Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Danny

Lakers at HEAT Official Game Thread and Preview

670_heatlakerspre_130210.jpg

(Photo Credit: Mike Ehrmann)

The Miami HEAT host the Los Angeles Lakers Sunday afternoon at AmericanAirlines Arena. The HEAT have won four straight games and sit at 33-14 and atop the Eastern Conference. The Lakers are 24-27 and 3.5 games out of the playoffs in the West. Tip off is set for 3:30 PM.

1: What does Pau Gasol's injury mean to the Lakers?

Couper Moorhead: Before Gasol's injury, the most important thing for the Lakers as they attempted to get back into the playoff picture was to figure out what to do with him. Were they going to get him a consistent role on the team, possibly in a staggered-minutes system with Dwight Howard so Gasol and Steve Nash could run well-spaced pick-and-rolls? Or were they going to try to find good value for him on the trade market? Either way, they had to find a solution, and while they don't have to concern themselves with that question now with Gasol likely out past the trade deadline, that loss of value could be a critical blow to those playoff hopes?

Danny Martinez: Besides the actual play on the floor, Gasol’s injury makes a thin frontline even thinner. The Lakers came into the season with three players likely to play most of the front court minutes in Gasol, Dwight Howard and Jordan Hill. Hill is out for the season, Howard has dealt with a myriad of injuries and now Gasol is out for an extended period. The Lakers are now having to play Earl Clark, Robert Sacre and even Antawn Jamison at center for stretches. It’s tough. On the floor, Gasol’s absesnce hurts because he’s such a valuable player. He’s struggled some this season, but Gasol is still one of the more talented big men in the league. His creativity and shooting will be missed. The healthy bigs can fill some of the roles, but none are as complete as Gasol.

2: LeBron said he doesn't buy Kobe as a distributor. Do you?

Couper: I buy it only in the sense that Kobe has always been entirely capable of being a facilitator -- he's just that talented. But he doesn't seem to be wired that way, and it's ridiculous to praise someone for changing their identity when there is nothing more than four or five games of evidence to back up that claim. This was a storyline more than anything else, but that shouldn't be an indictment of Bryant's abilities.

Danny: I don’t. While I think Bryant has the skills to be a facilitator, he doesn’t really use them on a consistent basis. Bryant likes to score and is great at it. While the Lakers won some games with Bryant facilitating, it likely wasn’t the reason the Lakers were winning. Their defense and schedule were the real reasons. Bryant is as creative as they come, but he chooses to use that creativity to score. I think his track record proves he knows what he’s doing.

3: If Chris Bosh is ready to play, does Shane Battier return to the bench?

Couper: Most likely, but then again it's impossible to know what exactly Erik Spoelstra's timeline is for this season. He's been starting Udonis Haslem and bringing Battier off the bench primarily in order to preserve Battier for the playoffs, but at some point he's probably going to want to get his team ready for the postseason. The chances of that time coming before the All-Star break, however, are unlikely. But you never know.

Danny: Yep. I don’t see why he wouldn’t. In the postseason, when things matter, I think we’ll see Battier inserted back into the starting lineup. It creates so many offensive mismatches that I don’t think the HEAT will be able to resist the urge. But in February, things aren’t do-or-die, playing “small” or positionless can be draining, particularly for Battier. There’s no need to submit him, and others who slot up a position, to extra wear and tear. We know what Battier adds when in the starting lineup. We also know it’s not necessary for the HEAT to use that weapon to win regular season games. There’s no need to push it right now.

Super team Lakers cant play defense cept Dwight

After seeing that dunk fest in the 1st meeting, I expect pretty much the same from that especially no towering 7 footer Gasol in the area... lol as if he was a factor anyway :D

2 LA teams beatdown is what I'm hoping

Well you never know, I admit you're on a streak, but don't get complacent here. Just continue where you left off, play your current game, guys...

Ah yes, watch the refs, too,...

Anything short of a complete a$$ whipping would be criminal.

Enough with the refs already. They miss calls on both sides, anyone that thinks they pick on us in particular, are wearing 'homer goggles'. There are plenty of people on the outside looking in that think we get the benefit of the whistle. I'm calling it even.

Yes, this game another opportunity to laugh at my friends who are lakers fans! And try to push them further from the postseason :) I'm expecting LeBron, Wade to do it again, it seems when Bosh is out they play with more urgency and it's just a nightmare for opposing teams (similar to the Indiana series)

im expecting Miami to actually hit their outside shots this time and win by at least 20 no joke.

it's not a joke. the Heat all have veteran shooters even if w/o ray. they just have to set better shot selections especially from corner and utilize Lewis and JJ more.

