#1draftppick

Winslow Playing For His Financial Life

#1draftppick    2,236

gettyimages-629860788.jpg

Justise Winslow, and Josh Richardson, got tidy presents with the new CBA. Per Ira Winderman:

For Winslow, a $400,000 boost next season and then a $1.1 million boost if the Heat choose to exercise their rookie-scale option on his 2018-19 salary.

"Oh, yeah, I knew about that," Winslow said with a smile, ...but don't tell anybody.”

"I mean, it's great. I mean, I'm doing the same amount of work and I'm getting a raise pretty much is how I look at it."

For Winslow his salary goes from $2.7 million this season to $3.4 million in 2018-19, and $4.7 million in 2019-20. Tim Bontemps explains the revised contracts as follows :

The 2017-18 season, all players under a rookie scale contract from the past three drafts (2014, 2015 and 2016) will see their salary increase for that season by 15 percent.

In 2018-19, players still under rookie deals from the 2015 and 2016 drafts will see their salaries increase for that season by 30 percent.

Finally, in the 2019-20 season, players in the fourth and final year of their rookie contracts will see their salary that season increase by 45 percent.

Should the Miami Heat choose to make Winslow a Designated Rookie, his salary would skyrocket according to Larry Coon in cbafaq.com:

The Designated Rookie rule allows teams to sign players finishing their rookie scale contracts to longer extensions, but does not provide for the higher maximum salary (up to 30% of the cap).

In fact, there are no performance criteria the player must meet to qualify for the Designated Rookie rule -- he just needs to be designated by his team to receive a longer extension.

However, a Designated Rookie must receive at least 25% of the cap.

Should the Heat sign Winslow to a 5 year/25% Designated Rookie extension, his salary would jump from $5 million to $25 million for one year to the next. Bottom line, Justise has a life-altering financial stake in raising his level of performance this season and the next.

I left some things out but you can read the rest here 

https://www.hothothoops.com/2017/7/15/15967486/justise-winslow-miami-heat-designated-rookie-cba-josh-richardson-phoenix-suns-devin-booker-salaries

Majestic    8,278
3 minutes ago, JustiseForHeat20 said:

ya, no more excuses for winslow. 3rd year in, time to show the fans something alrdy.

Played less than a quarter of the season last year and good portion of that he played hurt...this is essentially his 2nd year. 

#1draftppick    2,236
22 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Played less than a quarter of the season last year and good portion of that he played hurt...this is essentially his 2nd year. 

Lol nah man

• Like 2

Majestic    8,278
9 hours ago, #1draftppick said:

Lol nah man

18 games, 8 of them playing hurt = Full season. 👍

• Like 1

MaxHeat69    450

In anyways...................... He still has a chance,...................................

Majestic    8,278
20 minutes ago, MaxHeat69 said:

In anyways. He still has a chance

lol...Yeah, I would say so.

• Like 1

#1draftppick    2,236
14 hours ago, Majestic said:

18 games, 8 of them playing hurt = Full season. 👍

You probably the guy that said Julius randle was a rookie in his 2nd year because he missed 81 games. When youre still on the bench, working out behind the scenes, and learning from the staff that counts. 

Stop coddling that man 

It's gonna be year 4 and you gonna be like hes only *insert age* and he missed alot of games. Let's be patient with him even though a #10 pick shouldnt be a project that takes 4-5 years to become decent

• Like 2

MadD    947
1 hour ago, #1draftppick said:

You probably the guy that said Julius randle was a rookie in his 2nd year because he missed 81 games. When youre still on the bench, working out behind the scenes, and learning from the staff that counts. 

Stop coddling that man 

It's gonna be year 4 and you gonna be like here's only *insert age* and he missed alot of games. Let's be patient with him even though a #10 pick shouldnt be a project that takes 4-5 years to become decent

We need to see improvement from Winslow offensively this season. No doubt. If he becomes a liability offensively and disrupts the flow of our offense and we strugglers get wins because of it, then he needs to go. But if we see improvement and he can help us win, then we'll be a scary team. I am rooting hard for him! 

• Like 1

JustiseForHeat20    1,631
2 hours ago, MadD said:

We need to see improvement from Winslow offensively this season. No doubt. If he becomes a liability offensively and disrupts the flow of our offense and we strugglers get wins because of it, then he needs to go. But if we see improvement and he can help us win, then we'll be a scary team. I am rooting hard for him! 

agreed, i mean its not like were asking to be an all star or something, we just wanna see him show improvement for a change. Look at rodney mcgruder, has shown consistent improvement since the heat have given him an opportunity... i think its fair to expect him to atleast have some decent averages and show steady improvement. He had a few good games, so hes capable.... just has to want it... i do agree hes been coddled too much, its time to push him and stay on him. hes not a rookie anymore.

