Photo

Spurs 84 - HEAT 103 NBA Finals Game 2 Recap and Infographic

Miami HEAT San Antonio Spurs Recap

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 Danny

Danny

All-NBA

• Administrators
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:43 PM

670_heatspurspost_130609.jpg

(Photo Credit: Mike Ehrmann)

The Miami HEAT evened the NBA Finals at 1-1 with a 103-84 victory over the San Antonio Spurs Sunday night. The HEAT blew past the Spurs in the third and fourth quarters, going on a 33-5 run at one point. Game 3 is Tuesday at 9 PM in San Antonio.

Impact Performance of the Night: Tonight the HEAT and Spurs were locked in a tight contest into the third quarter. The HEAT then blew the doors off the Spurs with a certain lineup doing most of the work. Mario Chalmers, Ray Allen, Mike Miller, LeBron James and Chris Andersen played seven minutes tonight. In those minutes, they outscored the Spurs 22-5. Offensively, the lineup dominated, going 8-of-9 from the field, including 3-of-3 from three-point range. With shooters spacing the floor, LeBron James was able to pick apart the San Antonio defense. On the other end of the floor, the fivesome forced three turnovers. The Spurs offense was not able to get in rhythm because of tight rotations and an increased activity level. The lineup hasn’t had much play this season, but they delivered a knockout punch when the HEAT needed it most.

The Deciding Run: With three minutes remaining in the third quarter the HEAT trailed 62-61. The HEAT had threatened to pull away from the Spurs a few different times, but were unable to as San Antonio kept manufacturing baskets and much of the middle of the third quarter was a seesaw affair. After a Danny Green bucket though, things changed. Over the next eight minutes or so the HEAT unleashed a 33-5 run that sealed a Game 2 victory for the HEAT. Three-pointers fell for Ray Allen, Mike Miller and LeBron James and Mario Chalmers attacked the basket, scoring and generating fouls. Defensively, the HEAT locked the Spurs down, pressuring their ball handlers and making every possession difficult. The run happened so quickly that if you had gotten off the couch to let the dog out, you may have missed it. That burst knotted things up in the NBA Finals.

Play of the Game: The game may have been iced away at that point, but LeBron James rejection of Tiago Splitter will be replayed over and over for a long time. James met Splitter at the top of the mountain and sent the ball back. Chris Bosh gathered the rebound and the HEAT took off down the floor. James caught the ball in the middle of the floor and fired a pass to Ray Allen, who drilled another three. That sequence was the whole second half summed up in 13 seconds.

Efficiency Rating: Offensive Efficiency: 119.5; Defensive Efficiency: 97.3

Trend to Watch: The defense returned for the HEAT. In the first half Miami forced eight San Antonio turnovers, but there were still a few rotations that weren’t totally sharp. There were signs of what was coming, but the defense wasn’t ready to click. In the second half, it clicked and then some. The HEAT forced nine more turnovers and blanketed Spurs’ playmakers. Tim Duncan and Tony Parker combined for six points in the second half on 2-of-10 shooting. The speed with which the HEAT made decisions increased significantly. It was a return of the defense that won Games 5 and 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals. As we have reiterated in this space on numerous occasions, when the HEAT defense hits on all cylinders like it did in the second half, they’re tough to beat. When three-pointers fall on top of that defense, they’re even tougher. The defensive effort is what sends the NBA Finals back to San Antonio all square at one game apiece.

The Takeaway: The word “identity” is used a lot around the HEAT and Sunday’s victory was a return to it. The HEAT spaced the floor well, ran the break, forced turnovers, blocked shots and created a whole lot of skirmishes. Going with smaller lineups once again proved to be key for the HEAT as the extra space enabled LeBron James to get going late in the third quarter. For the second NBA Finals in a row, Mario Chalmers and Mike Miller delivered for the HEAT. Chalmers led all scorers with 19 points as he hit a couple of threes and got to the line consistently. Miller’s insertion into the game in the third quarter gave the HEAT the spark they needed. In his nine second half minutes, the HEAT beat the Spurs by 23 points. The HEAT weathered an early storm from Gary Neal and Danny Green in this one. While the final score is impressive, the first two and a half quarters give the HEAT plenty to improve upon. But for most of Game 2, we saw the HEAT return to their identity. An identity we know can deliver.

