Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Danny

Clippers at HEAT Official Preview and Game Thread

670_heatclipperspre_130208.jpg

(Photo Credit: Marc Serota)

The Miami HEAT host the Los Angeles Clippers tonight at AmericanAirlines Arena. The HEAT (32-14) lead the Eastern Conference. The Clippers (35-16) are holding onto the third seed in the West. Tip off is set for 8:00 PM; coverage on Sun Sports starts at 7:30 PM.

1: As of this writing, the Clippers may or may not have Chris Paul, Chauncey Billups, Jamal Crawford and some guy named Blake Griffin available tonight. There’s not really a question here.

Couper Moorhead: Yet another HEAT game with an opponent not at full strength. It’s getting a little old, but fans would rather the HEAT be the ones at full strength than the other way around. What this means is that, even if all their guys play, throw out the idea of a statement game that really *means* something and just enjoy the game for what it is.

Danny Martinez: I can’t say I’m really surprised. If I listed all of the marquee players who have missed games against the HEAT we’d be here until next week. It’s unfortunate because if both teams have their full rosters, we’re in for a great show. My fingers have been crossed since Wednesday night. They’ll stay that way until game time.

2: Since we likely both consider the Clippers an elite team despite of all their injuries, do they need to be 100 percent healthy to remain elite come playoff time?

Couper: They could probably be without Billups or possibly even a DeAndre Jordan and still have enough to make a serious run, but an injury or two, while never ideal, might make things easier on Vinny Del Negro. There are some serious rotation questions to be answered once we pass the mid-point of April, and the Clippers won’t be able to play all of their role players. That means, if healthy, that (probably) the most valuable bench unit in the league would have its minutes reduced, and players like Crawford and Eric Bledsoe would have to get used to some different combinations on the court.

Danny: They don’t need to be 100 percent, but they need Chris Paul to be 100 percent. In the playoffs, depth is often overrated. For the most part, production only comes from the top six or seven spots. And even then, it’s heavily skewed towards the top two or three. So if Paul and Blake Griffin are healthy, the Clippers will be a problem out West.

3: Assess how Chris Andersen is playing so far and how he is fitting in. Go. Now?

Couper: He’s doing just fine. According to Erik Spoelstra, Andersen’s – no, I’m still not referring to him as Birdman, at least not in print – conditioning is well ahead of schedule considering Spoelstra wasn’t planning on him playing before the All-Star break. Andersen’s rebounding rates are off the charts right now, and even if they don’t sustain, he’s doing everything you could expect from him so far, albeit with fewer blocks that has more to do with randomness than an indictment of his skills. He’s coming along nicely with his grasp of the defensive system as well – there has still be a little freelancing – but what is really going to keep him on the court is his ability to provide offensive value as a spread-pick-and-roll guy. If he can keep doing that, he’ll play.

Danny: It’s hard not to be excited about what Andersen has shown the last couple of weeks. His relentless energy fits right in with HEAT beliefs. Andersen’s ability to crash the glass, on both the offensive and defensive ends is a huge plus for the HEAT. Once Andersen gets his legs under him, I suspect his shot blocking and defense will become big time assets. He’s fitting in, and that’s really all you can hope for.

@IraHeatBeat: Ray Allen (flu) expected to miss tonight's Clippers game. Bosh and Wade listed as game-time decisions. All missed shootaround.

I think we can win without one of Bosh or Wade but not both. Hopefully one of them channels their inner MJ lol

We'll need Wade and Bosh if we're going to beat the Clips with CP3 and Griffin. I hope everyone plays, we need the challenge.

It would be interesting to see the Heat play a tough team like the Clippers without Wade and Bosh. LBJ could turn back the hands of time and re-live his Cavalier days. lol

If he did ban me forever and if he failed delete close the Mario's thread

i know already your answer no balls and no trust your idole <_<

If he did ban me forever and if he failed delete close the Mario's thread

is this a question? i dont understand what youre saying

If Almario Chalmers broke his record of Trey then ban me forever but if he failed then close that dumb Mario's thread.

Do you want to bet ?

If Almario Chalmers broke his record of Trey then ban me forever but if he failed then close that dumb Mario's thread.

Do you want to bet ?

i think ill just suspend you for being such a troll

MIAMI should win this game with or without WADE/BOSH duo.If everyone step up, there shouldn't be any reason MIAMI loses this game. Protect your house MIAMI...TEAM HEAT since'88!