• Like 1

MadD    947
3 minutes ago, JustiseForHeat20 said:

agreed, i mean its not like were asking to be an all star or something, we just wanna see him show improvement for a change. Look at rodney mcgruder, has shown consistent improvement since the heat have given him an opportunity... i think its fair to expect him to atleast have some decent averages and show steady improvement. He had a few good games, so hes capable.... just has to want it... i do agree hes been coddled too much, its time to push him and stay on him. hes not a rookie anymore.

Agreed. He needs to earn his stripes and playing just good defense is not enough in today's NBA. I have faith that he will step up to the plate, but we'll see. 

Majestic    8,278
6 hours ago, #1draftppick said:

Stop coddling that man 

It's gonna be year 4 and you gonna be like hes only *insert age* and he missed alot of games. Let's be patient with him even though a #10 pick shouldnt be a project that takes 4-5 years to become decent

I've never said anything about Julius Randle...ever! Why do you insist on putting words into my mouth. smh

It's not the 4th year though...he's only played 1 year plus 18 games and 8 of those games he played hurt...a wrist injury on his shooting hand! I'm not "coddling" Winslow...LMAO! Where do you come up with this nonsense. Just pointing out reality. This Winslow criticism and desire to dump him after a rookie season where he played great except for his outside shooting is pathetic. Improving his shooting is not going to come overnight either. It will most likely take at least a year before he can become consistent with that aspect of his game. Ignoring his talent and what he can do really well would be negligent. Fortunately Riley and Spo are professionals who are paying attention and will give Justise the opportunity to work and improve his outside shooting in his 2nd full season in the NBA. Sitting on the bench with your arm in a sling for 80% of the season is not what counts. Playing in games and performing does. Nuff said.

El Fuego    2,934
7 hours ago, #1draftppick said:

Stop coddling that man 

I bet these guys would defend him until he's like 26 years old even if he was a bust lmao. Talking about "he's still a kid". 99% of the time you know what you have within the first 3 years. If this upcoming year is anything like the last 2, we'll know he's going probably be mediocre for the rest of his career and at best a role player. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, El Fuego said:

I bet these guys would defend him until he's like 26 years old even if he was a bust lmao. Talking about "he's still a kid". 99% of the time you know what you have within the first 3 years. If this upcoming year is anything like the last 2, we'll know he's going probably be mediocre for the rest of his career and at best a role player. 

how good do you think he can be?

TRIPLEA2TOOTSIES    1,542

Lmao @ DP lowkey creating a thread to trash Winslow...you ain't slick, bro ;)

Bottom line, the pros outweigh the cons when it comes to Justise.  I mean the shooting is bad...really bad at times, but his playmaking ability, and defensive prowess make him an asset at this point in the game.  We need to be willing to at least give him this season to see if he's able to take his game to the next level.  like JFH20 said, it's not like he has to be an All-Star, but he does need to improve. 

The problem with trading him in my opinion is that if he can't improve within this Heat org with their training and advantages in regard to development, who's gonna want him?  His stock will have fallen at that point.  The league has taken notice that Miami is where you go to get better as a player...won't look good on Winslow if he continues on the path to mediocrity.   That's worst cased scenario I think.  But I firmly believe he's primed to bust out this year.  With all of the expectations surrounding Dion, JJ, Hassan, GoGo, and even The Bam, Winslow is kinda left in the shadows as sort of a dark horse as far as any expectations go.  That being said, if he stinks, fans are gonna be on him, and the trade machines will start buzzing.  To me, it's all on him.  He has the tools, he has a great environment and people around him to help him improve, now it's just time to go and be the player the Heat thought he'd be when they took him 10th overall.  His confidence is key.  I'd start the season with him coming off the bench, and slowly work him into the starting lineup (given there's good enough play from him to warrant it).  With the second unit is where he can go for his offensively, and build his confidence.  Just my 2 cents.

• Like 3

not guna lie, looking at winslow stats last season is pretty depressing.

60% FT shooter, 20% 3pt shooter,  35% FGs.... i mean he actually regressed.... he took 35 Attemptes threes in his 18 gms played and made 7 of them. uhh

MadD    947
15 minutes ago, JustiseForHeat20 said:

not guna lie, looking at winslow stats last season is pretty depressing.

