TRIPLEA2TOOTSIES

2017 Miami Heat Offseason Thread

TRIPLEA2TOOTSIES    1,542

With the season now officially in the books, lets talk about some things we can do to get better next season.

There's plenty of options on the table right now.  Right now, trading up in the draft is one of the sexiest ideas to me.  That of course begs the question...who would go?  I think Winslow is the most enticing piece we have, but we could be able to find a buyer for Dragic.

I know Hassan has had moments this season that make you want to trade him, but I don't know if I'm ready to move on from him.  (unless Minnesota comes calling offering up Towns or The Grizz wanna give us Gasol)

As far as FA signings, I love Gordon Hayward just like everyone else, but Danilo Gallinari seems like more of a realistic option, and a more natural fit at the stretch 4 spot. 

I'm still also in favor of taking a look at Melo.  Say what you want...it makes sense if you take time and consider what the Heat could turn a talent like Melo into (even at his age, Melo is still one of the best scorers in the league.  A bona fide go to closer, and a player who's hungry to win.  Miami would be the perfect change of scenery for Melo...a man of the people.  Blake Griffin is cool too I suppose.

At any rate, we have options.  Personally not making the playoffs hasn't been as devastating as I anticipated...I'm excited about what the future holds....

Our offseason has officially begun, HeatNation!  Let's get better!

Wadeflash06    1,162

The best bet if they want to  maintain  future cap space is to overpay JJ/Waiters on 1 year deals to entice them to stay and pass on longer term deals They should 100 percent stay away from Melo.

• Like 3

Team Ball    181
14 minutes ago, TRIPLEA2TOOTSIES said:

With the season now officially in the books, lets talk about some things we can do to get better next season.

There's plenty of options on the table right now.  Right now, trading up in the draft is one of the sexiest ideas to me.  That of course begs the question...who would go?  I think Winslow is the most enticing piece we have, but we could be able to find a buyer for Dragic.

I know Hassan has had moments this season that make you want to trade him, but I don't know if I'm ready to move on from him.  (unless Minnesota comes calling offering up Towns or The Grizz wanna give us Gasol)

As far as FA signings, I love Gordon Hayward just like everyone else, but Danilo Gallinari seems like more of a realistic option, and a more natural fit at the stretch 4 spot. 

I'm still also in favor of taking a look at Melo.  Say what you want...it makes sense if you take time and consider what the Heat could turn a talent like Melo into (even at his age, Melo is still one of the best scorers in the league.  A bona fide go to closer, and a player who's hungry to win.  Miami would be the perfect change of scenery for Melo...a man of the people.  Blake Griffin is cool too I suppose.

At any rate, we have options.  Personally not making the playoffs hasn't been as devastating as I anticipated...I'm excited about what the future holds....

Our offseason has officially begun, HeatNation!  Let's get better!

Winslow goes.  For a higher pick.

You do realize Dragic was injured late in the season right?

Riley signs Dion, JJ (lol at short term deals) and nice pieces.  There are no other options.  No money is available.

This will be a boring off season but next year won't be..

Heat win East regular season.  

Continuation of second half of this year.

• Like 1

MaxHeat69    450

Well, our Goran Dragic may enter an age, in which we have to ask ourselves, how long can he keep himself as prime as possible. It wold be great if he can dominate 2-3 more years similar to this year, but he doesn't get any younger anymore.... just an open thought....... But who knows, maybe our Dragon can pull off a Manu Ginobili and play effective for another 6-7 years,.........................................

Another issue here,............ what "XTREME CONDITIONS" would it take to be able to be able resign both Dion Waiters and James Johnson for a fairly lucrative offer???........ Trading "MY PRECIOUS" (in XXXTREME scenarios), or in other words go back to similar small ball type of style (like Big 3 era without a TRUE center, only with Dion and James Johnson)?????? 

Don't get me wrong, just a temporary panic attack...... I don't want MY PRECIOUS to go anywhere,....... it's just only IF,...... we have no other choice, regarding the matter above................................................ 

propheticWrit    459

It'll be an interesting offseason but I wouldn't bet on any major changes.  I'm sure Riley will make a run at Hayward but I can't see why he'd want to come to Miami over Boston or Utah.  In order to make room for him the Heat would have to let go JJ and Waiters and I can't see him signing up to play with just Whiteside/Dragic/TJ/Winslow.

How Riley approaches the Waiters/JJ negotiations will give a lot of insight into what he thought of this second half run and if it was real or not.  I think he'll end up giving this core group a shot over the next couple seasons, hoping the addition of an improved Winslow and JRich can add enough to make them a real threat.

Not going anywhere:

Dragic

Whiteside

TJ

Winslow

JRich

McGruder

White

Willie Reed will probably find better money on the open market and I'd guess that he'll end up taking it.  Babbitt as well.

McRoberts either gets bought out with the stretch provision if they need the space or they hold onto him and buy him out next season assuming hes injured again.

