32 replies to this topic

#21 #1draftppick

#1draftppick

The G.O.A.T

• Moderators
  • 10,119 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted Today, 05:29 PM

Not surprising that birch got cut...Dawkins probably won't see any mins this year though

564032845.gif

-Winner Of The 2010 Miami Heat Message Boards Most Improved Poster Award   
-Winner Of The 2011 Miami Heat Message Boards Most Improved Poster Award

I don't lock threads, I just delete them

© 2009, #1draftppick, Inc. All rights reserved. Mario "The GOAT" Chalmers, GOAT, and the GOAT logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of #1draftppick, Inc. In the United States of America and

elsewhere.

#22 Rileysrighthand

Rileysrighthand

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,450 posts
  • LocationWest Side LA

Posted Today, 05:41 PM

Birch could have even started at PF to help Bosh to rebound and bring some energy. 

aBKZArA_460sa.gif

"That dance card had been punched," he said of the too-late push for Anthony. "We were a little bit late to that party. I made a call, but we were late in on that one."

#23 Mr. baller

Mr. baller

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted Today, 05:43 PM

Birch could have even started at PF to help Bosh to rebound and bring some energy. 

aBKZArA_460sa.gif

No chance Birch would ever see the court let alone start. Lets be honest here, if he made the team he would've been man #15. 

#24 Wadeflash06

Wadeflash06

FLASH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • LocationNot so sunny Florida

Posted Today, 05:45 PM

What????? They waived Birch? 

This coaching staff is so stupid. He was probably one of the best rebounders/ shot blockers on the team, good luck with the post D now. I thought we had found a diamond in the rough with this guy and then he gets waived. SMFH.

Oh, and that useless Justin Hamilton is still on the team. Good luck with that. 

I really don't understand this decision. Such a headscratcher. Don't even know what to say...

If Khem birch was supposed to be our best low post defender, and one of our best rebounders, we'll definitely be picking in the lottery next season. The fact of the matter, is he would have seen minimal playtime in the regular season. I feel as if you guys are placing too much stock, in meaningless games. Also, I'm sure Riley and the coaching staff were in agreement, as he was the one who signed Birch. We only see the games, the coaching staff on the other hand sees his work ethic, him at practice, and in the locker room. To call them clueless, because you disagree with a move is borderline insane, considering we know so little compared to them.

heat1-620x362.jpgo

TOGETHER WE STAND 

#25 Rileysrighthand

Rileysrighthand

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,450 posts
  • LocationWest Side LA

Posted Today, 05:49 PM

fine. we'll see the results when the season starts. Hamilton's been with the HEAT for what, 2 seasons and 1 being in the D League. and what did he bring to the team?  players like Birch will give their best because they need the job. it might just be preseason games but he had games of double figure in rebounds. we'll see.

"That dance card had been punched," he said of the too-late push for Anthony. "We were a little bit late to that party. I made a call, but we were late in on that one."

#26 rafroch

rafroch

Team-First Mentality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,297 posts
  • LocationMiami-Dade, Florida

Posted Today, 05:49 PM

If Khem birch was supposed to be our best low post defender, and one of our best rebounders, we'll definitely be picking in the lottery next season. The fact of the matter, is he would have seen minimal playtime in the regular season. I feel as if you guys are placing too much stock, in meaningless games. Also, I'm sure Riley and the coaching staff were in agreement, as he was the one who signed Birch. We only see the games, the coaching staff on the other hand sees his work ethic, him at practice, and in the locker room. To call them clueless, because you disagree with a move is borderline insane, considering we know so little compared to them.

I'm not here to say that we have greater credibility than the coaching staff, and I certainly know a lot less about the routine that Birch goes through than them, but at the same time there were many fans who were frustrated, and with good reason, when we waived Patrick Beverley, and it turns out he has become a starter for a playoff team and one of the best perimeter defenders in the game.

What I am trying to say is that, from my limited perspective, Birch looked like he had potential. Does the coaching staff have access to more resources to make this judgement than I do? Most certainly, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily right.  

#27 Rileysrighthand

Rileysrighthand

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,450 posts
  • LocationWest Side LA

Posted Today, 05:51 PM

No chance Birch would ever see the court let alone start. Lets be honest here, if he made the team he would've been man #15. 

if i was coach i'd give him chance to start cause the HEAT's weakness is rebound and we all know Bosh is not very good at it.

#28 Wadeflash06

Wadeflash06

FLASH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted Today, 06:05 PM

[quote name="Rileysrighthand" post="300812" timestamp="1414277363"]fine. we'll see the results when the season starts. Hamilton's been with the HEAT for what, 2 seasons and 1 being in the D League. and what did he bring to the team? players like Birch will give their best because they need the job. it might just be preseason games but he had games of double figure in rebounds. we'll see.[/quote]

Well yeah, of course, he should produce when playing against other NBA players, who are struggling to make a roster. But as I've said again it's Pre season, and you guys are making it seem as if we cut Dwyane or Bosh. We cut a guy, who I think is a bit overrated here. I can't remember the last time when a developmental big amounted to a very good NBA player.

