Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

threemonocle

What can Greg Oden do for the Heat

59 posts in this topic

He could be the reason Miami stays relevant for a long time to come or he could just be another Pittman/Curry, a high-five on two legs.

We already have a Greg Oden thread.

1 person likes this

He is just what we need to complete this team, hugs upgrade on the boards on both end of the floor, a force at center position to go along with our Big’s in well designed rotation.! 

He brings what we need in this scheme....Can't wait for him to take on .

Anyway, what might LeBron and G.O. be talking about pre- and post game??

G.O.'s insertion into the rotation is the enigma I think we all are awaiting to discover. I'm so anxious to see what the big guy brings to this already well equipped machine...TEAM HEAT since '88!

I tried searching for some info about Oden, and found "rumors" about him coming back in February which is pretty disappointing to hear because I'm real anxious to watch him play.

Hopefully, they're just rumors and he gets inserted into the lineup sooner than expected, but I also wouldn't want him to rush back in the primetime action because his injuries are a bit scary.

In the end, we gotta be patient and when the time comes, it'd be great to see him make a comeback story. Rooting for him.

I tried searching for some info about Oden, and found "rumors" about him coming back in February which is pretty disappointing to hear because I'm real anxious to watch him play.

Hopefully, they're just rumors and he gets inserted into the lineup sooner than expected, but I also wouldn't want him to rush back in the primetime action because his injuries are a bit scary.

In the end, we gotta be patient and when the time comes, it'd be great to see him make a comeback story. Rooting for him.

If the healing rehab process takes that much time, we just gotta be patient. No point bringing him in, if he's way too out of shape after a couple of years of absense. Such a gap is huge.

Better healthy and ready than playing now and rusty 

Oden's health is likely fine and Miami is just biding time and getting him stronger. They may want to utilize him in the second half of the season similar to Birdman last year. I bet we don't see him until February. They probably prefer that he play 40 or so games instead of 60. We still have 16 games to win in the Playoffs.

1 person likes this

Oden's health is likely fine and Miami is just biding time and getting him stronger. They may want to utilize him in the second half of the season similar to Birdman last year. I bet we don't see him until February. They probably prefer that he play 40 or so games instead of 60. We still have 16 games to win in the Playoffs.

Yeah that is what I am thinking and when they do use him in the season it will likely be limited minutes too, especially in the first few games he plays.

Ill be mad if we have to wait to Feb. to see Oden play.. If he gets hurt before we play the pacers, we wont be going to the finals with soft *** bosh. Now I got to listen to Pacer/haters talk crap about their win at home. :(

Smh you guys say the same thing about every bust of a center that signs with this team. Oden, Pittman, Joel, Curry, Turiaf, etc. They all suck. Hell, people still think Bosh can step up on defense and rebounding.

Smh you guys say the same thing about every bust of a center that signs with this team. Oden, Pittman, Joel, Curry, Turiaf, etc. They all suck. Hell, people still think Bosh can step up on defense and rebounding.

I miss Turiaf. Out of all the Centers the HEAT have gone through since the Big 3 era, other than Birdman and Big Cat, he was my favorite. The rest were complete and utter garbage though. You forgot to throw in Big Z and Dampier as well, not that it really matters.

I miss Turiaf. Out of all the Centers the HEAT have gone through since the Big 3 era, other than Birdman and Big Cat, he was my favorite. The rest were complete and utter garbage though. You forgot to throw in Big Z and Dampier as well, not that it really matters.

Oh yeah, those scrubs lol Although I did think big Z could have been used more effectively. But yeah, they all sucked. Big Cat was fun though. Everyone knew his job was to play 90's "defense" lol 

Oh yeah, those scrubs lol Although I did think big Z could have been used more effectively. But yeah, they all sucked. Big Cat was fun though. Everyone knew his job was to play 90's "defense" lol 

Big Cat was fun. Hands down my third favorite Center in HEAT history. He wouldn't have been able to stop Hibbert by any means, but he'd get his moneys worth on the fouls. But yeah, you're right. There's just not much if anything Miami can do with Hibbert other than hope to get him in early foul trouble, which is pretty unlikely with the whole verticality rule or whatever it is. 

Unless Oden gets magically cured by a wizard, I've pretty much come to accept the fact that the Heat will always have a problem with big teams. For those who are always complaining about rebounding the damn ball (me included) this is what we have to live with unless the Heat can get guys that can body up players like Noah, Hibbert, Drummond, David West etc... 