JJ gets offered 3 yrs 30 mil.....see if he takes it.

Waiters gets offered 4 yrs 60 mil.....my guess is that he bets big on himself again after failing to get a max deal and ends up with a 2 yr deal with a second season opt out.  I'm not sure if its with the Heat though.

svelte jj    192

james johnson is

2 minutes ago, propheticWrit said:

JJ gets offered 3 yrs 30 mil.....see if he takes it.

james johnson is worth demarre carroll money.

The Dawg    19
1 hour ago, GoneIn60Seconds said:

james johnson is

james johnson is worth demarre carroll money.

Demarre Carroll isn't worth Demarre Carroll money.

MadD    947

I am not going to be assuming anything because Riley has never been a predictable guy, but I am willing to bet Riley will do everything to keep Waiters and JJ in a Heat uniform long term.  

• Like 1

Majestic    8,278

Every year there are Melo to Miami rumors...people for some reason just love the idea. Makes me sick just thinking about it.

• Like 2

Majestic    8,278

A 33 year old ISO heavy player well past his prime has no business being on a team orientated basketball team like the Miami Heat.

PASS!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Majestic said:

A 33 year old ISO heavy player well past his prime has no business being on a team orientated basketball team like the Miami Heat.

PASS!

He would obviously have to make changes into his game and buy into a different type of role, but if he really wants a chance at winning, he could do that with this team.

I mean just imagine a Carmelo  Anthony that buys into the Heat Culture as our starting PF.  That doesn't intrigue just a little?  Imagine if he pulled a JJ and lost 40 lbs and got into the best shape of his life. 

svelte jj    192
26 minutes ago, Majestic said:

PASS!

same thing was said about waiters.

miami will need a guy like him especially if they fail to resign waiters. but much better if we can keep dion and get him.

he's a great ISO player, but he can play team ball if you look at his multiple stints with TEAM USA. he's the prototype player for international basketball. can handle, postup, rebound, shoot from outside, pass.

so he's approaching 33, so he knows he cant do everything anymore. but i dont mind him taking the last shot in an ISO play if the game is close.

• Like 1

Majestic    8,278
28 minutes ago, TRIPLEA2TOOTSIES said:

He would obviously have to make changes into his game and buy into a different type of role, but if he really wants a chance at winning, he could do that with this team.

I mean just imagine a Carmelo  Anthony that buys into the Heat Culture as our starting PF.  That doesn't intrigue just a little?  Imagine if he pulled a JJ and lost 40 lbs and got into the best shape of his life. 

You're such a dreamer Toots...no way Melo could pull off what JJ did this past season. He doesn't have the discipline.

Anthony expects to be treated like a Hall of Famer, expects to be paid max money, expects to get and shoot the ball more than anyone else, expects to be doted over by the fans, the coaches, the players and the organization. Yeah he wants to win, but his way. No way he genuflects to Erik Spoelstra's way of doing things. I'm sure he believes he knows better. I'm sure LeBron has filled his head with all kinds of twisted tales about Spo, Riley and Micky. We'll be better off without him in the long run imo.

• Like 3

Majestic    8,278
16 minutes ago, GoneIn60Seconds said:

same thing was said about waiters.

so he's approaching 33, so he knows he cant do everything anymore. but i dont mind him taking the last shot in an ISO play if the game is close.

Waiters is a completely different animal and A LOT younger.

Melo is approaching his 34th year...he will have completed 33 years of living on his birthday. We start at zero not one. Iol

I hope Riley doesn't buy into Melo's one and done contract and lose a guy like Waiters in the process or JJ for that matter.

8 minutes ago, Majestic said:

You're such a dreamer Toots...no way Melo could pull off what JJ did this past season. He doesn't have the discipline.

Anthony expects to be treated like a Hall of Famer, expects to be paid max money, expects to get and shoot the ball more than anyone else, expects to be doted over by the fans, the coaches, the players and the organization. Yeah he wants to win, but his way. No way he genuflects to Eric Spoelstra's way of doing things. I'm sure he believes he knows better. I'm sure LeBron has filled his head with all kinds of twisted tales about Spo, Riley and Micky. We'll be better off without him in the long run imo.

Image result for thanks man gif

Lol I know you probably didn't mean it as a compliment.  But seriously, I was dreamin' when I said I thought Waiters would be a key part to our success when we signed him.  I guess I was dreamin' when I said before the season that this team would compete for a playoff spot.  You have to have an open mind. 

How can you say that there's "no way" Melo could do what JJ did.  I love JJ, but lets take him off the pedestal for just a minute.  He was a straight up journeyman before Miami and Coach Spo got a hold of him.  All of the assumptions you have are not really relevant.  The facts are that he's a perennial all-star, and top 30 player in this league. 

It's risky, don't get me wrong.  And it probably doesn't happen anyway, but to just dismiss it because of speculation, assumptions, is a little irresponsible.  And to say he doesn't have the commitment or discipline isn't fair in my opinion.

You're usually more open minded, dude..