Notes: Mario Chalmers finished with 19 points, four rebounds and two assists. LeBron James added 17 points, eight rebounds, seven assists, three steals and three blocks. Chris Bosh tallied a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds while also pitching in four assists and three steals. Dwyane Wade facilitated well, wrapping up with 10 points and six assists. Ray Allen, Mike Miller and Chris Andersen combined for 31 points off of the bench. Jarvis Varnado and Juwan Howard were inactive.

Infographic:

130609_infernofastbreak.jpg

#2 Scar

Scar

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • LocationThe Wood

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:45 PM

Yo, two things we gotta fix after this nice win.

One, we can't give up so many 2nd chance points.

Two, Wade HAS to stop leaving these shooters wide open. It didn't cost us in this game, but 17 points from Green is waaaaaay too many for him.

Other then that I like it.

Imitation is the best form of flattery

Inaugural Miami Heat Forum Fantasy Basketball Champion! (2013)

#3 305LWB

305LWB

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,149 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:07 AM

LeBron sucked, Wade had another good first half, but another shtty 2nd half. Bosh played a very solid game. Rio da GOAT. Cant ask anymore out of our sharpshooters Ray and Miller. Birdman was great as usual. Game 3 is another must win. Oh and that picture of LeBron blocking Splitter is sick.

#4 gotankles

gotankles

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:48 AM

lebron looked like 2011 finals lebron much of the night, but he did leave a great impact in the end of the third and fourth, he gets a pass because the last two years seems like he hasnt had an off game.

Wade was great in the 1st half, he literally wasnt needed in the second so good he gets to rest that knee a little, love the adjustment for bosh to shoot the mid range and not camp out at the 3 point line, spo has made great adjustments in the rotation and game plan so far and ive really enjoyed to see his progression as a coach albeit this evolution of his has been painful over the years. he has been doing  a solid job this year and i think that goes unnoticed by us fans sometimes 

#5 Wuchuhurd

Wuchuhurd

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:05 AM

That fourth quarter by LeBron was huge for his psyche and to the relief of the fans because for awhile there it started to feel like the 2011 Finals again as many of us have pointed out. He did a great job filling up the stat sheet but I don't think he can get away scoring 17 points a game again, it's a bit of a risky proposition relying on the role players for scoring especially with Wade playing through with his floating kneecap.

Going into San Antonio I think he has start being more aggressive because it's difficult for role players to get the type of production they get at home. At the same time I do feel better about the role players now, particularly the shooters as it seems they are relieved to not be against up against the best 3 point defense in the league and have a rhythm going.
1zg3qc8.jpg

#6 heatphin4lyfe

heatphin4lyfe

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • LocationBorn in FLA. Reside in NC

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:19 AM

Much needed victory, but still has work to do. That 2nd half defense will be needed for 48 minutes throughout each game in order for MIAMI to precure their crown. Instead waiting around, the HEAT needs to come out from the outset with defensive pressure and offensive attacks. Great to see many players involved in this win, MIAMI will need them, everyone...TEAM HEAT since '88!

#7 Miami Heat Fan 4 Life

Miami Heat Fan 4 Life

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,987 posts
  • LocationHialeah,Florida

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:30 AM

Miami must forget this game 2 win and try to play much better in game 3 on the road, also they should not settle for winning a game or two in SA they should think sweep the Spurs in their house which very few people/ almost nobody thinks they can do.

#8 miamiheatallday1

miamiheatallday1

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,513 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:42 AM

Game 3 is pivotal. Like who ever takes this game, wins the series possibly. We need this game
Posted Image

#9 Master Spo™

Master Spo™

All-NBA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,273 posts
  • LocationAtlantis The Palm Jumeirah, Dubai, UAE

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:55 AM

Said Ginobili: “We have basically no shot winning a game against them if none of us [Spurs stars] played good.”