When you have guys like Battier trying to guard West, it's a recipe for disaster. 

Big Cat was fun. Hands down my third favorite Center in HEAT history. He wouldn't have been able to stop Hibbert by any means, but he'd get his moneys worth on the fouls. But yeah, you're right. There's just not much if anything Miami can do with Hibbert other than hope to get him in early foul trouble, which is pretty unlikely with the whole verticality rule or whatever it is. 

There is something Miami can do about limiting Hibbert's productivity: Get a big body to use against him. Perhaps such a body is that of Greg Oden, or perhaps it will be acquired at a later point in the season.

But one thing is certain. Hibbert's size advantage against Miami is too overwhelming to be ignored. Hibbert puts up numbers on Miami that he does not replicate against any other contending team in the league.

With that said, my opinion of Miami's prospects is the same as it was last season. I believe that the Heat will reach the Finals even without a legitimate center at its disposal, but the challenge will be made far more difficult by failing to address the issue.

If you recall, Chris Bosh was so physically depleted after the ECF's that he was ineffectual against the Spurs in the Finals. Bosh faces far too big of a size disparity against Hibbert for that matchup to work out successfully for him, especially on the defensive end.

Watch more basketball. Oden is a completely different animal.

1 person likes this

If you recall, Chris Bosh was so physically depleted after the ECF's that he was ineffectual against the Spurs in the Finals. Bosh faces far too big of a size disparity against Hibbert for that matchup to work out successfully for him, especially on the defensive end.

He was hurt pretty bad for the ECF and Finals. Had a sprained ankle in the Bulls series and tweaked it again on the opening tip of Game 1 against the Pacers. Was not good.

• Similar Content

• By Maroko
      Greg Oden’s status is a giant mystery

Erik Spoelstra tiptoed around the latest questions about center Greg Oden before Monday’s game against the Jazz, but the Heat’s coach did at least indicate that Oden is still in the team’s long-term plans for the season.

The Heat plays the Indiana Pacers on Wednesday night in the biggest home game of the first two months of the season, and the topic of Oden and his playing status (or lack thereof) will once again be a point of discussion.

Last week, Oden watched from the bench in Indianapolis as Pacers center Roy Hibbertdominated the paint both offensively and defensively. After the game, Hibbert said he was looking forward to Oden joining the rivalry.

But exactly when Oden will begin playing games for the Heat remains a mystery. He made an appearance in the preseason but hasn’t suited up for a regular-season game. Oden, who was in street clothes against the Jazz, has been inactive for the first 24 games of the season.

As a follow up to a question about his rotations, Spoelstra was asked about how to efficiently incorporate Oden into the Heat’s system once he is ready to play.

“We’ll get to that when we get to that,” Spoelstra said. “It will be no different than when we had to incorporate Michael [ Beasley], when we’ve had to incorporate Shane [ Battier]. We incorporated Norris [ Cole]. When we get to that point, we’ll deal with it the way we always do.”

Spoelstra was then asked whether he thought adding Oden midstream would be the biggest challenge of the season.

“You can’t ever pinpoint what the biggest challenge will be in an NBA season, really,” Spoelstra said. “They come daily, they come weekly because of the schedule, but they will arrive on your doorstep.”

Oden hasn’t played in regular-season game in more than four years.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/12/17/3822962/greg-odens-status-is-a-giant-mystery.html#storylink=cpy  
      source : Miami herald

• By Maroko
      i did some research about Greg Oden and Roy Hibbert :

Well they only faced each other once LOL

It was the 18th march in 2009 in Indianapolis (Greg Oden's hometown)

Roy Hibbert (starting center) : In 30mn, he had 14 points (6/12 and 2/3 FT)  , 4 rebounds, 2 blocks and 5 fouls Greg Oden (backup center) : In 12 mn, he got 4 points (1/3 and 2/2 FT) , 7 rebounds, 1 block and 2 fouls   

One action : 

Roy Hibbert shooting foul (Greg Oden draws the foul) - Then Greg made the 2 FT (good point)

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=290318011

So look how bigger has become Hibbert (Steroids)

while Greg Oden

Remember

Roy Hibbert : 7.2 and 290

Greg Oden : 7.0 and 273  

what do you think guys ? Do you think Greg Oden can lock Roy Hibbert ? Will his knees manage to support him and Roy ? Tough question

Your thoughts :