What I am trying to say is that, from my limited perspective, Birch looked like he had potential. Does the coaching staff have access to more resources to make this judgement than I do? Most certainly, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily right.
[/quote]
Yes, we cut Beverely, but that does not mean there should be an uproar every time a player who shows decent potential is sent packing.Potential does not necessarily equate to sucess, and that's why I'm personally not upset about this move. For every patrick Beverly I can name twenty players, who showed potential,. Knowing this coaching staff, and Riley's background I seriously doubt he would have received serious playing time. Maybe I'll be wrong, and he'll turn out to be an NBA caliber player, but to be honest I wasn't impressed by his play.

heat1-620x362.jpgo

TOGETHER WE STAND 

#29 ChampaynePapi

ChampaynePapi

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted Today, 06:12 PM

I'm not here to say that we have greater credibility than the coaching staff, and I certainly know a lot less about the routine that Birch goes through than them, but at the same time there were many fans who were frustrated, and with good reason, when we waived Patrick Beverley, and it turns out he has become a starter for a playoff team and one of the best perimeter defenders in the game.

this

and the thing is we waive players w. potential in terms of what we need more so than the takent prospective

We needed a player that can defend quick guards, waived Beverley, & got torched by JJ Barea in the Finals

We need a player that can protect the paint and rebound and we keep a center that does none of that very well

Bev was our best defensive guard in the preseason & people forget we waived him in favor of a washed up Eddie House and Patrick ended up going on to a 2nd team all defensive player

plus the fact that Birch was waived and the coaching staff kept a player w. much less upside(Hamilton), could've found a cheaper replacement for Haslem or Birdman when the time came plus the fact that Haslem is on his last leg & Birdman is injury prone now

#30 ChampaynePapi

ChampaynePapi

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted Today, 06:15 PM

[quote name="Wadeflash06" post="300816" timestamp="1414278351"]Well yeah, of course, he should produce when playing against other NBA players, who are struggling to make a roster. But as I've said again it's Pre season, and you guys are making it seem as if we cut Dwyane or Bosh. We cut a guy, who I think is a bit overrated here. I can't remember the last time when a developmental big amounted to a very good NBA player.
[/quote]
Yes, we cut Beverely, but that does not mean there should be an uproar every time a player who shows decent potential is sent packing.Potential does not necessarily equate to sucess, and that's why I'm personally not upset about this move. For every patrick Beverly I can name twenty players, who showed potential,. Knowing this coaching staff, and Riley's background I seriously doubt he would have received serious playing time. Maybe I'll be wrong, and he'll turn out to be an NBA caliber player, but to be honest I wasn't impressed by his play.[/quote]

w. the exception of his offense was his play not better than Justin Hamiltons?

The main reason that people on here are mad is because we waive guys w. "Potential" for guys that are either in the latter stages of their career, guys w. little to no upside, or guys that had a past reputation for being good but got riddled w. Injuries especially in the center department. The main problem skip out on guys like Birch for guys like Jarmaine Oneal, Jamaal Magloire, Eric Dampier, Dexter Pittman, Justin Hamilton, etc. The only exception is Birdman oretty much, but he doesnt have long till he starts to decline. The problem w. the coaching staff is they always try to go for the homerun for the short term and don't think about the long term prospective. Been that way for yrs

#31 Takashi

Takashi

Rotation Player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • LocationWade County

Posted Today, 06:19 PM

this cant be a bad thing tho. EXTREMELY slim chance we pick up other players that were waived?

867772917.gif?1413071403

#32 Angelo

Angelo

Loyalty over Royalty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,760 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida

Posted Today, 07:20 PM

It's disappointing to see Birch get waived because from the time I saw on the court, he did everything right defensively (except for his fouls). He had potential to be a solid player but had ways to go to develop his game because he was Joel Anthony type on the offensive side. Maybe he gets assigned to our D-League? Whoever picks him up will be in good hands with his potential. A part of me thinks this move will seem regretful a couple seasons from now.

Dawkins, on the other hand, provides the shooting we really need. However, he probably won't get playing time because he'll be behind Chalmers and Brown. Also, it kind of makes sense to load up on shooting guards because you never know what can happen to Wade (-knocks on wood). Overall, can't be mad about the Heat staff's decision, they probably liked something they saw out of Hamilton yesterday because he did end up playing well after a rusty start. I just hate his defense and I hope he cleans that up.

Anyways, congrats to Dawkins on making the team. Hopefully he can develop into a great role player who can do more than knock down 3's.

"What really cements a forever bond is going through what we went through this year and staying the course." - Pat Riley
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
The Future Duo: Ennis and Napier

#33 Wadeflash06

Wadeflash06

FLASH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted Today, 07:35 PM

[quote name="ChampaynePapi" post="300818" timestamp="1414278919"]Yes, we cut Beverely, but that does not mean there should be an uproar every time a player who shows decent potential is sent packing.Potential does not necessarily equate to sucess, and that's why I'm personally not upset about this move. For every patrick Beverly I can name twenty players, who showed potential,. Knowing this coaching staff, and Riley's background I seriously doubt he would have received serious playing time. Maybe I'll be wrong, and he'll turn out to be an NBA caliber player, but to be honest I wasn't impressed by his play.[/quote]
w. the exception of his offense was his play not better than Justin Hamiltons?
The main reason that people on here are mad is because we waive guys w. "Potential" for guys that are either in the latter stages of their career, guys w. little to no upside, or guys that had a past reputation for being good but got riddled w. Injuries especially in the center department. The main problem skip out on guys like Birch for guys like Jarmaine Oneal, Jamaal Magloire, Eric Dampier, Dexter Pittman, Justin Hamilton, etc. The only exception is Birdman oretty much, but he doesnt have long till he starts to decline. The problem w. the coaching staff is they always try to go for the homerun for the short term and don't think about the long term prospective. Been that way for yrs[/quote]

When you have number 6, number 3, and number 1 you don't think about the future, you're only worried about the present. And the coaching staff doe not make moves, however, Riley does. And he already has stated he'd rather build through FA than take a young flyer, so i have no idea why you guys are suprised.

heat1-620x362.jpgo

TOGETHER WE STAND 

6 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users