Da fuq Bosh getting everyone sick.

But with Bosh and Ray out, I expect UD, Rio and MM if he plays to step up for us. Big rebound game needed by UD again. Birdman will bring his high energy and Lewis will prob get some burn too. Kinda hate that a lot of the elite teams we have faced weren't at full strength with their stars

Some crazy *** diarrhea going around in the Heat locker room. The mystery is who is responsible for this??? Who brought the damn virus into the Heat's locker room?!??!

No reasons why Heat shouldn't compete and go for revenge against a Clipper team that EMBARRASSED us last time. Heat have got to bring their DEFENSE, and be patient with their shots. I think with Ray and Bosh out, we will defensively be better.

On Offense, Dwade and Lebron better buy a house in the PAINT AREA, and make a living at the Free Throw line. If you see Dwade and Lebron settle for jumpers, that mean we will lose this one.

NO EXCUSES. Heat need to start playing now.

Virus... Flu... oh yeah

Bosh & Wade has BIRD FLU , Heat probably got one of those Birds in their locker room spreading its wings and diseases <_<

Virus... Flu... oh yeah

Bosh & Wade has BIRD FLU , Heat probably got one of those Birds in their locker room spreading its wings and diseases <_<

Well not to fear the Birdman is in da house tonight. Our MVP is JOEL, and when he is on the floor and playing hard, our team defense picks up. I hope that:

Starting lineup will be: Mario-Dwade-Lebron-UD-Joel.

