Majestic

Will Dion Waiters Become The Heat's Next Superstar?

486 posts in this topic

Here's a thread to discuss whether this cat is going to stick with the Heat and fulfill his ultimate potential.

Or, will he just play out the season and opt out and head for greener pastures...aka sign the biggest contract offer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Genius!  Why didn't I think of this? lol

I believe he will pan out to be a star for the Miami Heat.  I don't want to jinx his success by predicting how good he'll be, but I think it's easy to see that he has the tools to be really good.  I also believe he enjoys playing in Miami.  I know he loves the freedom that Spo gives him to play with, and he's comfortable in his role with the team.  I think if the Heat continue to show the ability to compete at a high level consistently, it will be hard for him to just walk away.  I hope he does enough to impress Mickey tho, we know he'll cut the check to keep a guy he likes around.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I could say otherwise but I have very little faith in Waiters.  Its not unheard of for a player to undergo a mid-career transformation but for the most part after 4 years you know what you're going to get.  Hes going to take a lot of bad shots and on nights when the jumper is falling he'll look good.  When its not he doesn't do enough to have a positive impact on the floor.

I do think hes perfectly capable of being a decent defender but we're not likely to see that anytime soon.  And as far as him being a facilitator.....just don't think that's in his DNA.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Ira Winderman:

Q: I get the flash-in-the-pan skepticism about Dion Waiters, and you can throw in Goran Dragic, Luke Babbitt, James Johnson and Wayne Ellington's recent successes. But I also recall Birdman and the Heat's success with reclamation projects like him. Could it be the teaching reputation of the Heat staff is beginning to sink in? If we see more successes from our "one-year rentals" it might be too soon to trade them with the trade deadline only weeks away. I say let this season play out and see if the recent growth of our veterans along with their professed desire to stay ("we found a home") comments might yield a long-term value. What say you? -- Jack, Fort Myers.

A: I say I also recall a similar atmosphere last season with Joe Johnson, with the Heat and Johnson talking about extending the commitment. And then, at the start of free agency, Johnson was gone. The difference with Johnson is the Heat had no option to turn Johnson into something tangible. That is something the Heat will be able to do at the trading deadline, replenish the type of future draft choices that have been dealt away. So, as with the response above, it comes down to whether you are willing to move forward with mostly the same group. Because the Heat's free agents will want to get paid, because that's what free agents do. And in this salary-cap economy, players will be paid this summer. Now, if the Heat had held team options with Waiters, Ellington or James Johnson, it would be a different story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no. Waiters is just on a hot streak, it will die down eventually in the next couple of games and we will be saying i told ya so. Hes auditioning for his next team. just like joe johnson did. and we are positioning ourselves to move on with Monk/Smith or whoever we get. Am i rooting for him ? sure, if this is him turning the corner and cementing himself as the nbas next all star player im all for it. but i just dont see it, but that dont mean im not rooting for him either. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Majestic said:

From Ira Winderman

A: I say I also recall a similar atmosphere last season with Joe Johnson, with the Heat and Johnson talking about extending the commitment. And then, at the start of free agency, Johnson was gone. The difference with Johnson is the Heat had no option to turn Johnson into something tangible. That is something the Heat will be able to do at the trading deadline, replenish the type of future draft choices that have been dealt away. So, as with the response above, it comes down to whether you are willing to move forward with mostly the same group. Because the Heat's free agents will want to get paid, because that's what free agents do. And in this salary-cap economy, players will be paid this summer. Now, if the Heat had held team options with Waiters, Ellington or James Johnson, it would be a different story.

 

Joe Johnson has been known to chase that paper though, I think loyalty will come into play with Waiters.  He'll appreciate Miami taking a chance on him, and helping make him a better player.  At least that's how I see it possibly working out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TRIPLEA2TOOTSIES said:

Joe Johnson has been known to chase that paper though, I think loyalty will come into play with Waiters.  He'll appreciate Miami taking a chance on him, and helping make him a better player.  At least that's how I see it possibly working out.

 

If he finishes the season with the Heat and continues to play above his career numbers, I think he'll take the biggest contract offered, ala Luol Deng.

Won't blame him either. Could be the Heat that offers him a big contract, but at this point I don't see that happening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Majestic said:

 

If he finishes the season with the Heat and continues to play above his career numbers, I think he'll take the biggest contract offered, ala Luol Deng.

Won't blame him either. Could be the Heat that offers him a big contract, but at this point I don't see that happening. 

 

I couldn't blame him for going with the highest bidder either.  Like I said, maybe he ends up endearing himself to Mickey so much that he becomes untouchable lol.  Who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to predict the future. I am just glad we have a player that I look forward to seeing play and I believe he has the talent to become a special kind of player for our team.  Is he staying? Who knows? But if he keeps this type of playing level up, I am sure Riley won't let him walk away that easy.  So the best thing is to enjoy the season and then worry about all those "IF's" we don't control.  Riley always has a vision and trades are never out of the question.  Just my 2 cents.    

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MadD said:

I believe he has the talent to become a special kind of player for our team. 

 

Does he have the head though. He's not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer. 

He seems to have bought into the Heat culture though, I'll give him that so far.

Not sure if he's the kinda guy Riley is going to go all in on until all other avenues have been gone down.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly could be a star.He never got a chance to be a full time starter until now, with the exception of his rookie year.That year he did good for a rookie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Majestic said:

 

Does he have the head though. He's not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer. 

He seems to have bought into the Heat culture though, I'll give him that so far.

Not sure if he's the kinda guy Riley is going to go all in on until all other avenues have been gone down.

Good question, that is always a legit concern.  Specially when it comes to cocky players.  Not sure if I can fully trust him on that regard just yet. But so far, so good.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*Remembers when only me and a handful of others were riding for dion prior to the season*

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are people buying into this? Seriously? I'm just lost for words for the amount of people who's buying into Waiters and starting to think this team is actually good. Like come on guys. Don't let nothing wins cloud your judgement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Majestic said:

Here's a thread to discuss whether this cat is going to stick with the Heat and fulfill his ultimate potential.

Or, will he just play out the season and opt out and head for greener pastures...aka sign the biggest contract offer. 

 

-he will- just play out the season and opt out and *Miami will* head for greener pastures.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, number21 said:

Why are people buying into this? Seriously? I'm just lost for words for the amount of people who's buying into Waiters and starting to think this team is actually good. Like come on guys. Don't let nothing wins cloud your judgement.

Waiters is for real.He is finally given a chance to be a full time starter with no restrictions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dion's numbers in his last six games...23 ppg, 52% FG, 60% 3 PT, 4.3 rpg.

giphy.gif

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can easily compare Waiters career so far to Chauncey Billups and Steve Nash.Nash was a bench guy that sucked his first 4 seasons.He got slightly better his 3rd and 4th season, But finally become a full time starter his 5th season and become a star.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything, every contribution is more than appreciated at this point,..........................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Retro_Marlins25 said:

You can easily compare Waiters career so far to Chauncey Billups and Steve Nash.Nash was a bench guy that sucked his first 4 seasons.He got slightly better his 3rd and 4th season, But finally become a full time starter his 5th season and become a star.

 

Good point.  People forget NOBODY wanted Billups until he finally was able to find a home in Detroit, and later became a finals MVP.  Sometimes it's all about finding that perfect fit.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, #1draftppick said:

*Remembers when only me and a handful of others were riding for dion prior to the season*

HSqg4OG.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now