley

All-Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • LocationAlcatraz

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

The reason of posting it because me myself doesnt really know how this system works. I am worried we might lose 1 of our 3 stars because of this CBA in 2013-14. Anyone knows very well how this system works? Do our 3 superstars safe next year?

A bit of the 2008 lighthearted Beasley came out when he joked that he couldn't bring himself to watch the Heat during any of their last three runs to the NBA Finals. "You know that's a lie," Beasley cracked before instantly shifting into a more somber, serious tone. "You get hungry. Especially when you see your old team get there three times in a row -- all three years you weren't here. You get mad. But you channel that anger. You put it into basketball. And that's what I'm looking forward to doing."

#3 Scar

Scar

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,197 posts
  • LocationThe Wood

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

As long as Arison doesn't mind paying a pretty penny for those players, we could keep them all.

Imitation is the best form of flattery

Inaugural Miami Heat Forum Fantasy Basketball Champion! (2013)

#4 michael_beasy_beasley

michael_beasy_beasley

All-Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • LocationAlcatraz

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

As long as Arison doesn't mind paying a pretty penny for those players, we could keep them all.

So in other words, retaining our 3 stars are most likely be difficult next season.

#5 propheticWrit

propheticWrit

All-NBA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

Next season all three star players are under contract, along with most everyone else on this roster. After that the hard choices have to be made, or postponed another 2 years. Everybody just assumes all three are going to opt out of their contracts, but there may be very little incentive to do so for a guy like Wade who probably isn't going to command a 20 mil per year contract on the open market at 33 years of age.

Bottom line is that 2 or 4 yrs from now Arison will have to decide if its worth it to him to shell out 150 mil a year for a basketball team, and watch a third of that go to his fellow owners. Personally I think he'll come to the conclusion that its worth the investment, but who knows....

#6 Wade2012

Wade2012

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

As a fan of Heat, this is my main concern:

http://www.dailymail...icken-ship.html

What a screwup. Hope Mickey will still have the money.

#7 Wade2012

Wade2012

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

My understanding is that the new CBA will benefit the teams with their own local cable contracts. That means Lake and Knicks. Another variable is that Arison made his money away from the league, and should have lots of money to spend if his business is doing well. The Buss family has most of its wealth in their basketball team, which should mean they have less extra money to spend, though as stated the local tv contract will help them. It all starts in the 2014-15 season, I believe.

#8 rafroch

rafroch

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,293 posts
  • LocationMiami-Dade, Florida

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:13 AM

Arison is the 4th richest owner in the NBA, so I hope he shells out the dough to keep 'em here. Otherwise, a sacrifice from all three will be necessary, though I doubt they would take that since this is probably the last big pay-day for Wade, Lebron and Bosh.

In the end it will come down to Micky, and I think he's not stupid: The Miami Heat is a recognizable brand worldwide, and has grown immensely with the big 3. They are worth a lot more than their salaries and cap penalties.

#9 MaxHeat69

MaxHeat69

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:51 AM

Well in extreme case scenarios, the Heat management must really plan carefully starting from next year, keeping all 3 at the risk that their peak level will decline, will weaken the trade value of two of the three, especially hinting at F-Wade, who's the oldest if the trio.

So I don't know whether at this situation you can have multiple championship chance.
LOL I love how MaxHeat69 has over 1500 posts, and he's not a Heat guy (MoodMuzik)(Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:50 AM)

#10 gotankles

gotankles

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:52 AM

lebrons gonna take the vet min

#11 Maroko

Maroko

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,340 posts
  • LocationCole World

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

We need to know how much money the Heat generate, i heard the TV contract are not so great i wonder why because the media are always trying to pick us.
At the moment i dont think Micky is losing some money with the heat

On this Board, people are quoting me for existing ! 

Maroko_Banderas_owning_Bitches_HeatFakeD

#12 propheticWrit

propheticWrit

All-NBA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

http://www.forbes.co...ams/miami-heat/

The new tv deal will bump the value of the franchise and overall revenue by a third overnight:

http://www.forbes.co...elevision-deal/

The man invested 32 mil into a team that in 5 years should be worth more than a billion. Arison is not suffering here.....