Second Unit: Cole-Miller-Bron-Battier-Birdman

Third Unit: Rio-Dwade-Lewis-Battier-Joel

• Similar Content

• By Joe B.
      Photo Credit: David Dow
      With the pain of missing the playoffs by the slimmest of margins ingrained in their memory, the HEAT entered the 2017-18 season seeking redemption. Take a look back at how Miami achieved that goal here.
    • By Joe B.
      From all of us at the Miami HEAT, thank you for your unwavering support all season long. 
    • By Joe B.
      Photo Credit: Jesse D. Garrabrant
      The Miami HEAT fell to the Philadelphia 76ers 104-91 Tuesday night at Wells Fargo Center in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference First Round. Kelly Olynyk led the way for the HEAT with 18 points. Philadelphia wins the series 4-1. Click here for the full recap on HEAT.com
    • By Joe B.
      Photo Credit: David Dow
      The Miami HEAT face the Philadelphia 76ers Tuesday night at Wells Fargo Center in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference First Round. Philadelphia leads the series 3-1. Tip-off is set for 8:00 PM. Television coverage on FOX Sports Sun begins at 7:30 PM. You can also listen to the action live on 790 The Ticket.
      1: What can we learn from Philadelphia’s late push to a Game 4 victory?
      Couper Moorhead: This won’t be a comforting statistic for anyone to read, but the 76ers were the first team to win a playoff game with 26 or more turnovers since 1986. For that to come up as the difference between a tied series and going on the road down 3-1 certainly can’t be easy for HEAT, but that’s the reality of the situation.
      Those turnovers, and 18 Miami steals, were by and large the reason the HEAT were playing with around a 10-point lead for much of the game. They were out attacking passing lanes, getting deflections (with over 20 for the third-straight game) and contesting every Philadelphia three possible (22.6 percent from distance). It was, in so many words, the HEAT playing a very HEAT game in every way you would expect, from the physicality to the discipline on display defensively, where they cut off drives and recovered to shooters. They were in control of both the game and the score.
      So how did the Sixers come back despite all of that? Six quick points from Ersan İlyasova, including a tough three, at the end of the third made it was four-point game headed into the final period. And then Philadelphia’s defense came alive, holding Miami to just 19 points in the period. And maybe that’s all there is to really learn. You can play some of your best basketball, but in a closely contested series against a talented opponent just one stretch of mistakes can cost you a handful on the scoreboard. Miami has done enough to beat a good number of teams, it just wasn’t quite enough to beat Philadelphia on Saturday.
      Joe Beguiristain: We just continued to see how tough the 76ers are. Even with some great defense by Miami for most of the contest (the HEAT totaled 18 steals, including seven from Josh Richardson) and a late offensive surge by Dwyane Wade (12 points on 5-of-10 shooting in the fourth), Philadelphia never lost its composure.
      Much like in Game 3, the 76ers upped their defensive pressure and came through with timely offensive rebounds to escape with the narrow victory despite committing a whopping 27 turnovers.
      While J.J. Redick and Ben Simmons made some big plays late, the HEAT did a great job against Joel Embiid and made his catches tough throughout. In fact, Hassan Whiteside held Embiid to just 1-of-8 shooting and an unreal five turnovers. Bam Adebayo, meanwhile, fared just as well and limited the Cameroonian to 0-of-3 shooting and three turnovers.
      It would be unreasonable to expect that once again, but it will take that kind of effort from both bigs if Miami wants to come out ahead this time around.
      2: Are there any adjustments Miami can make to try and force a Game 6?
      Couper: Erik Spoelstra will likely take a look at everything, from making lineup changes to changing defensive coverages to shifting offensive responsibilities. He’s not one to leave things on the table. But for everything he’ll likely look at, it’s very possible that there aren’t actually many major changes that need to be made. You go down 3-1 in a series and it’s easy to think drastic adjustments are in line, but that’s not always the case. Sometimes, and we’ve said this here before, the best adjustment is just doing what you’ve been doing and doing it better. The HEAT have already been doing things very, very well, but if being even better than that is what it takes, then so be it. As Spoelstra has said a number of times in this series, that’s the challenge.
      Joe: At this point, I don’t think there is much to change or adjust for either team. Although Miami is down 3-1, this has been a highly competitive series between two teams that really get after it. Sure, Erik Spoelstra might make a few minor tweaks to his rotation based on player performance, but that’s been the case all year long. And as Coup mentioned in his first response, the HEAT have executed well enough to win most of these games, so it’s really just a matter of sustaining that high level of play for longer periods of time.
      At the end of the day, Miami just needs to keep up its defensive activity to make up for the size disparity and continue to attack in the pick-and-roll to create more openings on the other end.
      We’ll see how it all plays out.
      3: The HEAT have led at halftime of each game this series. What can they do better to hold leads in the second half?
      Couper: Something Dwyane Wade emphasized a number of times following Game 4 was that the Sixers make you pay for every single mistake you make. If you take your foot off the gas for just a couple of minutes, those minutes are going to cost you.
      Now, it’s probably not fair to say the HEAT have ever really taken their foot off the gas given how consistently hard they have been playing on the defensive end, but they have certainly had some offensive droughts that have allowed the Sixers to make up some ground. That’s not always to say they stop getting good shots or don’t run their offense, but even going cold on wide open shots for a minute or two is enough to turn a game – such as at the end of the third quarter on Saturday, which snowballed into an extended Philadelphia run – in a series where both teams are in overdrive. That’s also been a bit of a trend at times for Miami this season, where they’ll have one down six-minute stretch even in games where they’re otherwise topping 26-28 in a quarter, and trends like that can carry over to the postseason even if you can minimize them. 
      Spoelstra has said he’s been looking for a complete game from his team at times this season. He’s been getting complete effort, but the HEAT might just need complete offense to start a comeback. And they’ll have to do it against a team that’s proved to be capable of truly elite level defense.
      Joe: Although the HEAT have done a great job of building early leads, the 76ers have responded well time and time again down the stretch. Thanks to Philadelphia’s fusion of length and discipline, the team has made things quite difficult on Miami in the halfcourt more often than not. As such, it’ll behoove the HEAT to push the pace as much as possible and get some easy buckets in transition. But if the opportunity doesn’t present itself, Miami should still be able to find some success in the pick-and-roll with Dragić and Wade attacking and Whiteside and Adebayo diving to the rim with force. In addition to defending Embiid really well in Game 4, both HEAT centers threw down some ferocious alley-oops on the break, so perhaps they can continue that and also translate it to set offense on Tuesday.
      Highlights:
      Game 4 – 76ers at HEAT
      Game 3 – 76ers at HEAT
      Game Notes:
      Goran Dragić leads Miami with 19.5 points per game during the postseason. Ben Simmons leads Philadelphia in points (19.3), rebounds (10.8), assists (9.8) and steals (2.5) per contest in the playoffs. The HEAT are 8-2 in their last 10 elimination games. Josh Richardson (left shoulder sprain) is listed as questionable.
    • By Joe B.
      Photo Credit: Issac Baldizon
      The Miami HEAT fell to the Philadelphia 76ers 106-102 Saturday afternoon in Game 4 of the Eastern Conference First Round. Dwyane Wade led the way for the HEAT with 25 points. Philadelphia now leads the series 3-1. Click here for the full recap on HEAT.com.