Photo

Miami HEAT at Boston Celtics Official Game Thread and Preview

Miami HEAT Boston Celtics Preview

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
398 replies to this topic

#1 Danny

Danny

All-NBA

• Administrators
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

Posted Image
(Photo Credit: ESPN)

The Miami HEAT battle the Boston Celtics tonight at TD Garden on the second night of a back-to-back. The HEAT look to win their 23rd straight game, which would give them the second longest streak in NBA history. Tip off is set for 8 PM; coverage starts on Sun Sports at 7:30 PM.

1: The Celtics have won seven of their last ten. How have they changed without Rajon Rondo?

Couper Moorhead: Boston has probably changed less than people think without Rondo. The team has been given credit for improving its ball movement since Rajon Rondo tore his ACL, but their assist rates per 100 possessions have hardly changed at all while the Celtics are still just as reliant on the mid-range jumper as they were with Rondo. That’s not to say there haven’t been improvements anywhere, as the team is getting more corner three attempts, but most likely the main cause for better offensive and defensive efficiency has been the team simply playing better while moving the ball enough to make up for Rondo’s absence. Sometimes, especially on defense, you can improve significantly by playing harder for longer.

Danny Martinez: Since the Rondo injury, the Celtics have seen a small uptick in their offense, but an even bigger jump in their defense. Many thought that the Rondo injury would significantly hinder the Celtics’ offense, but the reality is that the offense had nowhere to go but up. The everyday Rondo isn’t the one we saw score 44 points against the HEAT in last season’s playoffs. The Celtics relied on mid-range jump shots before the injury and they still do after the injury. The defensive improvement is the bigger deal, and it’s probably been the result of a higher sustained energy level. The Celtics have a stout defensive system and it took some time for them to round into top form. Rondo’s injury might have spurred that, but it was going to happen at some point.

2: Should we take much from this game if Kevin Garnett (50/50 to play) doesn’t go?

Couper: If Kevin Garnett doesn’t play, this game is effectively meaningless – the most important thing that would come out of it would be simply if Miami’s extends its 22-game winning streak or not. If Garnett does play, we could get a decent sense for how the Celtics will attack the HEAT on one end – can they hit Garnett with over-the-top passes that take advantage of the HEAT’s defensive holes the way Rondo would – and whether or not the lack of Rondo’s defensive playmaking and/or gambling makes Boston a more effective though possibly less dynamic defensive team. Garnett playing gives us a shot at finding some answers. Garnett’s absence renders the questions useless.

Danny: Not really. Garnett is such a huge part of what the Celtics do that his absence would render the contest useless in terms of predictive value. Garnett is the defensive anchor for the Celtics and his on/off court data the last few seasons has been astounding. While some may have thought that Rondo was the most important player on the Celtics, it’s probably clear now that the distinction belongs to Garnett. The game still has meaning, especially considering the streak that the HEAT are on, but it’s not the same longterm without Garnett.

3: Is our perspective of the Miami-Boston rivalry a little skewed these days given how many different lineups each team has had in the past year?

Couper: There has been so little consistency in Miami-Boston games in the past year that it is difficult to put much emphasis on any game, regular season or playoffs. Chris Bosh was either gone or slowly coming back from injury for most of the seven-game Eastern Conference Finals, then Ray Allen changes teams, then Boston is trying to introduce a slew of new perimeter players, then Boston loses Rajon Rondo – it’s still an incredibly fun (and true) rivalry, but don’t read too much into the results when the process, on either side, is constantly being tinkered with.

Danny: It’s kind of crazy how the Celtics and HEAT keep matching up without full rosters. Going back to last season, it feels as if a key player has missed time in almost every game. It hasn’t made the games or the rivalry less intense, but it does make it tough to gauge where each team is. One thing that has been clear is that neither team will back down and it’s led to some great, great games.

#2 heatphin4lyfe

heatphin4lyfe

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,675 posts
  • LocationBorn in FLA. Reside in NC

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

I wonder if LEBRON will bring that game 6 intensity? This will not be an easy task, yet I'm hoping MIAMI will steamroll these guys. If MIAMI shooters remains hot and the defense stays stingy, the HEAT should prevail, but MIAMI is gonna have to play for 4 qtrs. I expect MIAMI to get that 23rd to take sole possession of that 2nd spot. Go get it...TEAM HEAT since '88!

#3 Lucky06

Lucky06

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,722 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

Rondo less Celtics is more dangerous due to everyone can shoot and no more ball hogging
Cant wait the show-down of 2 teams with legit small ball

Bosh just needs to outclass KG in order to seal this thing

#4 305LWB

305LWB

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,084 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

5 years ago to this day the Celtics beat Houston to end their 22 game winning streak. That's some weird stuff right there.

