Sign in to follow this  
heatchamp45

Offseason Kwahi Leonard to the heat.

Make it happen please. I doubt he wants to play for the spurs anymore. Give the spurs Deadhead whiteside, and dragic and build around kwahi leonard. 

He is a quiet guy who quietly does his job at a high level. And i bet lebron will like to play with him. That will attract lebron.

GO HEAT  BRING ME KWAHI.

Wishful thinking heatchamp and HIGHLY unlikely he comes to Miami. Would be nice though.

Here's the main reason Kawhi will reconsider staying in SA....5 year $219 million dollar contract. No other team can offer something close to that. Plus, he's got the best coach in the league to continue guiding his career and a team that is the second best in the West when he's healthy and playing. Adding LeBron to that team would get the Warriors attention. 🔥 lol

But if we dump whitesides contract we can pay him......I think the rookie center has a lot of potential........At least he plays hard unlike whiteside.........Cant wait till the cavs lose.....Rooting for boston and the warriors to be in the final....Then it will not matter to me who wins it all.

26 minutes ago, heatchamp45 said:

Did you just say 5 years 219 mill....dam thats like 40 mill a year. Crazy.money.....

That's right!!

Kawhi has to think long and hard about leaving that kind of money on the table.

3 hours ago, heatchamp45 said:

Make it happen please. I doubt he wants to play for the spurs anymore. Give the spurs Deadhead whiteside, and dragic and build around kwahi leonard. 

He is a quiet guy who quietly does his job at a high level. And i bet lebron will like to play with him. That will attract lebron.

GO HEAT  BRING ME KWAHI.

So what makes him want to leave an organization like the Spurs? 

- 20 straight play off appearances

- 18 straight seasons with 50+ wins (this would be 20 had 1998-99 season not been shortened by a strike because they were on pace to win 60 games and they won 56 games in 97-98)

- 5 NBA championships 

It makes me wonder what his motivation really is because the Spurs are one of the teams that other teams want to copy because of their sustained success. I could understand his desire to leave if he was playing on a struggling team (e.g. Demarcus Cousins and Sacramento) or a team stuck in no mans land (e.g. Kemba Walker and Charlotte), but he is playing for one of the best coaches of all time and is playing for one of the most successful teams of all time. 

Does he want out because he wants to play in Los Angeles? If so, that rules us out long term and we aren't well enough positioned to take on a one year rental.

Does he want out because he doesn't like Pop's style and wants an easier ride? If so, that rules us out because Riley won't let him coast. 

Or does he want out because he feels another team offers him a better chance at a championship? If so, then we need to put something pretty appealing together to make him want to commit to us long term. I'm high on veterans like Dragic, JJ, Waiters and Whiteside. I believe in Richardson, Winslow and Bam to get better. But to get Kawhi we'll have to make sacrifices (probably at least one of Richardson, Winslow and Bam, plus veterans to make the numbers work) and that might not leave us with enough to make a run in the east and persuade him to stick with us long term. 

I have no issue with going after him. I'd love to see him here. But at the same time we need to be careful that we don't give up too much and end up with egg on our face a year from now because he's opted out and left us, and we've given up a player that breaks out and becomes an all star (i.e. OKC trading Oladipo for Paul George). 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mike1989 said:

So what makes him want to leave an organization like the Spurs? 

- 20 straight play off appearances

- 18 straight seasons with 50+ wins (this would be 20 had 1998-99 season not been shortened by a strike because they were on pace to win 60 games and they won 56 games in 97-98)

- 5 NBA championships 

Plus $219 million dollars over 5 years!!  👀

There is no other team that gives him a better combination of supermax money and also a good chance at a ring. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Majestic said:

There is no other team that gives him a better combination of supermax money and also a good chance at a ring. 

That is crazy money 😲

Unless I'm mistaken the team that trades for him or he heads to in free agency can't offer him anywhere near that amount. Isn't the super max $70 million more than the rest can offer?

If he's happy to leave that kind of money on the table, something must really have gone wrong in San Antonio...

hes staying with SAS. no way he turns down that kinda of money. Once durant went to the warriors, everything changed with the CBA. Even if he wants out, he cant leave because of all the money he will be leaving on the table. Its ok, we will develop a star from within..... gotta believe heat nation! 

with that said though, i heard a rumor that the spurs are the ones who might want to trade him since there sick of all the bullsht and if thats the case he has no say in the matter.... So dont completely rule it out either just yet.... 

21 minutes ago, JustiseForHeat20 said:

with that said though, i heard a rumor that the spurs are the ones who might want to trade him since there sick of all the bullsht and if thats the case he has no say in the matter.... So dont completely rule it out either just yet.... 

