Wadeflash06

2017 NBA Playoffs

417 posts in this topic

Damn, Bucks.  Giannis was suppose to take a three.  He's gotta add that to his game next season.  35% and he'll be in the MVP discussion next year.

Vince Carter playing meaningful minutes at his age is remarkable!

Edit:  Ditto for Ginobli.

Raptors gonna win 1, 2, or get swept?

Cavs 3-0 this season with James in uniform versus Raptors, and 0-1 when the Cavs Big 3 sat it out.

The 3 wins for the Cavs all came around 6 months ago or longer, and the one win the Raptors got came on the last day of the regular season... So the regular season results may be meaningless.

What's gonna happen? Who's gonna step up for the Raptors? Will Deron Williams and Channing Frye continue to lead the Cavs in win shares? Who fares better guarding Bron? DeMarre Carrol or PJ Tucker? Will Norman Powell torch the Cavs like he did the Bucks? Which All-Star PG gets the job done? Who averages more PPG between DeRozan and James? The questions are endless. But will it be a good series? 

2 hours ago, DWarner4 said:

Cavs 3-0 this season with James in uniform versus Raptors, and 0-1 when the Cavs Big 3 sat it out.

The 3 wins for the Cavs all came around 6 months ago or longer, and the one win the Raptors got came on the last day of the regular season... So the regular season results may be meaningless.

What's gonna happen? Who's gonna step up for the Raptors? Will Deron Williams and Channing Frye continue to lead the Cavs in win shares? Who fares better guarding Bron? DeMarre Carrol or PJ Tucker? Will Norman Powell torch the Cavs like he did the Bucks? Which All-Star PG gets the job done? Who averages more PPG between DeRozan and James? The questions are endless. But will it be a good series? 

You got to give the Raptors credit. They've battled through a ton of adversity throughout the playoffs during the past several seasons. They continue to prove the critics wrong, including myself.

That being said, I don't see this series going any different than last year's. Lebron will lead all scorers, Kyrie will outplay Kyle, and the supporting cast of the Cavaliers will prove to be more effective than that of the Raptors. Derozan and Lowry are great players, but they are too inconsistent and the entire team relies too much on low percentage iso-plays for points when the defense begins to tighten up. The addition of Ibaka and PJ will surely help, but it won't be enough to put Toronto over the top, especially when you consider the fact that Cleveland got a bit stronger as well with the additions of Korver and Williams.

Cavs in 6 is my prediction.

2 people like this

9 hours ago, carnageta said:

You got to give the Raptors credit. They've battled through a ton of adversity throughout the playoffs during the past several seasons. They continue to prove the critics wrong, including myself.

That being said, I don't see this series going any different than last year's. Lebron will lead all scorers, Kyrie will outplay Kyle, and the supporting cast of the Cavaliers will prove to be more effective than that of the Raptors. Derozan and Lowry are great players, but they are too inconsistent and the entire team relies too much on low percentage iso-plays for points when the defense begins to tighten up. The addition of Ibaka and PJ will surely help, but it won't be enough to put Toronto over the top, especially when you consider the fact that Cleveland got a bit stronger as well with the additions of Korver and Williams.

I have a lot of respect for the Raptors entire organization.  I'm a big fan of coach Casey and his demeanor. And Masai Ujiri, who is one of a handful of Brothers in as prestigious of a role as he is within the NBA overall, is another admirable individual whom the Raptors have done a nice job identifying, so I have nothing but respect for their organization.

On the basketball court they've been impressive as well. Nobody knew it but they, not the Warriors, were the #1 ranked offense league wide through the first half of the regular season. That's even more impressive when they're not a prolific 3pt shooting team, and they tend to isolate more than any other team league wide.

For me, the problem with the matchup for them is that they have weaknesses in areas the Cavs will likely exploit and their strengths should be mitigated by the Cavs tendencies.

Toronto gets to the stripe better than all other 29 teams, but only 3 teams foul less than the Cavs.

The Raptors are strong at causing turnovers, but the Cavs aren't particularly turnover prone.