60% FT shooter, 20% 3pt shooter,  35% FGs.... i mean he actually regressed.... he took 35 Attemptes threes in his 18 gms played and made 7 of them. uhh

Unnaceptable numbers. No NBA player should be that inefficient on Offense no matter how good they are on Defense. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt because most of our players started the year struggling and he was also injured. But he must improve those % this coming season. Not in 2 or 3 years. Those horrendous numbers are inexcusable for any NBA player. But like I've been saying, it would be stupid to give up on him so soon. His game screams future star if only he can hit a dam shot consistently and finish strong around the rim. Not to mention his freethrows need to improve as well. I am rooting hard for the kid. He could be that player that makes us a real contender if he breaks out. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MadD said:

Unnaceptable numbers. No NBA player should be that inefficient on Offense no matter how good they are on Defense. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt because most of our players started the year struggling and he was also injured. But he must improve those % this coming season. Not in 2 or 3 years. Those horrendous numbers are inexcusable for any NBA player. But like I've been saying, it would be stupid to give up on him so soon. His game screams future star if only he can hit a dam shot consistently and finish strong around the rim. Not to mention his freethrows need to improve as well. I am rooting hard for the kid. He could be that player that makes us a real contender if he breaks out. 

well the good news is, i dont think it can get much worse then that... so theres only way to go, and thats hopefully  Up..... lol....

• Like 1

#1draftppick    2,236

I think Winslow averages 

10ppg, 5rpg, 4apg 

72% FT, 43% FG, and 31% 3pt

Which is okay role player numbers but ehh who knew in 2015 you might have to wait until maybe 2019 to see him justify being the #10 pick

"Should the Heat sign Winslow to a 5 year/25% Designated Rookie extension, his salary would jump from $5 million to $25 million for one year to the next."

MaxHeat69    450
18 hours ago, Majestic said:

lol...Yeah, I would say so.

I agree with you on following: This specific injury took a way to heavier toll, than we expected, and this will take more time to get back on track in the competitive NBA level,..........................

MoodMuzik    352
19 hours ago, El Fuego said:

We do know what we have in him, barring an injury to his shooting hand and a torn labrum in his right shoulder he's a very good wing defender with a good deal of smarts and athleticism.

He should be a solid player to have as he continues to develop his game. His 3rd year will be much more of a determining factor than his coming off the bench rookie season and his injury riddled 18 game shortened sophomore season.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MadD said:

I am giving him the benefit of the doubt because most of our players started the year struggling and he was also injured. 

Yes this is important to point out.  Not the injury as everyone is aware of that, but just how bad of a team we were to start the season.  All of our guys were pretty brutal.  Talks of trading Dragic picked up steam.  Waiters looked like a guy who reached the peak of his game.  Richardson regressed and looked bad.  TJ didn't seem to elevate his game any.  Whiteside was horrific on the free throw attempts.  Actually, everyone was horrific at free throws.

Then as the season went on, Dragic caught fire from 3-point land, and then managed to start drawing fouls behind the 3 point line.  Waiters turned into our closer and started making much smarter decisions with the ball in his hands.  Whiteside went back to his old free throw form and stopped being a liability at the line.  Babbit remembered how to shoot 3 pointers.  Same with Richardson etc.

I think in his 3rd season now there will be less pressure.  He'll be forcing up less shots and asked to take a smaller role which will be perfect for his development.  You could also see it ate at him that he wasn't a part of the second half excitement, here's hoping it puts a chip on his shoulder this off-season and upcoming season.

• Like 1

MadD    947
1 hour ago, HeatFanSince97 said:

Yes this is important to point out.  Not the injury as everyone is aware of that, but just how bad of a team we were to start the season.  All of our guys were pretty brutal.  Talks of trading Dragic picked up steam.  Waiters looked like a guy who reached the peak of his game.  Richardson regressed and looked bad.  TJ didn't seem to elevate his game any.  Whiteside was horrific on the free throw attempts.  Actually, everyone was horrific at free throws.

Then as the season went on, Dragic caught fire from 3-point land, and then managed to start drawing fouls behind the 3 point line.  Waiters turned into our closer and started making much smarter decisions with the ball in his hands.  Whiteside went back to his old free throw form and stopped being a liability at the line.  Babbit remembered how to shoot 3 pointers.  Same with Richardson etc.

I think in his 3rd season now there will be less pressure.  He'll be forcing up less shots and asked to take a smaller role which will be perfect for his development.  You could also see it ate at him that he wasn't a part of the second half excitement, here's hoping it puts a chip on his shoulder this off-season and upcoming season.

No doubt. He should be able to improve this season one game at a time.  Hopefully our players knowing the system, their roles and the chemistry created helps them get to a better start this coming season.