JustiseForHeat20

2018 Miami Heat Offseason Thread

Just getting this thing rolling a little earlier then usual. Sorry heat fans, this just aint our year. We are outgunned, dont got the talent to match this team. The blazers are gettin swept by the pels in embarrassing fashion, if any team needs a change of direction, its that team. No way will that fanbase ever accept trading lilliard, but CJ is a possibility i think. That team needs a rework, some defense + an enforce downlow to pair with damian could build themselves a winner.

we move on from Hassan , he gets his featured role, and we get back an Elite Guard that this team really needs.

Thoughts? 

supertrade.jpg

Great trade. Move dion waiters to backup McCollum.

At this point i would trade Whiteside for some potato chips and mountain dew.

9 minutes ago, Fanzeed said:

I would need at least some rocky road ice cream too.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TRIPLEA2TOOTSIES said:

Talk about premature. It ain't over, til it's over!

JFH just wanted to be the OP of the Off-Season thread. He can't wait to blow up this team soon enough. :lol:

I made a slight adjustment to the thread title. Hope you don't mind.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Majestic said:

JFH just wanted to be the OP of the Off-Season thread. He can't wait to blow up this team soon enough. :lol:

I made a slight adjustment to the thread title. Hope you don't mind.

its fine, actually im more of just frustrated more then anything, dont care about being the op of it tbh.... sure we beat them once, but the difference is they killed us twice.  We can preach culture all we want, at the end of the day talent will win. Now, to the trade proposal.... At this point , what other options does portland have? are they really going to be ok with  the disaster that there season has turned into? an embarrassing sweep? you have to move pieces after that, try and retool, get a great defensive wing like Jrich along with a dominant C if your willing to feature him which i think they will. I think hassan is somewhat responsible for the mess we are in , but i also cant deny that this coach has also been part of the problem with creating this combative atmosphere that we have going on with one of our best players. The only way forward is a change of direction. This is one idea, im sure the are many others. 

4 hours ago, TRIPLEA2TOOTSIES said:

Talk about premature.........

Image result for disappointed and disgusted gif

It ain't over, til it's over!

ah , the always great fan that is toots. appreciate ya bro, but its over :P 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Fanzeed said:

Great trade. Move dion waiters to backup McCollum.

Dion role would certainly change with the mccolllum addition.  starting line up would be  goran/mccollum/winslow/James/Bam

bams going to need some time to catch up, but we will be better off with him in the lineup longterm  then staying on this current path of destruction.

I cant imagine the blazers dont make any moves after they get swept, only thing worse then not making the playoffs is gettin swept. embarrassing. especially with all the superstar talent. 

4 minutes ago, JustiseForHeat20 said:

starting line up would be  goran/mccollum/winslow/James/Bam

Small ball du jour. 

Props to winslow, Bam, Jrich... our best hope at a bright future really.

They did what they could. but when your highest paid player plays like a mental midget, theres not much they can do. They kept us ahead, in the game, whiteside is about an unreliable as it gets for a player on a max contract. if we can move him for J.R smith id do it. Get him out of here. That one  time he caught the ball under the rim and didnt dunk it was the nail in the coffin for me. this guy is a big softie. and im sick of watching him in a heat uniform. id rather spend our time developing bam then waste any more time on this player. ship him out here for a bag of doritos.

Jrich, winslow, Bam, certainly have value. wonder where we go from here. good season fellas.

a scoring 3/4 would help. and maybe trade whiteside. Im not sure if Spo has major input in who they go after, but he should try to acquire players who he thinks can succeed in his gameplan. 

31 minutes ago, Takashi said:

a scoring 3/4 would help. and maybe trade whiteside. Im not sure if Spo has major input in who they go after, but he should try to acquire players who he thinks can succeed in his gameplan. 

Everybody is for sale most likely. Probably Bam and Winslow because of cheap contracts stay. If a star player shakes loose and Riley has a shot at him, you can bet he'll do whatever he can to make a deal. I don't think Riley will be saying the same thing he did last year at the end of the season. He's got to be contemplating changes imo.

• Like 1

Whiteside , bam , Winslow for kawhai Leonard .. I know this will hurt a ton , but Leonard would help ease the pain of losing bam , and Winslow . Sorry Whiteside , only reason you are even included is for salary cap purposes .  I also think that something like this can happen with Whiteside not necessarily going to the spurs . Maybe the heat can include a 3rd team , for example the suns . If they are willing to give some picks , those picks can go to the spurs along with bam and Winslow and the suns can acquire a big to pair along booker .  

3 hours ago, Retro_MDR255 said:

Whiteside is only worth about 2 second round picks right now.

And a bag of Doritos. 

9 hours ago, Majestic said:

And so it begins. lol

Thought about the same, old friend,...................

The first question we need to ask ourselves as a team is do we try to reshape this roster, if so how? 