#5 JulesWinnfield

JulesWinnfield

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

Wade's 21.3 PPG and 43.3 FG Pct against Boston are his lowest against any opponent in his career

(NEW SIG HERE SOON)

Miami Heat Forum Fantasy Basketball Champion 2014! 

#6 MYC

MYC

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

just smoke them.... smoke them !!!!

www.mycsculptures.com
www.facebook.com/mycsculptures
science fiction and fantasy statues

#7 LeBron+Wade>Jordan+Pippen

LeBron+Wade>Jordan+Pippen

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

Whats wrong with KG? Why might he miss?
Posted Image

#8 Wuchuhurd

Wuchuhurd

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,515 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

That pic; my favorite moment as evidenced in my avatar haha. Normally I like beating teams at full strength but since this streak is a once in a lifetime deal, I wouldn't mind KG missing the game. You can bet that the guys aren't going to let them off the hook like last time KG or not.
1zg3qc8.jpg

#9 tam

tam

Bench Player

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

Heat will be on a mission tonight with all that trash talking PP was doin! Boston and their fans HATE the Heat (look on their fan blogs) and they seem nervous to me. Win or lose, what a journey our guys have been on! This regular season game won't prove anything in the grand scheme. No one is catching us in the East!

#10 Durant Sucks MVpothead

Durant Sucks MVpothead

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts
  • LocationNon bandwagon previews and recaps

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

This is just gonna be a low scoring defensive scheme but the offense belongs to Miami. no bother. I watch these pops battle Tanda' and they're getting stops but couldn't buy a freaking bucket. Their shooters are not hot only terry hit a couple.Check punk haters. Show them these pops won't score much on the championship defensive team the Heat's caliber. Like we did in front of chicago.

#11 1988

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSoFLa

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

The Celtics are scary. Only because they are so unpredictable because of their constant change in effort depending on what game they are playing. I don't really think they stand a chance against us if both teams play their hardest. I do believe the Heat want to make this streak something incredible and put their stamp on this season doing something special in the regular season and post season. We should win this game if we come to play. Great Defense vs. Elite Defense and Offense vs. Elite Offense. Hmmm yeah go heat
Posted Image

#12 JulesWinnfield

JulesWinnfield

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

This is just gonna be a low scoring defensive scheme but the offense belongs to Miami. no bother. I watch these pops battle Tanda' and they're getting stops but couldn't buy a freaking bucket. Their shooters are not hot only terry hit a couple.Check punk haters. Show them these pops won't score much on the championship defensive team the Heat's caliber. Like we did in front of chicago.

Dig your style, dawg

(NEW SIG HERE SOON)

Miami Heat Forum Fantasy Basketball Champion 2014! 

#13 riverlobo

riverlobo

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

LBJ will come to play so I think this will nullify Pierce. In a strange way its going to be Avery Bradley who will be the key to this game, he dogs our guards like no one else and their handle and rhythym gets thrown off. I can never forget how he embarrased DWade last year when he was not 100% healthy...if i know Dwade he will be special tonight (25, 7, 6, 2) he has a very good memory, Bosh has been lights out 16 pts 8 rebs from him tonight is what we need. Finally Norris Cole needs to be like fly on s*^& on avery and disrupt thier offense get him tired make him work like a dog. Defenders hate being given their own medicine. 3 threes form Ray and 3 from Battier...MIA wins 103-94.

Its not about them its about us, if Miami doesn't beat themselves they win

#14 Maroko

Maroko

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,340 posts
  • LocationCole World

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

They hate us so much and of course they want to break our winning streak, every time they play us, they got old memories when they were called the "Big 3" that's why they will play with high intensity from the start to the end.

LETS GO HEAT

On this Board, people are quoting me for existing ! 

Maroko_Banderas_owning_Bitches_HeatFakeD

#15 Durant Sucks MVpothead

Durant Sucks MVpothead

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

"your style" I'm cool. What's your style, afro.

#16 Maroko

Maroko

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,340 posts
  • LocationCole World

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

"your style" I'm cool. What's your style, afro.

He is more viking than afro Bro :P :D :P

#17 Maroko

Maroko

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,340 posts
  • LocationCole World

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

Posted Image

Sorry for the quality of that pic but Birdman makes me laugh. What do you think about the style of Jesus Shuttlesworth ? Does he wear a green top to troll the C's ?

#18 Durant Sucks MVpothead

Durant Sucks MVpothead

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

"if LEBRON bring that game 6 intensity", took 23 or so shots for 45 points. Right now you want him to hit timely oportunity shots. He seem to play with the team and more to the flow of offense. That's what you want with unselfishness but not too unselfish. Take few shots make most if not all then take advantage when on fire, get to the line rebound set people off traps, do everything.

#19 Durant Sucks MVpothead

Durant Sucks MVpothead

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

"more viking than afro" from sweden though. may be viking afro.

#20 LeBoshAde

LeBoshAde

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

Heat should blow em out to keep Terrys blabbering mouth shut for a bit.