But hopefully Bosh can come back, although I would still like them to have that same urgency for tomorrow's game. And LeBron usually gets up to play against Kobe anyways, it should be a good one

Bosh has like a cold flu like not actually a flu. other than that i dunno what's up but I think he'll definitely play.

im expecting Miami to actually hit their outside shots this time and win by at least 20 no joke.

The lakers dodged the bullet last meeting. Our guys were just off from outside. Like u expect our shots to fall outside

There are teams that the Heat just arent motivated to play against. This is NOT one of those teams, no matter what their record is.

Please blow this team out!

They actually chose to take away our corner 3. Didn't anyone read Coup's great article? But, if they choose to give it to us this time - our cast better knock them down. If not, we can bring POTUS in to spot up.

EGPT IS SAD CAUSE CHRISTIAN GOT FIRED FROM WWE FOR SUCKING

Spoey!

But he's not fired. He's gonna come back soon from his injury. This thread just sucks lol.

• Similar Content

• By Joe B.

Photo Credit: Kent Smith
      The Miami HEAT face the Atlanta Hawks Monday night at Philips Arena. The HEAT defeated the Hawks 104-93 in their last meeting on Oct. 23. Tip-off is set for 7:30 PM. Television coverage on FOX Sports Sun begins at 7:00 PM. You can also listen to the action live on 790 The Ticket.
      Highlights:
      Oct. 23 – Hawks at HEAT
      Feb. 24 – HEAT at Hawks
      Game Notes:
      The HEAT have won four of five and are 15-14. The Hawks have lost four straight and enter the contest at 6-23. Hassan Whiteside (left knee bone bruise) and James Johnson (right ankle bursitis) did not travel with the team to Atlanta. Dennis Schröder leads Atlanta in points (19.7) and assists (6.7) per contest.  
      Efficiencies (Rank):
      HEAT Offense: 102.3 (24) HEAT Defense: 104.0 (11) Hawks Offense: 103.2 (19) Hawks Defense: 108.4 (28)
    • By Joe B.

Photo Credit: Issac Baldizon
      The Miami HEAT defeated the Los Angeles Clippers 90-85 Saturday night at AmericanAirlines Arena. Josh Richardson led the way for the HEAT with a career-high 28 points. Click here for the full recap on HEAT.com.
    • By Joe B.

Photo Credit: Issac Baldizon
      The Miami HEAT host the Los Angeles Clippers Saturday night at AmericanAirlines Arena. Get your tickets now! The HEAT defeated the Clippers 104-101 in their last meeting on Nov. 5. Tip-off is set for 8:00 PM. Television coverage on FOX Sports Sun begins at 7:30 PM. You can also listen to the action live on 790 The Ticket.
      1: What did you like most about Miami’s win in Charlotte?
      Couper Moorhead: This felt like a formulaic win for the HEAT, which is a good thing. They defended consistently throughout the game, they hit their threes with Tyler Johnson and Wayne Ellington shooting 9-of-14 from deep and, in putting both those aspects together, outscored the other team’s bench. And then the lead they build from that was enough to absorb a late run by the best player on the opposing team. That’s how this Miami team can win consistently.
      But Johnson and Ellington shooting like this, and by this we mean they’ve been both been hot for about 10 days now, brings up another point that’s always healthy to make. At some point, they will both cool off. If they stay cool long enough, people will begin to wonder what is going on with their jumpers (as happened with Johnson early this season). That’s not how the narrative should operate. Both are proven shooters, and shooters can be streaky – or perhaps a better word is cyclical. For every time you are scorching hot, you’ll have other games when you aren’t shooting as well. That’s how percentages balance themselves out. Enjoy the hot streak while it happens, just treat it as much like an outlier as the valleys.
      Joe Beguiristain: I liked that the HEAT dominated on both ends of the floor for pretty much the entire contest, as seven Miami players scored in double-figures and the Hornets shot just 41 percent on the night. As Coup mentioned above, Wayne Ellington and Tyler Johnson led the way, but James Johnson and Goran Dragić also had strong performances.
      JJ picked up steam in the second quarter with aggressive attacks to the basket and some nice feeds to his teammates, while Dragić got into the paint often and led the team with seven assists.
      Another encouraging thing about Friday night was how the HEAT responded to adversity. Even though Kemba Walker went off in the fourth, Dion Waiters hit an important bucket with 1:09 left and Miami got enough stops down the stretch.
      As Erik Spoelstra said after the game, “You have to be prepared to play a full 48 minutes. I like our guys having to go through all that stress and anxiety and have to execute under duress…in context of a close game.”

