Edcanes

With 14th pick in the 2017 draft the Miami Heat select....

Recommended Posts

I didn't see us drafting Bam. At that point I felt there was better value available and I personally would have looked elsewhere, but at the same time I can see why we picked him. There's potential there as the backup C and we might even be able to put him and Whiteside on the court at the same time.

I'd say it's a grade "C" pick at this time with potential to be upgraded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Riley would have gone for Jackson, but I know I'm biased to most anything Carolina blue.

As far as big men go I can see why Adebayo rated above the likes of the more skilled big men still available.  These days its really tough to put a elite defense on the floor without a big man that can switch out on the perimeter.  If he can gain the coaches trust I can see him getting immediate court time at center when Whiteside struggles with the matchup.  Who knows what he'll be on the offensive end.  The jumper looks good but I'm sure hes at least a year away from being a real threat.

Its a disappointing draft only because of how tantalizingly close Mitchell and Monk were.  I'm thrilled Riley didn't go for someone like Patton or Collins though.  I loved watching them both play and hopefully they'll carve out a niche for themselves as pros but the league is no place for plodding big men anymore.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JustiseForHeat20 said:

 

there was red flags with collins medically. thats why the heat chose Bam instead. He was the healthiest and safest pick out of the three, giles, collins, and bam..... afte the guards were taken the heat wanted, monk, kennard, mitchell.... they elected to take a big after that.

And Patton??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for those that are upset about the pick of Bam and not Giles....... outside of his medical file being a giant red flag.... please note that he cancelled his workout for the Heat.  that's a move you just don't do in general, let alone to the Godfather Pat Riley.  so he sealed his own fate in regards to Miami drafting him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TomOsborn3 said:

How the hell could we not buy a 2nd rounder?

Ivan Rabb
Dwayne Bacon
Isaiah Hartenstein
Ike Anigbogu and
Sindarius Thornwell.

All decent, high upside players who we could have got in the second round.

 

Yeah I was a little surprised when didn't use that money as well.  I'm a little foggy on the details but from what I understand about the opportunity to buy a pick, the money expires anyway.

Guess we shouldn't be too shocked, this is Miami after all...not normally known to break the piggy bank so-to-speak. 

I think this is another indication tho that Miami likes who they have, and are only interested in landing a name FA and bringing back our own FA's.  Riley wasn't foolin'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's few GM that want to trade with Pat Riley and The Heat. In those inner circles it's about relationships. So if your boy is offering the same as the Heat ... well you know the answer It just did not make any sense with two way contracts not to get in on the second round in a very deep draft. Especially with what your offering expires on June 30 and you don't have any assets in some of this trades so go and get cheap assets. 🤷‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Edcanes said:

I think it's few GM that want to trade with Pat Riley and The Heat. In those inner circles it's about relationships. So if your boy is offering the same as the Heat ... well you know the answer It just did not make any sense with two way contracts not to get in on the second round in a very deep draft. Especially with what your offering expires on June 30 and you don't have any assets in some of this trades so go and get cheap assets. 🤷‍♂️

 

Unless you see that a lot a guys won't get drafted that are just as good or really close to those 2nd round picks. Lots of good undrafted free agents.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Expert327 said:

 

Unless you see that a lot a guys won't get drafted that are just as good or really close to those 2nd round picks. Lots of good undrafted free agents.

This guy is just an example of a second round pick who is better than any undrafted free agent you could have bought into 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, svelte jj said:

nets just signed jake wiley on a 2 way contract.

 

Told you he would go undrafted...poor guy has to deal with the Nets Org. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Majestic said:

 

Told you he would go undrafted...poor guy has to deal with the Nets Org. 

he chose the wrong team. but beggars cant be choosers i guess.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

celtics fans wondering why they cant land a superstar?? this is why....

Ainge wants to fleece every team he comes across, if he cant fleece ya he walks. Thats what he did to the nets. guess it didnt work for him this time. hate the celtics.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gave up too much? If anything the Bulls overpay. Dunn is a bum, Levine injured and then u have the audacity of trading ur own pick to Minnesota. bulls should have hold on to their own pick or ask for a future. Then they traded Jordan bell for cash. I would hate to be a bull fan

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hoping one days we look back at this draft and thank the utah Jazz for taking Mitchell from us. because it got us Bam adebayo Instead.  Sometimes thats how things workout... if people remember, alot think the heat wanted Bosh in the 03 draft, but then wade fell to us after bosh was taken before us. De Ja VU!   no comparisons, but i do think Bam is going to be a special player for us for years to come. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, JustiseForHeat20 said:

hoping one days we look back at this draft and thank the utah Jazz for taking Mitchell from us. because it got us Bam adebayo Instead.  Sometimes thats how things workout... if people remember, alot think the heat wanted Bosh in the 03 draft, but then wade fell to us after bosh was taken before us. De Ja VU!   no comparisons, but i do think Bam is going to be a special player for us for years to come. 

 

I am starting to feel like that way lately.  There are plenty of Mitchell's in the NBA, but very rare to find a player like Bam, think about it.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now