#10 Scar

Scar

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • LocationThe Wood

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

I think my favorite series of plays from this game came from both teams SGs.

Manu Ginobili did one hell of a euro step to knife right into our defense and made it look easy, one of his few good plays of the game.

Then, Dwyane Wade responded with his own Euro step and got those two points right back for us.

It was fun to see both these star guards go into their bags of tricks. Wade was playing horse with Manu in that sequence. lol

Imitation is the best form of flattery

Inaugural Miami Heat Forum Fantasy Basketball Champion! (2013)

#11 robert829

robert829

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

Very happy for the win but that guy Green is wow i don't know what to say.They got to be aggressive on him a little more i guess..

#12 Spartan99

Spartan99

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

Looks like the heat did a good job this game. It appears that the Spurs deviated from the 3 up top-4 in the box-3 down low defense and had to go to a 3/2 type defense and what I saw that was interesting is that this defense went from the 3/2 and formed a "Circle Defense" around the basket The perimeter of the Circle Defense around the basket was making it tough to get to the Basket something that you might think about looking out for Heat.

Look like the heat stopped alot of the movement on the floor and the Spurs had to drive to the Basket or dish it back out which accounted for the low Score of the Spurs because they couldn't do play action to the Basket. This is what you want you want the Spurs to be off balance and have to drive in uncomfortable zones more than they want to. Realistically the Heat is a more Athletic team. Being in an uncomfortable zone causes the Spurs three point shout percentage to be low.

#13 cojacfar

cojacfar

Rotation Player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

LeBron is playing poorly, but I think he will pull through.

The scary thing is his jumpshot is way off still. The Spurs are giving him tons of airspace, but he hasn't been able to capitalize. If he has a good shooting him he's going to completely blow their doors off the Spurs alone. 

I am a little worried though. Leonard is pretty much shutting him down. Obviously the Spurs are doubling in the post and shading towards him all the other times, but I would like to see some more penetration somehow. 

#14 LeBoshAde

LeBoshAde

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:44 PM

What Lebron said is haunting him. "U cant tempt me to do what i dont wanna do in 2013".

Spurs are still tempting him to take jump shots and hes not hitting them. I think Lebron is pissed that spurs disregarded what he said. Thats why hes shooting so much j's tryna back up what he said but its totally backfiring...

#15 Maroko

Maroko

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,340 posts
  • LocationCole World

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:39 PM

What Lebron said is haunting him. "U cant tempt me to do what i dont wanna do in 2013".

Spurs are still tempting him to take jump shots and hes not hitting them. I think Lebron is pissed that spurs disregarded what he said. Thats why hes shooting so much j's tryna back up what he said but its totally backfiring...

Do we have Melo or Kobe playing for us ? I didnt know that LeBron was only a scorer LOL

+30 on the floor with him what do you want more ? i mean we destroyed them in that game 2 

firelebron.gif

On this Board, people are quoting me for existing ! 

Maroko_Banderas_owning_Bitches_HeatFakeD

#16 SouthBeachTalent

SouthBeachTalent

Rotation Player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

are people seriously questioning Lebron? didn't we stop this conversation a year ago?

#17 Maroko

Maroko

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,340 posts
  • LocationCole World

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:54 PM

are people seriously questioning Lebron? didn't we stop this conversation a year ago?

Hidden smoke for covering Wade... :unsure:

#18 Maroko

Maroko

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,340 posts
  • LocationCole World

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:15 PM

Skip Bayless after that blowout : "I DIDNT SEE THAT COMING" LOL

#19 Starter

Starter

All-NBA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  • LocationLuxembourg

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:51 PM

It was a great game, especially 2 half , we turn it up.., but we have to do a better job defending the 3,limits their penetration, play our pressure defense, grab our rebounds, and  get out in transition, move the ball, drain our 3, and we all  good, we the better team if we perform at our best.! If we win 1on the road, good, but I think we can win more games there..

HeaTNation

#20 Maroko

Maroko

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,340 posts
  • LocationCole World

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:01 PM