I've read there may be a problem with the supermax deal. Kawhi is under contract next season (he has a player option next summer for his final 19/20 year) and there's a 15% trade ticker too. Word is the Spurs org has been reluctant to offer the supermax contract right now. We all know he's been cleared by doctors to play, but he decided to get a second opinion and didn't play the remainder of the RS and playoffs. It's been reported Kawhi's people are concerned about playing next season with the Spurs without the supermax deal and getting hurt again. So, I guess there's tension there with Kawhi wanting some kind of assurance the supermax deal will be there if he happens to get injured. 

13 hours ago, Majestic said:

If its about money he should probably leave San Antonio.  Hes not like Lebron who can transcend the sport and become a global icon regardless of what team he calls his own.  If he wants that new shoe deal and the other endorsement dollars the marketing folks will be steering him to another local.

This super max thing was created with good intentions but its had almost the opposite of the intended effect.  Teams are looking at Griffin and Wall and wondering just how debilitating those contracts are going to be a couple of years from now.  

1 hour ago, propheticWrit said:

If its about money he should probably leave San Antonio.  Hes not like Lebron who can transcend the sport and become a global icon regardless of what team he calls his own.  If he wants that new shoe deal and the other endorsement dollars the marketing folks will be steering him to another local.

This super max thing was created with good intentions but its had almost the opposite of the intended effect.  Teams are looking at Griffin and Wall and wondering just how debilitating those contracts are going to be a couple of years from now.  

supermax was a good idea though, because like if winslow develop in a star, we want to keep him and having that supermax offer increases your chances significantly. Too much money too lose out on and in the nba your value can drop quickly from injuries and how you play, IT is the perfect example. He went from being a potential supermax player and league MVP contender, to a simply a role player on a rebuilding lakers team who may not even bring him back next season. He might have to take an MLE deal with some random team just too stay in the league. Ofcourse, this only happened after durant joined the warriors, but it was longover due.... teams should be able to keep there stars, or else whats the point of developing them? right

46 minutes ago, JustiseForHeat20 said:

supermax was a good idea though, because like if winslow develop in a star, we want to keep him and having that supermax offer increases your chances significantly. Too much money too lose out on and in the nba your value can drop quickly from injuries and how you play, IT is the perfect example. He went from being a potential supermax player and league MVP contender, to a simply a role player on a rebuilding lakers team who may not even bring him back next season. He might have to take an MLE deal with some random team just too stay in the league. Ofcourse, this only happened after durant joined the warriors, but it was longover due.... teams should be able to keep there stars, or else whats the point of developing them? right

Its a great idea if Winslow turns into Harden.  What if he turns into Paul Millsap?  The supermax puts teams in an uncomfortable position with those not quit top 10 types like Griffin and Wall.  They don't want to shell out that percentage of the cap to those type players but the players clearly think they deserve it.  

20 hours ago, Majestic said:

Wishful thinking heatchamp and HIGHLY unlikely he comes to Miami. Would be nice though.

Here's the main reason Kawhi will reconsider staying in SA....5 year $219 million dollar contract. No other team can offer something close to that. Plus, he's got the best coach in the league to continue guiding his career and a team that is the second best in the West when he's healthy and playing. Adding LeBron to that team would get the Warriors attention. 🔥 lol

One angle missing in this discussion is whether Spurs would want to pay $219 million for any one player even if they can fit him under their salary cap!! 

Does the ownership want to dish out such numbers to any player.  It is $$$ at the end of the day.  Maybe they can get someone else with lesser $$ for building a contenting team

Kawhi would be leaving tons of money on the table if he left San Antonio, but when is enough enough? Unless something catastrophic happens, it's not like he won't be getting another deal in this league for significant cash as well. Unless he has huge dreams after his retirement (and he does not seem to be that type of guy at all) he'll still easily clear 150+ million in his career.

If he doesn't like San Antonio, I don't think the supermax deal is going to keep him.. he's still going to get paid, and it's still going to be a lot of money.

Whether we can make a package to get him remains to be seen, but he does seem like a buy low type of guy out there at the moment, and the type of player and star you can build around.

20 hours ago, Majestic said:

When is his supermax contract due? in 2 years? That is a long time...

1. He'll require some serious trade talks

2. He'll ask for max contract

3. He just got off from injury

4. Rental for 1 year not sure if he'll sign with us

5. We gave too much for dragic (at least i think) will we do it again?

6. He got a Circle like lebron got..

2 hours ago, propheticWrit said:

Its a great idea if Winslow turns into Harden.  What if he turns into Paul Millsap?  The supermax puts teams in an uncomfortable position with those not quit top 10 types like Griffin and Wall.  They don't want to shell out that percentage of the cap to those type players but the players clearly think they deserve it.  

oh well... it was the only way to help teams keep the star players.... i agree with it because it puts emphasis on drafting and scouting... we need to improve at that. we cant no longer just expect to land stars in free agency. Got to up our drafting game. Beasley over westbrook is a prime example.

1 hour ago, HeatFanSince97 said:

Kawhi would be leaving tons of money on the table if he left San Antonio, but when is enough enough? Unless something catastrophic happens, it's not like he won't be getting another deal in this league for significant cash as well. Unless he has huge dreams after his retirement (and he does not seem to be that type of guy at all) he'll still easily clear 150+ million in his career.