And the stats for the Raptors have come against what computers are calling the #30 strength of schedule in the league...

Those strengths are undermined by the fact that Toronto is dead last in assists indicating their ball movement is stagnant. Cavs are susceptible to great passing teams...

The biggest thing that will hurt them IMO is the fact they don't shoot threes enough. The Cavs shoot better from 2pt range and the 3point area, but they attempt 10 more threes per game than Toronto. At nearly 40% efficiency, that means that Toronto will have to make up for 10-12 points from behind the arc if the Cavs are even average. That's quite a gap...

And we always hear that teams need to try to speed the Cavs up because they're the oldest team in the league. The Raptors are comfortable playing in the half court and at 24th in pace, aren't really a team that will "outrun" the Cavs.

So aside from the fact that these teams had identical records at 51-31, the team makeup couldn't be further from one another. The only two opponents who are quite similar to eachother in style of play is Valancunas and Tristan Thompson and they'll likely play to a draw. Carroll and Tucker won't challenge Bron on both ends and he should be able to roam defensively with help when Demar and Kyle go into one on one mode like they do.

So I'm kinda having a hard time seeing how Toronto is going to earn a win if the Cavs don't just lay an egg. I can see them being out shot and outplayed once, but that's about it. 4-1...

9 hours ago, carnageta said:

I was thinking the same thing last night as I watched them close out the team I picked to upset them.  Gotta give them all the credit in the world.  They took the role of underdog away from Bucks, adopted their own underdog mentality, and were able to rally against a team that they are actually better than lol...(where they do that at?)  As for how they'll fare against the Cavs...DeRozan and Lowry are still 2 of the worst Playoffs performers of all time (statistically speaking) and the Cavs seem to be firing on all cylinders.  How the Raptors defend the 3 ball will be important. 

Give me Cavs in 5.

I just saw the news that Larry's stepping down. The Pacers now have hope as a franchise. What he did for much of his tenure was spectacular and it was admirable to watch the Pacers rebuild and reload without tanking, but he completely fell off the ledger over the last few years. I get the feeling that Paul George will be in Green and White next season.

16 hours ago, DWarner4 said:

The Raptors took 2 away from Cleveland with, in my opinion, a significantly worse roster. I'd be surprised if they were swept. I'm wondering if TOR will start their small line up with Ibaka at the five and insert Tucker into the starting lineup. I don't think that LeBron will manhandle Tucker in the post, which well be helpful since they want to have overload the strongside and get annihilated by skip pass after skip pass. But as you said his shooting is a problem and the floor will be shrunk in a similar manner to one we saw in the Bucks series.  I  also believe that JV is going to be an acute predicatment for TOR in this series. Their best lineup is with Ibaka at the 5, but can you play JV against the Cavs small ball nemcj  lineups of Frye and Love? I don't think so, so TOR is in a predicament where they may have to bench him entirely and start small, along  withplaying  Patterson as the back center. I have no idea if they can alienate a player, whom many consider to be their 4th best, and how that will play out in the lockeroom. So that will be an interesting story line to follow.  like the versatility of this Raptors roster... they have the wings to play small ball all game, and when JV isn't on the court mobile bigs that are capable of throwing different PNR coverages against CLE. TOR has the ability to matchup with CLE defensively, but that really might come at the expense of their offense. And I'm just not sure if Derozan or a hobbled Lowry will be good enough for 4/7 times to compensate for the lack of weapons that will be on the court for TOR

I thought TOR was going to beat MIL in 7, but after game 3 I looked like the Bucks may have been the better team, so I was impressed to see TOR rebound  as well as they did.  Ultimately LeBron will be too much to handle, but this won't be what Hawks Cavs was last year.

54 minutes ago, Majestic said:

He's been holding his own against one of the best PG's in the league.  Meanwhile, Teague and the Pacers are Gone Fishin'.  So yeah, I'd say the Hawks made the right move.  He plays with the same kind of irrational confidence that Dion plays with. 

The three remaining 1st round series could end tonight...Wiz and Celtics will have to do it on the road and the Jazz can do it on their home floor.