2: What we did learn from the last game with the Clippers and what has changed since then?
      Couper: The most important changes are health related, as Patrick Beverley underwent knee surgery and is out for the season while Blake Griffin suffered a knee injury and was declared out for up to two months in late November. With Danilo Gallinari in and out of the lineup and now Austin Rivers out Friday night with a concussion, there’s been a struggle for consistency despite remaining in the Top 15 offensively (though that ranking figures to drop the more time Griffin misses).
      As for the lesson of that game, it was one Miami has learned a couple times this season which is that no matter how good your offense is early on and how much you’re able to stretch a lead, it’s your defense in the second half that holds off the opponent. The HEAT led by as much as 25 points in the second half but the Clippers stormed back in the final period, scoring 35. The HEAT may have gone cold down the stretch, but if you don’t allow an explosive scoring period the game doesn’t come down to a Griffin jumper missing the target in the final seconds.
      Joe: It’s hard to glean too much from that last game in terms of individual performances since Blake Griffin, Patrick Beverley, Austin Rivers and Hassan Whiteside will all be out this time around. That said, the HEAT should be wary of Lou Williams, who was the catalyst in the Clippers’ comeback bid.
      Since then, Williams has actually played even better.  With so many guys hurt, the 31-year-old vet has seen a major uptick in minutes over the past month or so. In fact, Williams has averaged 23.3 points, 5.7 assists and 1.2 steals in 35.1 minutes per game over his last 17 outings.
      We also should mention Miloš Teodosić, who missed that last matchup in early November. Teodosić is currently on a minutes restriction since he’s easing his way back from a plantar fascia injury, but he’s a fantastic passer who makes LA’s offense run much smoother. 
      3: Without Blake Griffin, who will Miami have to focus on stopping defensively?
      Couper: While it depends on whether or not Gallinari or Rivers are available to play, the man who can do a ton of damage (and is using 28 percent of the team’s offensive possessions with Blake out) is Lou Williams. While he may not be an All-Star, Williams has some of the elite skills of one as he’s capable of shooting and making off the dribble just about anywhere on the floor and doubles as one of the best in the league at getting to the free-throw line. Given that Miami’s recent slate of games has included Damian Lillard, CJ McCollum and Kemba Walker, they’ll be practiced at using the same coverage (should they choose to do so) against Williams and force him to give the ball up. Because if you give him space, he’s going to shoot. After that, do your best not to foul. Easier said than done.
      Joe: Like I stated in my previous response, Williams really is the guy Miami has to watch out for. Although he’s not as proficient in the pick-and-roll as Damian Lillard or Kemba Walker, he can still hit some really tough shots like both of those guys. A perfect example of that came on Dec.9 when he hit a well-contested three with 1.2 seconds left to give the Clippers a narrow victory over the Wizards.
      Since Williams is one of the only offensive threats on LA thanks to all the injuries (especially if Danilo Gallinari can’t play), it’ll behoove the HEAT to play up on him and make nothing come easy. As long as Miami sticks to its principles and minimizes its mistakes, all should be fine.

Highlights:
      Nov. 5 – HEAT at Clippers
      Jan. 8 – HEAT at Clippers
      Game Notes:
      The HEAT have won three of four and are 14-14. The Clippers have also won three of four, but they enter the contest at 11-16. Erik Spoelstra is one win away from breaking Pat Riley’s record for most regular season wins in franchise history. DeAndre Jordan leads Los Angeles in rebounds (14.7) and blocks (1.1) per game.  
      Efficiencies (Rank):
      HEAT Offense: 102.5 (23) HEAT Defense: 104.4 (13) Clippers Offense: 105.0 (15) Clippers Defense: 106.9 (20)
    • By Joe B.

Photo Credit: Kent Smith
      The Miami HEAT defeated the Charlotte Hornets 104-98 Friday night at Spectrum Center. Tyler Johnson and Wayne Ellington led the way for the HEAT with 16 points apiece. Five other players scored in double-figures for Miami. Click here for the full recap on HEAT.com.
    • By Joe B.

Photo Credit: Issac Baldizon
      At approximately 2:00 PM, I will be conducting trivia for two pairs of tickets to tomorrow night’s game against the Los Angeles Clippers (one question per pair). The same person can’t win both pairs. Please keep in mind that you must be at least 18-years-old in order to qualify and must reside in Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, Collier, or Monroe County.
      Also, you are ineligible if you've already won tickets this season. Please only play/answer if you can attend and qualify based on these rules.