If he doesn't like San Antonio, I don't think the supermax deal is going to keep him.. he's still going to get paid, and it's still going to be a lot of money.

Whether we can make a package to get him remains to be seen, but he does seem like a buy low type of guy out there at the moment, and the type of player and star you can build around.

i think maybe he sees how old that core is and wants some younger players to ball with... Look at the celtics ffs, there young core just came into the league and there 2 games away from a finals appearance (without any stars) if they can pull it off. Ya pop is great, but even lebron wanted help when he came to the heat. Kawi is a champ and FMVP already, but maybe he wants more.. and just isnt working in san antonio. they dont have the weapons to compete with GSW.

1 hour ago, JustiseForHeat20 said:

i think maybe he sees how old that core is and wants some younger players to ball with... Look at the celtics ffs, there young core just came into the league and there 2 games away from a finals appearance (without any stars) if they can pull it off. Ya pop is great, but even lebron wanted help when he came to the heat. Kawi is a champ and FMVP already, but maybe he wants more.. and just isnt working in san antonio. they dont have the weapons to compete with GSW.

This could very well be the case too. The problem is that we just can't get him for free... picking him would involve us giving up players. Players we'd need to surround him with if we want a shot at championship.

I do think the money issue might be blown out of proportion, whether he gets a max or a super max deal, he is going to be making bank. If he doesn't like it in San Antonio, he can find some place he likes and still rake in an absurd amount of money.

2 hours ago, caneworld said:

One angle missing in this discussion is whether Spurs would want to pay $219 million for any one player even if they can fit him under their salary cap!! 

Does the ownership want to dish out such numbers to any player.  It is $$$ at the end of the day.  Maybe they can get someone else with lesser $$ for building a contenting team

I did touch on that subject above. Peter Holt is not a Billionaire so he needs the Spurs to make a profit to stay solvent. As I said above, the Spurs have not offered the supermax contract to Kawhi. He's still under contract with a player option next summer. I think both the Spurs and Kawhi are questioning the future of that deal. Kawhi's representatives are concerned about him playing this coming season with the possibility of injury and no agreement concerning the supermax deal and the Spurs concerned about Kawhi not wanting to make a commitment to the Spurs beyond next season. It seems to be very much up in the air right now. 

2 hours ago, caneworld said:

When is his supermax contract due? in 2 years? That is a long time...

Spurs can offer him the supermax contract this summer. But, the Spurs/Holt have to strongly believe they will get a "max" return on their investment. Kawhi not playing in the playoffs  after being cleared by doctors has caused Holt to be more cautious about going ahead and offering the massive contract extension. On the other hand, if they end up trading Kawhi it could throw SA into a rebuilding scenario and possibly ending the 21 straight years of making the playoffs. As of a couple weeks ago, it was reported that Kawki and his reps are waiting to see if the Spurs offer him the supermax contract and if they do, then try to repair any damage with the team, which was partly due to what they believed was a misdiagnosis of his right quad leading to the current injury. There seems to be a lot of issues that have to be worked out here. This could carry on throughout the entire summer before anything definitive is decided.

you know if the spurs wants to trade him it wont be to a west team but an east team. IMHO.

ahhh what the hell its good to dream sometimes.

1 hour ago, JustiseForHeat20 said:

oh well... it was the only way to help teams keep the star players.... i agree with it because it puts emphasis on drafting and scouting... we need to improve at that. we cant no longer just expect to land stars in free agency. Got to up our drafting game. Beasley over westbrook is a prime example.

The problem is that it doesn't help with the truly great players.  Lebron is underpaid at 30 mil or 40 mil, and just like with Kawhi the difference probably isn't going to sway him one way or the other.  Lebron pull in 50-60 mil a year from endorsements alone.  The players it helps keep are those that you're not sure are deserving of the contract in the first place.

Its the right idea....just poorly implemented.

33 minutes ago, heatchamp45 said:

ahhh what the hell its good to dream sometimes.

It's like a #1 draft pick dropping to your #10 pick. lol

3 minutes ago, propheticWrit said:

The problem is that it doesn't help with the truly great players.  Lebron is underpaid at 30 mil or 40 mil, and just like with Kawhi the difference probably isn't going to sway him one way or the other.  Lebron pull in 50-60 mil a year from endorsements alone.  The players it helps keep are those that you're not sure are deserving of the contract in the first place.

Its the right idea....just poorly implemented.

LeBron is the exception. Nobody gonna make the kind of endorsement money he's making, especially Kawhi. Leonard and his reps are waiting to see if SA offers the supermax deal. I get the feeling he wants the deal. I'm just wondering if Holt wants to spend that kind of money on one player. It will be interesting to see what he does since Ginobili, Parker and Gasol are on their last legs. Spurs could get some good young talent and excellent draft picks for Kawhi if they want to rebuild the next couple years.