We could decide to get into the Kawhi Leonard sweepstakes. We do have some pieces that might interest the Spurs but it would likely involve giving up a young player like Winslow and Bam as well, and definitely our 2019 first round pick and probably another future first round pick (not sure if we can sell 2020 or 2022, so will the next be 2023?). It's a steep price to pay but potentially worth it if Kawhi commits and stays healthy. 

I'm not sure who else will be available for trades. Charlotte might be willing to move Kemba Walker. Perhaps the Trail Blazers or Wizards might be open to trades, but realistically I don't see a ton of options in the all star bracket that we can acquire without giving a lot up for them. I guess we could target younger players wanting a featured role like Andrew Wiggins or Jabari Parker, but again that could prove costly and might not make us better. 

The other option is to try and dump some salaries in the hope we can free up cap space to get involved in free agency. Again that would likely involve giving up young players and/or draft picks to teams intending to tank next season. The problem with free agency is that the top free agents could shun us again (Chris Paul, Kevin Durant, LeBron James, Paul George, DeMarcus Cousins) the best restricted free agents could see the offers matched, and the other unrestricted free agents aren't exactly going to move the needle. 

So the issue we face in reshaping this roster is that in order to get an upgrade (e.g. Kawhi) we have to give a lot up in order to acquire him. At that point we need to ask ourselves whether it is worth doing such a deal because if we leave ourselves with a weak supporting cast we aren't going to get better. The risk with this approach is that if things go south we could end up in a similar situation to the one that the Nets. They have seen high value draft picks going to other teams (Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum, this year another). 

So the second question is this... if we can't upgrade this roster, do we stick with what we've got and make minor improvements here and there because we are happy to have a winning record and a play off spot, or do we realize we are in that awkward spot that no team wants to be in and blow things up? 

Now in a sense I already know the answer to this question because tanking is not a viable thing for our owner, front office, or coaching staff. It goes against what they preach. They will likely try to make minor improvements and tweak the roster in order to remain competitive, however it is unlikely we are going to be able to make substantial changes to push ourselves into contender status unless we see breakout performances from existing talent. With that said, I do feel it warrants consideration because no team wants to be stuck in mediocrity. We do own our 2019 and 2020 first round draft picks before we have to give up the 2021 pick to Phoenix and own our first round picks after that. I don't know what the 2019 and 2020 draft classes are going to look like, but if there is a time to tank to get two top talents this might be the time to do it. Let's face it if we try to tweak this roster it could mean shipping out future first round picks and that leaves us in a bad situation because if those moves don't work (i.e. land us a title) and we remain stuck in the middle of the pack we are going to regret it a few years down the line when we can't tank because we don't own our picks. Now is the time to value our first round picks unless it gets us a Kawhi Leonard caliber player. 

The second part to this is that our veteran talent could have some appeal to existing play off teams or teams on the brink wanting another piece to get better. It could be difficult to broker some deals because of the numbers but we could take bad contracts (e.g. Washington are paying Ian Mahinmi around $15 million per year, the Lakers are paying Luol Deng big money) as long as they send us a pick or a young talent in return. The 76ers managed to ship off some for their talent when they started the process and took salary dumps in exchange. If we did the same these next two years we could start a rebuild and get some kind of stockpile of picks building up. 

With that said, with the way this roster is constructed and the philosophy that everyone from the top down preaches, I think blowing it up and tanking is a no go. So somehow Pat is going to have to work out how he can improve this roster next season to get it to that next level because if he doesn't figure that out it is going to be another 40-odd win season and first round exit. And that's working on the basis that the Pistons or some other team doesn't improve and push us out. 

• Like 1

If we look at the trade value of our contracts you realize its going to be hard to improve this roster. I have grouped the roster into different categories based in their trade value.

Young assets: Bam, Winslow, J Rich

Veteran assets: Dragic, KO

Hard to move contracts: JJ, TJ, Dion

Movable contracts but not much value in return: Whiteside

Knowing Riley, he'd likely try for a star player like Kawhi. But even if we offer all our young assets our offer won't be able to trump other teams like Boston, Lakers or Philly.  Its more likely we get outbid in a trade for a star than actually getting one. Creating cap space will also be hard, because we have so many unmovable contracts. Based on that I don't see us being able to significantly imrpove via trade of free agency.

Improving marginally will also be hard. We are a tax team next season. The Arisons will mandate cut salary, there's no way they pay tax for this team. Its likely Ellington doesn't come back. I don't see us having a better roster next year, if we do it will be more because our young players made the jump.

Personally I think we should rebuild. Dangle TJ, JJ and Dion for shorter contracts and see if there's a taker, I doubt anyone will bite. I'd move Hassan for an expiring and maybe a pick. I would also move Dragic for a young player. I would keep KO for a mideseason trade, if one presents itself. I think his value will go up next year as he's featured more.Then focus on developing WInslow, Bam and J Rich, with Winslow as the primary playmaker. I would also look to buy a 2nd rounder from this round, and see if I can get a high ceiling player who falls. 

We should rebuild if we fail to find a star. If Riley isn't up to it, maybe its time to go.