#13 Maroko

Maroko

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,340 posts
  • LocationCole World

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

@ propheticWrit : Thank you for the information !

But they could give us more details about the contract.

Could someone explain me this data :
"Wins-to-player cost ratio : 178" ? the Heat has the best stats comparing to the Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, Mavericks and knicks but we are behind the Thunders probably because they dont pay the luxury tax

When you see how much Micki paid the Heat and now the value, wow what a performance

http://www.hostingpi...30217220001.jpg

Operating income : we generate only 14,9 Millions comparing to the Knicks : 83,3 (mostly because of their TV contrac), the lakers : 47,8 Millions even the warriors and the Thunder has the double of us.

i think they should try to develop more the brand in Asia and in Europe because they are a lot of fans since Wade, LeBron and Bosh are playing together.

#14 propheticWrit

propheticWrit

All-NBA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

Wins to player cost is just the ratio of wins last season to total payroll. The Thunder won fewer games but also spent about 10 mil less, so you could say they were more effective in turning dollars into wins.

For all Stern and the other talking heads like to go on about the internationalization of the sport, the money is still in the US television market. And the great divide now between the have and have nots is local tv deals. Arison wants to move into the stratosphere now occupied by LA and NY alone.

#15 Danny

Danny

All-NBA

• Administrators
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

Just to touch on one thing, barring something crazy, I'd expect all three players to opt out. Even for someone who's older like Wade, the long term security is worth it. Being able to tack on extra years to the end is key.

#16 propheticWrit

propheticWrit

All-NBA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

That is conventional wisdom. Don't forget that convention dictated that they would take 6 yr deals when they opted for 3, that they would sign for the maximum allowed when they took less. Wade, James, and Bosh all seem to have the ability to look beyond the total dollar figure, something that is extremely rare in the pro athlete. If James and his agent come to the conclusion that the CBA is likely to be re-negotiated in 3 yrs with more favorable terms for max level players maybe its in his best interest to pick up those options on the last two years and revisit this in 2016.

#17 Maroko

Maroko

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,340 posts
  • LocationCole World

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

yes they took less by joining their forces but they perfectly know that they will get all the light on them (Sponsors, medias, fans, challenge...)
If you compare a max player like Joe Johnson at the end of the day is touching less money than Bosh, i dont need to mention Wade or LeBron

#18 michael_beasy_beasley

michael_beasy_beasley

All-Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • LocationAlcatraz

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

This salary cap issues by new CBA is getting into my nerves. I read an article although pure hypothetical that LeBron might opt out next 2013-14 season in Miami and will go to cleveland. I am thinking it make sense but might be this 2014-15 season. I mean if LeBron gets his 3 straight championships or grand slam in Miami which is inevitable, his only unsettled mission is to prove his worth he can carry his hometown Akron to its first championship. With his aging sidekick Wade and a quotable question "Can LeBron solely carry a team to be champion without 2 sidekick superstars..." will surely challenge LeBron and make him think of coming back to Cavs. Pairing him with Kyrie Irving and Varejao aint that bad IMO.

#19 MaxHeat69

MaxHeat69

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

Well we cannot predict the future anyways whatever happens is gonna happen. Of course if you risk to play two more years with your current big three, you are always at the risk of not getting anything in trade value from your declining supporting cast, without sacrificing the big three.

If Mario Chalmers and Norris Cole can add more skill sets to support D-Wade for 2 more years, that would definitely be of some help.

Mike Miller, James Jones, Udonis Haslem and Ray Allen are gonna be crappy old until then and LeBron will have to carry Sn entire retirement house with him, if you cannot or do not want to develop your few young players of the bench. But of course that's easier said than risky done...
LOL I love how MaxHeat69 has over 1500 posts, and he's not a Heat guy (MoodMuzik)(Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:50 AM)